Review Semi Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for you all. The Lions are well and truly back and hopefully you’ll be up around the pointy end for a while, it’s hard to dislike many of your players. Hodgey in particular is an out and out champ.

Congratulations on the fantastic year.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Over time I’ve become the c’est la vie sort, but we have reason to feel very hard done by here.

What a washout the Prelim weekend is going to be, now.

He basically assaulted Bont. Not saying that his treatment of Neale was fair, but he’s paying for the lesser crime. Doesn’t the substantial fine offset whatever demerits he had?

Double standards at play here. Cotchin was walking on eggshells when he went after Shiel, yet a (clean recorded?) Hawkins wasn’t given the option of a wrist slap. The AFL’s inconsistency on countless levels is definitely a cause for supporter disenchantment.
It’s like the AFL are going out of their way to * our sport over. I’m sick of being bewildered at the inconsistent punishments and messaging that we as supporters receive week in and week out.

That Greene wasn’t suspended last week (and the wording of this week’s charge relative to his actions last week) is an absolute joke. Obviously the fat cats at the AFL thinking pandering to their own egos concerning themselves about the “product” is more important than actually conducting a fair sporting competition.

It’s ****ed.

LethalLions

Senior List
Jul 30, 2006
gabbatoir
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aust Cricket Team, Broncs
Whilst fagan has done a great job I do feel that he can be inflexible at times in the last few weeks.
Eg refusing to put a stopper on dusty last week.
Also some players were obviously playing stiff and injured eg harris has an obvious back injury-stiffness imo as a physio

We are crying out for a tall option io forward and unfort they dont grow on trees. Maybe a top mature age in the vfl or the like?
Also a number of players slipped over last night and were clearly wearing the wrong moulds etc which is not good enough. Eg harris slipping over in the last against that prick cameron

Toby Greene suspended for one week.

A bit late unfortunately.

Just glad he’s been put on notice. Need to get rid of snipers from the game. There’s still plenty of legit opportunities for hard contest, but pinching, pulling hair and scratching is beneath the dignity of our game.

Whilst fagan has done a great job I do feel that he can be inflexible at times in the last few weeks.
Eg refusing to put a stopper on dusty last week.
Also some players were obviously playing stiff and injured eg harris has an obvious back injury-stiffness imo as a physio

We are crying out for a tall option io forward and unfort they dont grow on trees. Maybe a top mature age in the vfl or the like?
Also a number of players slipped over last night and were clearly wearing the wrong moulds etc which is not good enough. Eg harris slipping over in the last against that prick cameron

Last week is an odd example as we outbodied him at contests really well. Once he moved forward it was up to the defender/s on him to stop him and that just didn't happen as he's a gun. I wouldn't call that a result of inflexible coaching.

Straight Talk

Rookie
Apr 7, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
First chance to write since game. Great Year! Enjoyed the Ride! We had a good go. Its a competitive game with an oval ball. Something to build on. Wondering how the back lines will look next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So why was he allowed to play our game?! Do they fear he will actually get hurt by the frothing toothless b&w brigade?
Obviously the AFL ( match review, Michael Christian remember ex collingwood ) prefers collingwood to win than us. Don't know how he cops one week this week and nothing last week, Think i answered in my first sentence. What a mockery or farce or ...........

So why was he allowed to play our game?! Do they fear he will actually get hurt by the frothing toothless b&w brigade?

All seems to come down to the AFL being desperate for a GWS flag.

Everyone (bar the AFL) knows he shouldn't have played last night.

Commiserations on the loss. Definitely should have won.

I've never barracked so hard for a team that's not my own.

Gutted at the siren.

All seems to come down to the AFL being desperate for a GWS flag.

Everyone (bar the AFL) knows he shouldn't have played last night.

AFL needs GWS to succeed with this current crop. Once they are gone the crowd numbers will dwindle even further. Barely get people to games when they've made 3 prelims in 4 years.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
We were unlucky last night, as you are any time you lose by less than a kick. Oscar and Hippy hitting the post in the last quarter when either shot could have won us the game. I thought our defence was not quite as good as there's, with the Finalyson goal bouncing through, the Mumford hand off to Williams and the two last quarter goals to Kelly and Daniels being 4 we could have stopped if we'd a bit sharper defensively.

In hindsight, our non-existent injury list and our 9 game winning streak meant we did not experiment as much as might have in the latter half of the season. I would have liked to see Walker or Lester tried up forward for McStay, Keays for McCarthy or Rayner and Bastinac for someone like Bailey, for a few games in the latter half of the season, but understand why we did not change a winning team. I think we had depth that we did not use this year and that's my only quibble. A fantastic year which was so enjoyable and I'm proud of the way we played last night and looking forward to going further in 2020. Congratulations to all our players and coaches and to the NEAFL premiership winning team!

Last edited:

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We were unlucky last night, as you are any time you lose by less than a kick. Oscar and Hippy hitting the post in the last quarter when either shot could have won us the game. I thought our defence was not quite as good as there's, with the Finalyson goal bouncing through, the Mumford hand off to Williams and the two last quarter goals to Kelly and Daniels being 4 we could have stopped if we'd a bit sharper defensively.

In hindsight, our non-existent injury list and our 9 game winning streak meant we did not experiment as much as might have in the latter half of the season. I would have liked to see Walker or Lester tried up forward for McStay, Keays for McCarthy or Rayner and Bastinac for someone like Bailey, for fewe games in the latter half of the season, but understand why we did not change a winning team. I think we had depth that we did not use this year and that's my only quibble. A fantastic year which was so enjoyable and I'm proud of the way we played last night and looking forward to going further in 2020. Congratulations to all our players and coaches and to the NEAFL premiership winning team!
Yeah that would be my one criticism of Fagans coaching this year, at the business end of the season persisting with rookies when there were harder more mature players to choose from.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah that would be my one criticism of Fagans coaching this year, at the business end of the season persisting with rookies when there were harder more mature players to choose from.
It's hard to be critical but looking at it totally impartially we would have been better off with a couple of harder bodies in this particular game . I guess losing Robinson was a big blow. Some of our younger players like Answerth and Bailey were definitely feeling it at this end of the season. Rayner always looks like he's going to do something but just isn't seasoned enough. Likewise McCarthy and Adams particularly haven't seen a full season before . Andrews and Gardiner both looked to be carrying something.

It's hard shuffling your team when you've come so far .

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We had 10 players play all 24 games this season. Impressive from an injury perspective but I wonder if we should be resting players next season. Obviously it would be player dependent (Zorko doesn’t seem like he needs it) but I think having an extra week or two off could really help some of our guys coming into finals

We had 10 players play all 24 games this season. Impressive from an injury perspective but I wonder if we should be resting players next season. Obviously it would be player dependent (Zorko doesn’t seem like he needs it) but I think having an extra week or two off could really help some of our guys coming into finals

Imo it depends on whether our medical team deems it necessary. If the player will gain nothing from a week off then I don't see the point.

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's hard to be critical but looking at it totally impartially we would have been better off with a couple of harder bodies in this particular game . I guess losing Robinson was a big blow. Some of our younger players like Answerth and Bailey were definitely feeling it at this end of the season. Rayner always looks like he's going to do something but just isn't seasoned enough. Likewise McCarthy and Adams particularly haven't seen a full season before . Andrews and Gardiner both looked to be carrying something.

It's hard shuffling your team when you've come so far .
I'm not saying Fagan should have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But the addition of a bigger mature body was what was needed, look how well Nick Robertson went last night, not the most gifted player but a commited hardnut. Round 23 Cedric Cox got a callup and looked like a fish out ofwater, same with Ainswerth, next to no impact on the game.would have loved to see Lester, Mathieson or Bastinac slot in here instead.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not saying Fagan should have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But the addition of a bigger mature body was what was needed, look how well Nick Robertson went last night, not the most gifted player but a commited hardnut. Round 23 Cedric Cox got a callup and looked like a fish out ofwater, same with Ainswerth, next to no impact on the game.would have loved to see Lester, Mathieson or Bastinac slot in here instead.
I think we left it too late to see how some of those guys would go. We were in every game we played and I guess were thinking well we're not far way with what we've got. The guys in the twos would definitely have been fresher. We looked tired all over the ground last night and it was only the big hearts of Martin , Zorko ,Rich , McCluggage ,Berry , Cameron and Hodge that kept the belief going. and got us going.

We were really stiff.

Back