Review Semi Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell are we doing with our best endeavours to get this right nutter off the hook.

It's not as though he's a cleanskin- cited 18 times. Repeat- 18 times. One of the very few to have a modifies rule introduced to deal with his behaviour.

This idiotic old school "what happens on the field...….." has no place in professional sport, especially when there is a serial offender on the loose.

Does it take a permanent injury eg. loss of sight before acts of total thuggery are called out for what they are?

Fages was asked a direct question by Whately but I'm disappointed that although not "covering" for Greene completely, he seemed to do his best to play down the whole thing. I would have preferred a non-commital answer like " let's just let the process run it's course".

As thing's stand, the comments by Fages has given the Greene camp ammo to work with.

This idiotic old school "what happens on the field...….." has no place in professional sport, especially when there is a serial offender on the loose.

Does it take a permanent injury eg. loss of sight before acts of total thuggery are called out for what they are?

Fages was asked a direct question by Whately but I'm disappointed that although not "covering" for Greene completely, he seemed to do his best to play down the whole thing. I would have preferred a non-commital answer like " let's just let the process run it's course".

As thing's stand, the comments by Fages has given the Greene camp ammo to work with.
Bewildering

What is said publicly may not be what is submitted. Fagan is all about footy being one part of players lives and balance, which is important for mental health. He may not want to add to the public flogging turd Toby is getting.

I’m not that nice.

What is said publicly may not be what is submitted. Fagan is all about footy being one part of players lives and balance, which is important for mental health. He may not want to add to the public flogging turd Toby is getting.

I’m not that nice.

Neither are GWS.

In the aftermath of that other farce where Bont busted their player's throat (and got off scot free), they made it pretty clear they weren't happy with the way Christian handed down his verdict BEFORE he got the medical report.

They weren't all that keen on the "code" on that occasion.

I’m not that nice.

I quite like that we're not bitter about losing. We've certainly experienced a lot of bitterness over the course of the season.

I'm proud of the contrast between Chris Fagan and Chris Scott.

The damning thing ti me about Greene is that both weeks he was not in the play. Both times 2 of his team mates had the victim on the ground, helpless and then Greene flops on top and goes to work. It is not the result of his actions that needs to be questioned - it is his intent.

Without trying to psycho-analyse the guy, I'm not sure Greene can help himself. Reminds me a lot of David Rhys-Jones at his 'peak'. Didn't matter how many times he went up he just kept offending. In both cases anger seems to have a part to play on the field, and possibly off it too. Greene was fined for an assault on a bouncer back in 2014. Got off with a fine and no conviction. Maybe if he had copped a conviction and some form of community service it might have helped his on-field behaviour.

It's not Fages place to pass judgement, nor was it Zorko's last night who's response was similar, or Neales. One day we will have a player over step the mark and you would hope to be treated with the same impartiality that we have shown.

The fact that our players and coach are being asked to offer opions in the first place just highlights how farcical this situation is. If this sort of play was stamped out immediately then this wouldn't be happening - let alone being talked about after the 18th offense.

Perhaps the decision to assess each case on it's merit without any weighting of prioirs needs tinkering with because I doubt he would have played on the weekend had that been the case. Surely there can be a balance between no weighting and too much... or is that too much to ask?

Without trying to psycho-analyse the guy, I'm not sure Greene can help himself. Reminds me a lot of David Rhys-Jones at his 'peak'. Didn't matter how many times he went up he just kept offending. In both cases anger seems to have a part to play on the field, and possibly off it too. Greene was fined for an assault on a bouncer back in 2014. Got off with a fine and no conviction. Maybe if he had copped a conviction and some form of community service it might have helped his on-field behaviour.

One of the few players, apart from the thug the topic of this conversation here, to have a specific rule introduced to deal, in Greene's case with his studs upright habit, and in "elbow" Rhys-Jones' case of carrying the ball and throwing it to the boundary umpire when his salary cap cheat mates at Carltank were good and ready for the throw in.

The standing joke back then was that Rhys-Jones had his own permanent parking spot outside Tribunal HQ.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found out yesterday that if we had won through to the Prelim this week, we would have had at least 3 changes - with Cameron, Martin and Adams all out injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin has a corked leg. Can’t remember where I read it. Given Mumford’s strategy all night was to just run at him and stick the knee in (even when bounces were recalled) it’s not surprising :mad: .

Martin has a corked leg. Can’t remember where I read it. Given Mumford’s strategy all night was to just run at him and stick the knee in (even when bounces were recalled) it’s not surprising :mad: .
The Dogs players privately were scathing about Mumford trying to cork anyone in a contest of any description with him.

That guy should have been banned ages ago ,but like your children if you give people like Mumford and Greene the green light for their actions what on earth do you expect them to do ? They just keep pushing the envelope further.

Mumford's likes nothing better than when he can sling someone from 4-5 feet off the ground and drive them into the ground . I'm amazed he hasn't injured someone very seriously and when that does happen they'll call it an accident.

Martin is injured!? Where can i find this info/what did he and Adams suffer :eek:

Cameron was not the only concern coming out of the three-point loss to the Giants, with ruckman Stefan Martin (corked leg) and defender Marcus Adams (rolled ankle) also suffering injuries.

Both will be fine in the coming weeks.

Yeah it's fair to say had we won against GWS that we would have gone into the Pies game with a very sore team. Charlie would have been no hope and Stef looked unable to move late in the last qtr thanks to that dog Mumford.

If I was Collingwood I would be concerned if they are winning easy going into the last qtr. Think a few GWS players ie Mumford might go nuts.

You'd expect Greene's manager to defend him but even still he went a bit hard with his statements, the new angle clearly shows him raking across the eye area. I like Kane Cornes because he stirs things up a bit but disagree with him strongly here.

I see no reason why GWS won't use that stupid aggressive physicality again. It absolutely worked v the Dogs. Not sure if that was the deciding factor against us, but now they are revved up by the loss of their golden boy. Though if the articles are true, Mumford is trying to turn over a new leaf... maybe he realised how he got smashed by a quality workhorse ruck like Martin and is wracking his brain on how to beat Grundy :)

I see no reason why GWS won't use that stupid aggressive physicality again. It absolutely worked v the Dogs. Not sure if that was the deciding factor against us, but now they are revved up by the loss of their golden boy. Though if the articles are true, Mumford is trying to turn over a new leaf... maybe he realised how he got smashed by a quality workhorse ruck like Martin and is wracking his brain on how to beat Grundy :)
He'll try the same against Grundy.

Though if the articles are true, Mumford is trying to turn over a new leaf... maybe he realised how he got smashed by a quality workhorse ruck like Martin and is wracking his brain on how to beat Grundy

Call me cynical but whenever that stuff is publicised (even when we did similar earlier in the year), it always seems to me to be "well we're trying" to get a bit more leniency from the umps for a few weeks. After all GWS only need a week or two now.

The Dogs players privately were scathing about Mumford trying to cork anyone in a contest of any description with him.

That guy should have been banned ages ago ,but like your children if you give people like Mumford and Greene the green light for their actions what on earth do you expect them to do ? They just keep pushing the envelope further.

Mumford's likes nothing better than when he can sling someone from 4-5 feet off the ground and drive them into the ground . I'm amazed he hasn't injured someone very seriously and when that does happen they'll call it an accident.
This pic from Stefs instagram. That's a lot of bruise and a lot of scratches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-161835_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190921-161835_Instagram.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 223
Notice how hands off Mumford's being in the pies game? ******* grub gets stuck into our players and pretends to be a choir boy against c'wood.

Back