Review Semi Final, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs [Moratorium on negative opposition posting]

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really annoys me now that social media has got a hold of the Rayner Mathieson clip that the odd person are taking cheap shots at Mathieson.
Sure you may not like him on field, that’s fine but what do you as a middle aged person with a garden bed as a profile picture personally gain out of bullying or putting down another human showing some vulnerability.
He’s a misunderstood individual Rhys. Haven’t enjoyed the ridicule he’s received this year.

The odd person isn't worth worrying about The Zork , Rhys has made a bit of a rod for his own back, with his on field ducking (in the early days) and theatrics, the media have run a mile with it, but in the end I think footy is richer for it.

He'll always be a target for the simple minded opposition supporters because he triggers a response in them.

Those simple minded individuals are also the first ones to complain because players are too bland these days too. i.e. Player doesn't give enough in an interview, don't tell us what they are really thinking, just go for cliches, are too much like robots on the field etc etc.

Football needs characters, Rhys is certainly one of them, probably has more support from general followers than you realise, namely because people with something negative to say are a billion times more likely to post it on social media than someone with something positive to say. True fact that one.

So gutted, can’t even imagine how the players are feeling.

Hopefully the Big O is not blaming himself.

Was a strange season, it never felt like we could get ourselves into a position of advantage. The losses to the saints, tigers and hawks amplified that at the back end of the season.

Still feel we have a lot to learn/master. There were regular in game lapses in which we let the opposition take control, we were lucky that on a few occasions that it did not translate to the scoreboard. Also feel we need to get cleaner with our disposals, we can be a bit sloppy and this limits our capacity to get a decent break on teams.

Whilst there is a lot of frustration in losing this game there is no shame. IMO the only final in which we have choked was last years prelim. That premiership was ours for the taking.

Really looking forward to next year and seeing Rayner and Hipwood back out there. Excited to see the continuing development of Coleman, Prior, Payne and Robertson. We will need to get through a fair bit of the season without Hipwood so some challenging times ahead. This year, and particularly the past month, has us better prepared to deal with those challenges.

Also think we need a few tweaks to the team, would like to see more of Madden as I like his pace and will for the contest. Hopper from GWS would be a nice fit or perhaps we can inject another quality midfielder through the draft.

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Dogs get an armchair ride with the umpires each week. It has an impact last night.
What’s more galling is we have them absolutely covered both ends of the ground and in the ruck, but couldn’t capitalise.
Expectation isn’t a bad thing. The dogs are a good side… comparing the lists, I expect us to be better.
6 losses at the Gabba in 3 years, 4 in finals just isn’t good enough.
There’s no terminal problem and no overreaction is needed, we just need to be better.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dogs get an armchair ride with the umpires each week. It has an impact last night.
What’s more galling is we have them absolutely covered both ends of the ground and in the ruck, but couldn’t capitalise.
Expectation isn’t a bad thing. The dogs are a good side… comparing the lists, I expect us to be better.
6 losses at the Gabba in 3 years, 4 in finals just isn’t good enough.
There’s no terminal problem and no overreaction is needed, we just need to be better.

Don't know if this is a coaching problem or player issue. But when we don't have the ball the mids away from the contest do not stick to their man. It's a big reason we lose matches.

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Don't know if this is a coaching problem or player issue. But when we don't have the ball the mids away from the contest do not stick to their man. It's a big reason we lose matches.

Also think one issue is when it’s not going our way, we often slow things down to a stop and kick long down the lines to contests. We don’t really have the players to suit that game style and it hasn’t served us well yet.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Question: If we finished 5th, beast Essendon and then lost in the same fashion to the dogs, is our season viewed differently?

It would be different. We would have won at home and lost on the road, that would have been viewed as a succsess I think.

It is the losing at home that really hurts, in your scenario we would have won at home and lost by a point on the road.

Good discussion point though. I said initially, 5th probably suited our psychological position better.

We really just needed to win a final this year, no matter what, that was my goal anyway.

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We played poorly, but I don't think I've ever seen a team deserve to win a final less than the pitbulls last night. Had the umps all night, one extra on the bench, 3 of their goals were floaters from the pocket and they won by a rushed behind

Pedro59

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
northern rivers NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We played poorly, but I don't think I've ever seen a team deserve to win a final less than the pitbulls last night. Had the umps all night, one extra on the bench, 3 of their goals were floaters from the pocket and they won by a rushed behind
Lions were totally robbed by the refs and at crucial times . As a neutral Port supporter I am shocked and disgusted how bad it was.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What rumours are these?
20210905_213449.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really annoys me now that social media has got a hold of the Rayner Mathieson clip that the odd person are taking cheap shots at Mathieson.
Sure you may not like him on field, that’s fine but what do you as a middle aged person with a garden bed as a profile picture personally gain out of bullying or putting down another human showing some vulnerability.
He’s a misunderstood individual Rhys. Haven’t enjoyed the ridicule he’s received this year.
There will always be haters. And dipshits. Matho kind of riles up that kind of reaction so it's not surprising. Look at what he copped for likening himself to a barometer.

That embrace from Rayner has to be one of the most warm fuzzy things I've seen for a while. You can really see how much it means to them.

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel like our coaching staff could have been the difference in this one:

Lester for Payne - loved Payne's competitiveness. But Lester looked so much more assured when he came on. Has played 150 games, plenty of those forward, has been a Fagan favourite, but he plays Payne forward instead for his first ever game out of defence? That was a really poor move and doesn't make any sense, apart from being so obsessed with having 3 talls that you think you have to play a 197cm player instead of a 192cm player.

Ah Chee for Cockatoo - Cockatoo well worth the risk and could come good. But was so far short of it in the first final with four possessions, and had 5 in the semi final.

Birchall for Anyone - so many of their goals were ground balls. Put in someone with pace and mobility for Birchall and surely some of them don't happen.

Even umpiring would also have meant we would have won it. 10-2 in the last quarter and some of the ones they paid. Still livid. But we can't do anything about that.

And Berry going down hurt a lot i thought. He didn't start well but appeared to be clamping Libba well. And he's our best defensive mid in terms of running patterns.

Just such a frustrating thing to wake up on a Monday and we are not in a prelim. That would have been a win this year - another finals win, good experience for players to get the win, withstand the pressure. Free hit at Port.

Fine line between something that hurts and makes you want it more, and starting to feel like chokers.

Was I the only one worried when Fagan said 'this game won't define us, win or lose?' Of course it was going to. Would you say that before a grand final? Really odd stuff. Say it after the game. Players need to be able to cope the pressure of a knockout final, not think there is always next year. Love the bloke but I don't think he has had his best year.

That boy is whipped
Ah, the toxic masculinity approach of "men who consider a marriage a partnership where decisions are made together must be denigrated".

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
That boy is whipped

No he isn't, he's just a good husband. When Lachie wanted out of freo his Mrs upped sticks and moved across the country with him. Now that she's pregnant she wants to be closer to family, it's his turn to repay the favour.

I do feel for Lachie though because wasn't the whole reason he wanted out of freo because he didn't like how casual they were about training and game prep or something?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel like our coaching staff could have been the difference in this one:

Lester for Payne - loved Payne's competitiveness. But Lester looked so much more assured when he came on. Has played 150 games, plenty of those forward, has been a Fagan favourite, but he plays Payne forward instead for his first ever game out of defence? That was a really poor move and doesn't make any sense, apart from being so obsessed with having 3 talls that you think you have to play a 197cm player instead of a 192cm player.

Ah Chee for Cockatoo - Cockatoo well worth the risk and could come good. But was so far short of it in the first final with four possessions, and had 5 in the semi final.

Birchall for Anyone - so many of their goals were ground balls. Put in someone with pace and mobility for Birchall and surely some of them don't happen.

Even umpiring would also have meant we would have won it. 10-2 in the last quarter and some of the ones they paid. Still livid. But we can't do anything about that.

And Berry going down hurt a lot i thought. He didn't start well but appeared to be clamping Libba well. And he's our best defensive mid in terms of running patterns.

Just such a frustrating thing to wake up on a Monday and we are not in a prelim. That would have been a win this year - another finals win, good experience for players to get the win, withstand the pressure. Free hit at Port.

Fine line between something that hurts and makes you want it more, and starting to feel like chokers.

Was I the only one worried when Fagan said 'this game won't define us, win or lose?' Of course it was going to. Would you say that before a grand final? Really odd stuff. Say it after the game. Players need to be able to cope the pressure of a knockout final, not think there is always next year. Love the bloke but I don't think he has had his best year.

Wish I could go back to just after Froggy kicked the goal to put us 3 up. Was a carefree time.

Last edited:
Relax was just a joke

a) jokes are funny.
b) that line, or variants of it, are bandied around a heap on BF when players request trades. There's a massive attitude of "well player X obviously wouldn't want to leave off his own bat, so it's his partner that's forcing him to do it" and derogatory terms for both the players but especially the partners. It's pathetic and disgusting and borderline (at best) misogynistic, to be honest.

I believe you that you intended it as a joke and you may not have been aware of BF's historically poor attitude on it, so consider it just a TIL then.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rhys is looked upon negatively for a few reasons:

1. He’s the competition’s worst ducker. Lots of players do it …. he is the undisputed king.
2. He is disrespectful to his opponents. The way he carried on earlier this year in the face of Richmond players when the game was won and Lions were well on top was embarrassing. He hasn’t achieved a thing and felt the need/desire to be a sore winner. Again, many players are competitive beasts, but he clearly gets ahead of
himself based on his ability/achievements.
3. After that win he called himself Brisbane’s barometer. So he has no awareness of his place in the game (currently) which rubs people up the wrong way.

He reminds me of Richmond’s Jake King from yesteryear …. the sort of player to be a sore winner or start a fight when 10-goals down. Just no awareness of appropriate emotions/actions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are you trying to achieve here?

God Richmond supporters make everything about themselves.

Back