Review Semi-Final #2 2021 - Geelong Cats v GWS Giants, 7.50 pm AEST Fri 3 September @ Optus Oval, WA

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
So very very proud of this club.

I could bang on about the umpires obvious pissed at Greene and the club, the media (still no stories about the high shots that would of given Greene multiple weeks).
But I wont.
Will just say the boys showed why our motto is Never Surrender.
Fought until the end.

will talk about the season once that thread goes up.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Disappointing end to the season but they clearly played their guts out for so long and to even make finals is such a good achievment. Got so much young talent that can all take steps in development next year: Ash, Cumming, Taranto, Briggs, Flynn, Hopper, Cumming (and others) all are really promising or already proven stars with more room to grow. So good to see Bruhn and Stone are already showing really strong signs I think both showed high level flashes throughout the season and tonight should both be fixtures of the side next year. Couple more top picks next year and top 4 should be in sight for years to come as some of the older guys begin to age out. Was frustrating watching Cogs tonight, tackled really well again but just not finding a ton of it or handling it cleanly hoping he can put a healthy season together next year and look great again with a good pre-season under him.

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
lots of thoughts

mostly disjointed

bare with me

never surrender - cooked in the third, down to a walk, came back in the last to honour the jumper.

liked Ash‘s game one of his best, I thought. glad Stone re-signed.

Pez had a couple of absolute shockers

cam guthrie an absolute dog going after mummy’s back late in the last. hawkins a dog. selwood a dog. Tuoey best on ground.

umpires didn’t cost us the game.they gave geelong a leg up/head start, and were pi$$ poor - but we were outplayed most of the night.

cogs did some nice things that were probably missed by most, but still scratchy. will be better for a pre-season

Davis justified his recall.

give Stein & Sproule contracts tomorrow

bobby hill brilliant in very small patches. needs to involve himself more.

BT is the most horrible commentator in the history of commentating

brayshaw rattled off a list of our outs late in the last and Eff me, it was a long list.

a forward line of Cumming & Haynes was…. interesting.

mummy was immense all night and retires an absolute legend of this club.

there‘s more, I’m sure but that’s it for now

we made it into the second week of the finals after being on the road for how long? with all our injuries? proud of the boys and (apart from a few obvious games) proud of the season.

and as with all footy - there’s always next year

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
The internet has noticed the umpire reaming.
Some familiar names there.
I don't think Geelong will get a free ride against the Dees.

Coming of age for Ash tonight.
He has had good games in the past.
But a huge game, I think he was our best. Had an accountable role, but also managed a stack offensively, most complete performance.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
The side performed amazingly this year despite the strength and conditioning team chronically underperforming which led to half the side being injured and costing them any real chance.

Geez Bruhn looks the real deal! Arguably the best of the Vic kids from last year's draft. And he had a stack of junior injuries so still pretty untapped.

NorthcoteDee

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne

Hopefully you're right - "I don't think Geelong will get a free ride against the Dees".

The umpiring was disgraceful tonight.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Oh wow, the headline was too close to the bone for VFL HQ.

It’s been changed now to be more neutral.

Here’s a screenshot of the original for posterity.

IMG_5586.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Disappointed with the loss but the Cats were too good on the night and Hawkins was immense although it was on the back of an inexperienced defence and the mids dominating to provide those opportunities

No commentary on Selwoods elbow on Haynes pi@#*s me off and the umpires are just too afraid of the criticism they will get from the club with the bigger supporter base along with the commentators

I will be cheering on the Demons next week

Massive game by Mumford and those that doubted his ability to back up should be admiting they were wrong

Brave call by Cameron to have Stone and Bruhn come in and shows the ability they have and the coaches and supporters will be ready to back them in in 2022

Great experience to play at a big game at Optus and Ash and MDb had good games with Lloyd/Perryman having below average games

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Round 23 - Eddie Betts retires. Giants give him a gift, guard of honour and Phil co-chairs him off the ground.

SF - Mummy retires. Cats ignore him and chair off Selwood.

That’s the cultural difference between the two clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And Mummy was a significant geelong player as well. Suppose they were distracted by Selwood breaking their games record.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
And Mummy was a significant geelong player as well. Suppose they were distracted by Selwood breaking their games record.

not a particularly significant player for Geelong - 21 games off the rookie list over 2 years, no finals.

Sydney premiership player - 100 games for us - both much more important in his career than his brief time at the cats.

also, we didn’t even line up and clap him off the field (let alone chair him off). hard for Geelong to acknowledge his contribution if we don’t, particularly when their captain breaks their club record.

also - Phil didn’t co-chair Eddie off - we gave him wine & a jumper after it was announced weeks before hand that it would be his 350th and last game.

much as I love the big Mummify, there’s no comparison between the two, and no disrespect from Geelong last night.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
not a particularly significant player for Geelong - 21 games off the rookie list over 2 years, no finals.

Sydney premiership player - 100 games for us - both much more important in his career than his brief time at the cats.

also, we didn’t even line up and clap him off the field (let alone chair him off). hard for Geelong to acknowledge his contribution if we don’t, particularly when their captain breaks their club record.

also - Phil didn’t co-chair Eddie off - we gave him wine & a jumper after it was announced weeks before hand that it would be his 350th and last game.

much as I love the big Mummify, there’s no comparison between the two, and no disrespect from Geelong last night.
Plus, we don't know what Mumford's wishes were.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Left last night feeling super impressed with Ash, think his best spot is probably off half back but also looks super comfortable on the wing. He's going to be a genuine star and I'm really excited for him was great to see Stone and Bruhn look really comfotable as well.

Back