Roast Selwood and Danger

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are you getting the 6.5 a game stat from? Footywire has him at 4.14, which is better than Fyfe, Martin, Cripps and the reigning Brownlow medallist.

That’s not to say he can’t improve his DE though, but it will always be lower due to many disposals being under pressure.

In finals I got it at 38 in 6 games or almost 6.5 per game.

Last edited:

I think Partridge is an acute analyst therefore doesn't shift his point of view very often.
I like the way he says it how he sees it.
Keep it up Partridge.

I'm more than happy to when the evidence indicates it.

I'd love nothing more than to see us win the flag and Scott and others make me look stupid. That would be fantastic. I don't see it in the near future the way we're going. Hope I'm wrong.

Really? Even when danger has been objectively s**t in finals barring the game he played forward we have to blame the rest of the team instead?

As long as he isn't the worst then people will still think Dangerfield played well.

The problem is he and Joel are getting old, you cant expect 28+yo mids to still be dominating finals like they did in their prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the exact reasons but there's a fair argument our 3 musketeers under delivered in 2018
Was it Dangers back/lack preseason ( although he still had a stellar year overall) , Gazzas hammy concerns or Joels wear and tear - who knows?

All that matters now is their response.
No doubt they are a proud group so let's hope they respond by atoning on the field - if they prepare and perform strongly the flow on effect will be very positive on the rest of the group.

Not sure of the exact reasons but there's a fair argument our 3 musketeers under delivered in 2018
Was it Dangers back/lack preseason ( although he still had a stellar year overall) , Gazzas hammy concerns or Joels wear and tear - who knows?

All that matters now is their response.
No doubt they are a proud group so let's hope they respond by atoning on the field - if they prepare and perform strongly the flow on effect will be very positive on the rest of the group.

Statically they didn't where others failed, l think lack of support will cause further regression unless some youth step up this season.
Other clubs know once you blanket a few of our key players especially Hawkins, Ablett and Dangerfield it's game over.
But fortunately they carried the team through most of the year until the pressure of finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statically they didn't where others failed, l think lack of support will cause further regression unless some youth step up this season.
Other clubs know once you blanket a few of our key players especially Hawkins, Ablett and Dangerfield it's game over.
But fortunately they carried the team through most of the year until the pressure of finals.

Definitely more support will assist - and it needs to as the three aren't getting any younger.
Kelly , Duncan and Menegola were great at times and hopefully Parfitt, Narkle , Cocky and a few others can add depth.
I also think a more effective ruck and clearance set up will also assist along with a more effective game plan with quicker ball movement :thumbsu:

I'd rotate Selwood and Danger at the clearances, have Parfitt spending at least 50-60% in the guts. You will get more defensive running with Parfitt in there.

Kelly, Menegola, Duncan rotating through there depending on match setups and player resting.

Gaz stays Forward 90% time, I'd be hoping for at least 35 goals from him down there. I also think the 666 format will help with Rohan deep in attack, as he can mark overhead and is fast on the turnovers.

Disagree with this part, in the last few finals series our top 6 have been as much at fault as anyone. Dangerfield has been ineffective or outright poor in just about every final he's played for Geelong (the Sydney loss in 2016 the exception). Selwood's undisciplined act this year was even worse. Imagine for one second if any other player had done that - let's say, Stanley, Kolodjashnij, or Parsons. What would the reaction be? As it was he yet again showed he can't handle a tag.

I'm struggling to think of one player who was consistently performed well in finals in the last 7 years. It isn't just the second tier that's let us down, and that absolves the stars when they don't deserve it.
Your right it isn't just the second tier.
Actually a couple of young players have looked the most composed at times.
I think Bews has looked good. Doesn't seem to get flustered and actually takes the game on more for some reason.
But yeah, it's hard to think of 1 other consistent performer in several years.
Selwood has been a great finals player. In recent years though it's been hard as we are so predictable everyone knows just to sit on him cause that's where the ball is going to be.
Thus he has a campaigner of a time. Whether that's tactics, his own ego not to sacrifice his game or both, I dunno.
Danger gives everything. Absolutely no doubt. Just that you pay more for erratic kicking in finals and tries to do to much himself at times.
But he probably thinks he has to, and has a case.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned previously as I haven’t read the whole thread but watching danger not man the mark correctly (ie hands on hips / one arm goes up / not even facing kicker) really infuriates me. If danger can’t be bothered doing it right what example does this set for our youth. Danger is a class player and brilliant when motivated but if he wants to be a respected leader he needs to give 100% all the time. I can’t really fault Selwoods effort and leadership (other than a couple of brain fades) as I’m sure every other club would kill to get a captain with similar persistent hunger for the contest and courage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back