Review Semi Final, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

Dec 1, 2013
I've posted this on the dedicated thread but this slow footage of the whole incident, not just the point from where Berry's hand is across Oliver's face, really looks as though a Oliver bites his finger right before Bez tries to force him off...

Thats the video l saw of Oliver biting him. As much as l want him to get off, l can't see it likely. It looks like a raking motion over his face, and if Oliver did bite him and Berry used that as part of his defence, then the AFL's lawyer will just say that he was angry because he bit and raked over his face. I reckon Berry knew what he was doing, he was just angry and lashed out. Fingers crossed tho

Dec 1, 2013
This might be the one but not quite fingers in eye, but I think Berry got charged by the MRO with "unreasonable or unnecessary contact to the eye region"

View attachment 1505328
I wonder if we could fight the charge "unreasonable or unecessary"? Huge guy on top of him, choking with forearm, biting, fearing for safety for all of these regions and just trying to get him ass any way possible. Woiuld that be classified as necessary?

Aug 18, 2022
Thats the video l saw of Oliver biting him. As much as l want him to get off, l can't see it likely. It looks like a raking motion over his face, and if Oliver did bite him and Berry used that as part of his defence, then the AFL's lawyer will just say that he was angry because he bit and raked over his face. I reckon Berry knew what he was doing, he was just angry and lashed out. Fingers crossed tho
The thing with the raking action though, Oliver turns his head away at the same time Berry connects, so again it looks worse than if Oliver didn't move his head in the opposite direction

Apr 11, 2016
Chelsea
I wonder if we could fight the charge "unreasonable or unecessary"? Huge guy on top of him, choking with forearm, biting, fearing for safety for all of these regions and just trying to get him ass any way possible. Woiuld that be classified as necessary?
We only need to get it from intentional to careless and it goes from a suspension to a fine

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
Valleys. Chelsea.
Flew back into Brisbane early this morning. What a bloody fantastic night it was, the most excited and emotionally involved in a game I've been for a long long time, the feeling on the the final siren was sensational.

1- Fab5 is not enough, the whole team was great but the best for me were Berry(BOG), McCluggage, Fort, Hipwood, Rich, Zorko, Cameron, Neale.

2- Berry's 2nd half was at the top end of elite footy for me.

3- Fort is every bit an AFL ruckman.

4- I thought time had just about passed Richy by but he played his best game of the season when it counted, great performance.

5- The Lions supporters out barracked the Demons supporters easily, we put them to shame.

6- Bring on the Cats.

Oh and by the way > F..k Jetstar🤮, they sent us a text 4am Friday morning cancelling our flight and offered an afternoon flight to Melbourne via Adelaide:rolleyes:, we ended up getting a flight with Virgin leaving at 9am.... never again Jetstar.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
Chelsea
Without sounding too presumptuous I thought we'd win at half time.

Melbourne have coughed it up like this a few times this year. They didn't bury us when they had the chance and that was it.

But without Berry and Neale who were both supreme in the last half we couldn't have done it.

I was amazed at how Fort was able to take Gawn on and keep going . Is Oscar better ?
Gawn was a lame duck and has been for a few weeks

Thomasno

Sep 9, 2021
No way that was intentional. Should be a fine only,if anything.
And no fine for Oliver jamming his forearm into Berry’s throat while lying on the ground? I thought that was rough conduct. Christian is a total joke,bases his decisions on what his mates in the Melbourne media say. Should have been sacked years ago,has absolutely zero credibility.

You just know that they’re going to bring up Duty of Care of something, very easy to turn around and say well what about Oliver’s duty of care to not go for the throat, and he didn’t even get fined for that.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
Valleys. Chelsea.
The Dockers v Pies game was over early, we left 10 minutes into the final quarter, Dockers were shocking, no dare in attack whatsoever.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
Chelsea
You just know that they’re going to bring up Duty of Care of something, very easy to turn around and say well what about Oliver’s duty of care to not go for the throat, and he didn’t even get fined for that.
Who initiated the wrestling? Who is in the position of strength? I will be amazed if it is not downgraded at the Tribunal

oliver pressing down with both hands on berry's injured shoulder too

he should know how much it sucks having weak shoulders considering im pretty sure hes had his reco'd

any respect i had for clayton oliver has evaporated

This might be the one but not quite fingers in eye, but I think Berry got charged by the MRO with "unreasonable or unnecessary contact to the eye region"

View attachment 1505328
Unless if Harrison Petty has 2 left hands, then that is Dayne Zokos own hand in his own face.

FeastOrFamine

Feb 19, 2022

What a terrible take from Lloyd. Why can't we win the flag? We just played our best footy for the year on Friday, at a ground we haven't won at since 2014.

And I guarantee that if we lost, the narrative would be that Melbourne are right in the race for the flag. Typical

Jan 11, 2008

What a terrible take from Lloyd. Why can't we win the flag? We just played our best footy for the year on Friday, at a ground we haven't won at since 2014.

And I guarantee that if we lost, the narrative would be that Melbourne are right in the race for the flag. Typical

Like clockwork…. can always rely on Lloyd to put us down. One of the saltiest going around, the lions have been living rent free in his head since 2001.

Thomasno

Sep 9, 2021
oliver pressing down with both hands on berry's injured shoulder too

he should know how much it sucks having weak shoulders considering im pretty sure hes had his reco'd

any respect i had for clayton oliver has evaporated

As if you’d have any respect for him in the first place. He’s a grub and a sook on a level that makes the likes of Dangerfield envious; while also being half the player Dangerfield is.

How he’s rated so highly is beyond me. He’s an accumulator and a hack kick that benefits from being in the best midfield in the comp. Transplant him to a team without Gawn/Trac/Viney and he’d be exposed pretty quickly. Glad he’s eating up a massive chunk of Melbourne’s salary cap; and being paid more than petracca to boot. Lmao.

nup

Jul 25, 2022

Thank you for sharing this, its all the incentive I needed to shell out for another trip down. Lets go you good thing!

2001 still burns.
BTW this tweet was in the replies. For those who like stirring other up it's worth saving this jpg!

Brett C

Oct 11, 2014
Manchester United
Like clockwork…. can always rely on Lloyd to put us down. One of the saltiest going around, the lions have been living rent free in his head since 2001.
Don’t think he’s gotten over 1000’s of lions supporters chanting “Lloyd’s a w***er” as the 2001 grand final wound down and they lost the un-losable premiership.

May 3, 2015
We kicked a goal in roughly the last minute of every quarter.

there was a strange stat around about 2/3 of the goals in the game came in red time

I think a big shift in our game plan was to preserve energy to run out quarters and the game strongly.

Thomasno

Sep 9, 2021
We kicked a goal in roughly the last minute of every quarter.

there was a strange stat around about 2/3 of the goals in the game came in red time

I think a big shift in our game plan was to preserve energy to run out quarters and the game strongly.

Will be an excellent thing to keep up our sleeves against the Gericatrics next week too

As if you’d have any respect for him in the first place. He’s a grub and a sook on a level that makes the likes of Dangerfield envious; while also being half the player Dangerfield is.

How he’s rated so highly is beyond me. He’s an accumulator and a hack kick that benefits from being in the best midfield in the comp. Transplant him to a team without Gawn/Trac/Viney and he’d be exposed pretty quickly. Glad he’s eating up a massive chunk of Melbourne’s salary cap; and being paid more than petracca to boot. Lmao.
i dont think he will ever be anywhere near as damaging as petracca

but his hands in close and contested game are elite. ability to get a handball out in extreme congestion even whilst often being tackled is impressive

hes no lachie neale though. both in terms of character and skill

MacMum

Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
Oh and by the way > F..k Jetstar🤮, they sent us a text 4am Friday morning cancelling our flight and offered an afternoon flight to Melbourne via Adelaide:rolleyes:, we ended up getting a flight with Virgin leaving at 9am.... never again Jetstar.

I had a horrible feeling it could happen to you too and really hoped and so glad you did get to the game..

..and they don't even offer a free cup of tea/coffee while waiting hours. Can see Jetstar folding like Ansett did.

The excuse we got was that it was engineering problemso_O that also doesn't give off good feelings for them. If its staffing issues just say so..

Nov 4, 2011

I'd be pretty happy for the club to continue to fly under the radar a little. The underdog status suits our club a little better in the motivational stakes in my opinion.

Thomasno

Sep 9, 2021
but his hands in close and contested game are elite. ability to get a handball out in extreme congestion even whilst often being tackled is impressive

I’d advise you have a closer look at his “handballs” in congestion, his skills aren’t anywhere near as good as you’re led to believe.

Serial chucker, once you see it you won’t be able to unsee it. Just very good as disguising it.