Review Semi Final, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

"The Fremantle home ground advantage is way stronger than what Brisbane have been able to do"

I think after that statement we only lost 4 Home and Away Gabba games in 4 years.
Gary Lyon absolutely creaming himself.
your quote -‘Hipwood played a better game against Essendon 5 years ago as a skinny teenager. All the flair and joy is gone. Sad to see.’

BRAB
I don’t know if you remember this,I said to stay tough,(refer below) for I know much love you❤️❤️❤️❤️hippy, and he came through tonight in absolutely sensational fashion.

The mark of an absolute professional and to showcase his immense character, to come back from a knee reco the way he did tonight is a testament to Hippy’s relentless desire to be a star of the the game. You have every right, as do all us to be very proud of what Hippy did tonight, because Hippy showed us tonight he is a GUN. And to do what he has done in such a short space of time from what he has had to endure, can only be stated in one word REMARKABLE!!!!

what i stated before IT SHOULD. BE TITLED DON’T LOSE FAITH IN HIPPY.
please be fair to Hipwood, 1st game in round 9 after serious knee injury.Time to judge would be after the 2023 season.It takes a time to build match conditioning again,confidence and the mental toughness after doing a knee. In terms of the 5 years ago and the forward line in general as it is today,I think it is time to get a different line coach to help Hipwood rediscover his mojo.Hipwood has it,he has proven it, he just needs a different approach to bring out his best.Brab I know you love ❤️ Hippy just be patient.

For those saying to play Hipwood in the reserves is completely wrong.7 games to go before finals, I agree with the club to play him in the seniors.The more game time Hipwood gets in the seniors, where the speed of the game is completely different, to that of the reserves,can only be beneficial to our finals campaign.The end justifies the means.

Most ground covered for this game > Harris Andrews 15.2km, wow Harris.

I love how SEN and triple m upload the video footage now - so much better than the commentary that comes through the tv. You used to only be able to hear snippets of it through the occasional AFL360 quad call montage thing.

My fav moment in that one was the Bailey goal to ice it
Can't wait for the day that TV coverage is interactive - maybe thats the wrong word - where you can choose your commentary team through the smart TV that also includes all of these various radio channels. For me, channel 7 is the worst of the lot and I hate in this day and age that we are dictated to as to who we should listen to.

About a month ago, we turned the sound off the TV and put SEN Vic on my phone and surprisingly there was no delay, but it just sounded weird with the audio in our lounge coming thru the mobile.

You may recall my previous post re: the GFL games between Leopold Lions and Colac (not sure how to quote it here). Leopold beat Colac in the Semi after losing to them twice during the season.
Leopold were playing the Prelim Final against Newtown, another team they lost to twice during the season. A goal after the siren sees Leopold win and they will take on St Mary’s ( a team they have beaten ) in the Grand Final
The dream continues …. And so does that of the Brisbane Lions !!

:)
I'm not a fan of his punditry but Whateley's commentary along with the GOAT Anthony Hudson's is spine chilling, love it.

I really really enjoyed watching that - thank you for sharing it!

Was great that Huddo looked as engaged in the play no matter which side was doing it - with BT et al it is which team is doing it that trumps the rest.

:)

I really really enjoyed watching that - thank you for sharing it!

Was great that Huddo looked as engaged in the play no matter which side was doing it - with BT et al it is which team is doing it that trumps the rest.
I was hoping they replayed the Lever moment of madness and 50 - only thing it was lacking t enjoyable all the same.

I've said for ages that Lloyd hates . Yes "hates" Brisbane - he never ever says a kind word about us or our players. Flog - would rather use different words.

All these years later Lloydy…..ya still haven’t learnt 😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodwin having a dig at our culture... ? Sheesh
He's not wrong. McCarthy hasn't punched his mate Lachie in the head while out having some food and drinks yet. Can't have a winning culture without that sort of team bonding

What a night - what an atmosphere (lions supporters were so much louder then Dees ) - what a win. We kicked a goal right at the end of first and second qtr just to stay in touch. We played awful first half - boring down the line. But we were still in it and the Dees ran themselves silly in the first half.

We needed the first goal after HT and Hippy delivered as he did all night - I think he is a better player at full forward. Played his best game since he kicked 6 against the Dees at the Gabba a few years ago. May doesn't like chasing forwards prefers to just wrestle them.

Berry the game changer - best game he has played for the club. He should have been in the centre along time ago. Why we have him on the wing I have no idea. Neale and McCluggage superb again. Darcy Fort take a bow. Took on Gawn and Jackson and matched them all night and kicked an important goal. Super effort from the big man.

Thought our defence was good most of the night especially under the first half barrage. Harris was brilliant all night and looked back to his best. Coleman is a such delight with ball in hand - always looking to make the switch kick. Rich had a good game but he is far too slow kicking the ball in. Love Darcy Wilmot. The kid has bought so much enthusiasm into the side.

Charlie and McStay were good without a lot of the ball. Zorko had the last laugh - played a proper captains match - put his head down and won the ball and didn't engage in verbals.

Dees were yelling at each other on the ground and off the ground in the Stands - was the perfect night :)

Tigers and Dees dealt with next are the pussy cats.

Go the Lions.

Last edited:
Same excuse we got, I would say it is a $$$ problem ie. they just didn't view it as a financially profit worthy flight, they are not trustworthy IMO.

My son, his wife and 3 children went on a holiday to Northern Territory a few years ago and had booked to fly out of Uluru with Jetstar🤮, flight cancelled on the day due to "engineering problem" they ended up having to go home via Melbourne with another airline, IIRC Virgin.

That's the whole cheap flight model - the traveller wears the risk, not the airline.

We have rex tickets for the gf weekend. No experience with them but flights a $100 each way. Booked Thursday down in case, and Sunday home but don't really care if we stay longer.

We have rex tickets for the gf weekend. No experience with them but flights a $100 each way. Booked Thursday down in case, and Sunday home but don't really care if we stay longer.

A couple I was talking to while waiting around at the airport said they had flown with them once before and said the service was 1st class and fares very reasonable..

I will check them out next time going to GC

Last edited:
Yeah Gawn went off for quite a while at one stage and couldn't seem to jump in the last half.

I know we'll play Oscar but Fort is a very strong backup.

Maybe we can play the 2 rucks if Joe takes Paternity Leav

I was told early last week by a Melbourne supporter who has decent connections that Gawn was no better than 60% fit and he sure played that way. But Fort was outstanding as well.

I was told early last week by a Melbourne supporter who has decent connections that Gawn was no better than 60% fit and he sure played that way. But Fort was outstanding as well.
Yes Gawn and Patracca were nowhere 100% but were still in Melbournes best
Patracca good in 1st half but faded in 2nd
Gawn very servicable but that is well below par
However no one in their VFL team would have played any better in those positions
Going into finals with injured players is a risk
Good for us in the end but we can only play who the opposition run on the field with

your quote -‘Hipwood played a better game against Essendon 5 years ago as a skinny teenager. All the flair and joy is gone. Sad to see.’

BRAB
I don’t know if you remember this,I said to stay tough,(refer below) for I know much love you❤️❤️❤️❤️hippy, and he came through tonight in absolutely sensational fashion.

The mark of an absolute professional and to showcase his immense character, to come back from a knee reco the way he did tonight is a testament to Hippy’s relentless desire to be a star of the the game. You have every right, as do all us to be very proud of what Hippy did tonight, because Hippy showed us tonight he is a GUN. And to do what he has done in such a short space of time from what he has had to endure, can only be stated in one word REMARKABLE!!!!

what i stated before IT SHOULD. BE TITLED DON’T LOSE FAITH IN HIPPY.
please be fair to Hipwood, 1st game in round 9 after serious knee injury.Time to judge would be after the 2023 season.It takes a time to build match conditioning again,confidence and the mental toughness after doing a knee. In terms of the 5 years ago and the forward line in general as it is today,I think it is time to get a different line coach to help Hipwood rediscover his mojo.Hipwood has it,he has proven it, he just needs a different approach to bring out his best.Brab I know you love ❤️ Hippy just be patient.

For those saying to play Hipwood in the reserves is completely wrong.7 games to go before finals, I agree with the club to play him in the seniors.The more game time Hipwood gets in the seniors, where the speed of the game is completely different, to that of the reserves,can only be beneficial to our finals campaign.The end justifies the means.
Funnily enough he played the same sort of game he used to play as a skinny teenager - using his pace by getting on the lead, and getting up the ground and then outsprinting his opponent. More of that please! He should be encouraged to lead and get the ball 45m out because often defenders don't mind conceding there, but that is his sweet spot.

After watching the replay a couple of times I changed my votes a bit. First time around, I hadn’t clocked how important Zorks and Rich were for us. Richie’s stats get bumped up a bit from kick-in play ons but he also won hard balls and defended very well. I thought Dan McStay’s game, apart from a couple of lace-out passes to opposition, was really good too. His early errors were induced by taking the game on but he kept taking risks and was excellent. Also, Dev’s last quarter effort was terrific and he went pretty well when he was on Oliver in the first half.
Live, I thought we were awful in the first half but after repeat viewings I don’t think we were too far off the mark. Had Cam not missed a sitter and McStay’s kick off the ground crossed the line a millisecond earlier, we’d have been very close. Also, many of their behinds were kicked under intense pressure or were rushed. We absorbed their best like a patient boxer would and when they’d tired we unleashed some stinging blows and didn’t let up. By the end, the only behinds we were kicking were clad in dark blue shorts.

After watching the replay a couple of times I changed my votes a bit. First time around, I hadn’t clocked how important Zorks and Rich were for us. Richie’s stats get bumped up a bit from kick-in play ons but he also won hard balls and defended very well. I thought Dan McStay’s game, apart from a couple of lace-out passes to opposition, was really good too. His early errors were induced by taking the game on but he kept taking risks and was excellent. Also, Dev’s last quarter effort was terrific and he went pretty well when he was on Oliver in the first half.
Live, I thought we were awful in the first half but after repeat viewings I don’t think we were too far off the mark. Had Cam not missed a sitter and McStay’s kick off the ground crossed the line a millisecond earlier, we’d have been very close. Also, many of their behinds were kicked under intense pressure or were rushed. We absorbed their best like a patient boxer would and when they’d tired we unleashed some stinging blows and didn’t let up. By the end, the only behinds we were kicking were clad in dark blue shorts.
100% agree on Rich, he looked good at the game live but watching the replay Richy was sensational.

Back