Review Semi Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We were unlucky last night, as you are any time you lose by less than a kick. Oscar and Hippy hitting the post in the last quarter when either shot could have won us the game. I thought our defence was not quite as good as there's, with the Finalyson goal bouncing through, the Mumford hand off to Williams and the two last quarter goals to Kelly and Daniels being 4 we could have stopped if we'd a bit sharper defensively.

In hindsight, our non-existent injury list and our 9 game winning streak meant we did not experiment as much as might have in the latter half of the season. I would have liked to see Walker or Lester tried up forward for McStay, Keays for McCarthy or Rayner and Bastinac for someone like Bailey, for fewe games in the latter half of the season, but understand why we did not change a winning team. I think we had depth that we did not use this year and that's my only quibble. A fantastic year which was so enjoyable and I'm proud of the way we played last night and looking forward to going further in 2020. Congratulations to all our players and coaches and to the NEAFL premiership winning team!
“I think we had depth that we did not use this year and that’s my only quibble.”

Correct.

Daddy Bolt

Cancelled
May 13, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thats how I saw it, it looked as though Witherdeden just gave up, no doubt he was buggered but sò was everyone else at thatstage of the game, it realy was a despicable effort given it was a critical moment and the winning play of the game.
Don't know what will happen with Witherden come trade, but he definatly has a fitness problem, other members here have been highlighting this all year.
Give it a break and educate yourself .. Daniels is one the fastest sprinters in the entire AFL comp .. once he picked that ball up no-one would have caught him.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still finding it hard after last nights game. Topic on SEN on Brisbane, good year or wasted opportunity. I must admit i feel it is a bit of both. Unbelievable year and completely proud of what the players and coaches achieved. Wasted opportunity though in these last 2 games with goal kicking and especially our inside forward 50 entries in the last quarter last night when dominating. Richmond and the Bulldogs took their opportunities in grand finals when they weren't expected to and we all know how hard this competition is so nothing is guaranteed, but i pray we are back in this situation again soon to hopefully take our opportunity next time.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thats how I saw it, it looked as though Witherdeden just gave up, no doubt he was buggered but sò was everyone else at thatstage of the game, it realy was a despicable effort given it was a critical moment and the winning play of the game.
Don't know what will happen with Witherden come trade, but he definatly has a fitness problem, other members here have been highlighting this all year.
Are U Serious. Have seen that part played many times today highlighting that goal. You could see him trying to catch him but daniels was just miles to quick for him. I reckon if you ran a poll out of 100 it maybe 2 out of 100 in your favour. The only time he may have given up was just before daniels kicked it but he was miles behind anyway. Witherden can only run as fast as he can run and not his fault he ended up having to compete against daniels.

Still finding it hard after last nights game. Topic on SEN on Brisbane, good year or wasted opportunity. I must admit i feel it is a bit of both. Unbelievable year and completely proud of what the players and coaches achieved. Wasted opportunity though in these last 2 games with goal kicking and especially our inside forward 50 entries in the last quarter last night when dominating. Richmond and the Bulldogs took their opportunities in grand finals when they weren't expected to and we all know how hard this competition is so nothing is guaranteed, but i pray we are back in this situation again soon to hopefully take our opportunity next time.

Impossible to know. We may win the 2020 GF and site this years bitter loss as the driving force to our win. On the flipside we could miss the 8 next year and spend countless hours discussing the what if of 2019.

Realistically, we are sad to have miss this opportunity but the truth is we have a very inexperienced team who will gain an incredible amount from his season. With a bit of luck and hard work, anything is possible in 2020.

Impossible to know. We may win the 2020 GF and site this years bitter loss as the driving force to our win. On the flipside we could miss the 8 next year and spend countless hours discussing the what if of 2019.

Realistically, we are sad to have miss this opportunity but the truth is we have a very inexperienced team who will gain an incredible amount from his season. With a bit of luck and hard work, anything is possible in 2020.

Chris Fagan is long game.

We have the systems to keep us competitive. We're not doing a Melbourne. @me later

I am not stressed at all. We'll still play finals next year

We have the systems to keep us competitive. We're not doing a Melbourne. @me later

I am not stressed at all. We'll still win the 2020 grand final to complete my fanfic.

EFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Wasted opportunity.

Heard a couple of good discussions since the game. Even the stats support that on average, two plus teams fall out of the eight from the previous year, just as one top four team exits in straight sets each year.

There is no way we’ll have such a charmed run with injuries and of course, a harder draw. Then there is also the vagaries of player movement which could go the other way too.

You strike when you have the opportunity and we blew it spectacularly. There is nothing to suggest we’ll make the eight again next year or that there will be a period of sustained success in September.

There was a small window to win a GF this year as Essendon did in 93 and it’s not like it is a given that the window is necessarily open in the coming years. A couple of season long injuries to key players and we’ll be back to bottom four before you know it.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Are U Serious. Have seen that part played many times today highlighting that goal. You could see him trying to catch him but daniels was just miles to quick for him. I reckon if you ran a poll out of 100 it maybe 2 out of 100 in your favour. The only time he may have given up was just before daniels kicked it but he was miles behind anyway. Witherden can only run as fast as he can run and not his fault he ended up having to compete against daniels.
Witherden could also have killed the contest or tried marking the ball instead of running into that contest or bodied Daniels out of the contest instead of doing nothing and then quitting while Daniels sailed past him. Not sure how anyone can defend Witherden’s pathetic effort in that last play because every media outlet and former players have clipped his pitiful effort.

Brisbanelions12

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Toby green the want be optometrist. Mr eye gouger himself . Well deserved , you low life . Parasites. R us .Nominating you for the dirtiest player in the afl. Afl looked after you . You should not played against us . Neale did not deserve your probing fingers. Neale is 1,000,000 times the person , you will ever qttempt to be.

Last edited:
There is nothing to suggest we’ll make the eight again next year or that there will be a period of sustained success in September.

Yes there is nothing to indicate that there is a period of sustained success on the horizon if you discount;

1. Most players in best 22 under 22.
  2. One of those players is an All Australian Footballer.
  3. Game style perfectly suited to the 6-6-6 rules that we developed over 3 years.
  4. Impending combination of Run and Gun gamestyle developed in 2016/2017/2018 with our slow down the wings approach from this year.
  5. Undefeated seconds team.
  6. Solid off field team that has re-signed as a group already for next year.
  7. Senior core of players still in their late 20's.
  8. Construction of facilities that will have us earning an extra 1.5 million dollars a year.
  9. Continued establishment and growth of an AFL academy.
  10. Best fitness team in the league that is on the cutting edge of sports science research and the envy of the competition.
  11. Chris Fagan.
Other than that, nothing to indicate we have success on the Horizon.

We just spent 10 years in the dark. You can't seriously have lost all the joy of those 16 wins after 2 finals losses.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I am not stressed at all. We'll still play finals next year
Not sure how anyone can be this sure. The reason Melbourne didn't play was because they had so many players had to go into surgery post/pre season leading to a lot of players playing catchup on their fitness levels etc.

Wouldn't be that much of a stretch to think that we might not have as much luck on the injury front as we did this year.

However, l am hoping all the young guys get better with another pre-seaso and hopefully Rayner can't play as worse as he has done this year.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witherden could also have killed the contest or tried marking the ball instead of running into that contest or bodied Daniels out of the contest instead of doing nothing and then quitting while Daniels sailed past him. Not sure how anyone can defend Witherden’s pathetic effort in that last play because every media outlet and former players have clipped his pitiful effort.
The only thing Witherden could have done or done in hindsight - and this might come with more experience - was to tackle him right at the beginning when he didn't really have the ball. It would have resulted in a free kick against however it would have allowed us to set up behind the ball

Yeah I can; your only as good as your last game and our last three stunk.

Why did you ignore the rest of my post Dylan?

Just the other week you were lambasting "30,000 Richmond fans" for not showing up during the hard times, and now we lose a couple of games and it's all doom and gloom again?

Shameful.

The reason Melbourne didn't play was because they had so many players had to go into surgery post/pre season leading to a lot of players playing catchup on their fitness levels etc.

The reason Melbourne didn't play finals was because their gameplan wasn't suited to the rule changes. Ours is.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Why did you ignore the rest of my post Dylan?

Just the other week you were lambasting "30,000 Richmond fans" for not showing up during the hard times, and now we lose a couple of games and it's all doom and gloom again?

Shameful.
Take your hand off it; shameful, my arse.

The reason I ignored the rest of your post is because three quarters of what you posted has no bearing on sustained success.

Take your hand off it; shameful, my arse.

The reason I ignored the rest of your post is because three quarters of what you posted has no bearing on sustained success.

Dylan, I disagree with many things you say, but I'd never imply dat arse was shameful.

Or did you just ignore the rest of the post because it didn't suit the rest of your narrative?

Every single one of those factors are directly related to on field success.

If you want a hobby that constantly makes you miserable, take up Ant Farms. Little campaigners will always let you down and we won't be subject to your instability all the time.

Back