Game Day Semi Final - Carlton V Brisbane - Princes Park - Sunday 22nd March 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Go the Blues.

Smack 'em.

Hope the Pies beat the Roos too.

Tayla Harris to go bananas in the semi.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I've rewatched our game against Melbourne again, in the warmup to tonight.

I know next to nothing about Brisbane, but the way we beat Melbourne is largely down to pressure and aggression. They were better around the ball, and had arguably better structures coupled with some genuinely good players; we were much, much harder at it, and we spent all game smashing them. You could see it just before half time, we were hitting them and hitting them, bump after bump then a tackle slamming you into the ground. At around that point, they stopped trying to take on the tackler, and started backing away, shieing away from contact and treating the ball as a hot potato. They had plenty of opportunities going forward after half time, but they kept burning them because they felt like they had to get rid of it immediately.

All of our girls sought to make sure their presence was felt, but we didn't go too far; Loynes could've absolutely pulverized someone in the second term, in the centre square, but at the last second she changed her point of impact from head to leg, and her Melbourne opponent came off with a corkie. Speaks volumes for her character; many people under such conditions get swept up, and in the moment just go ahead and hurt someone.

Where this came into real play was ahead of the ball. We broke their backline, running at them and forcing the ball back in over and over again, precious few stoppages to get a breath in. We scored at least half of our goals due to repeat entries, and forcing them into making mistakes and pouncing.

All I want to see is this against Brisbane. One could wish for marginally better disposal, but I want us to hunt them, and to force mistakes rather than rely on pristine footy. We have the quality in the list, but a hard head and a working ethic trumps talent in footy most of the time.

Unchanged selected team is:
Backs:6. Gab Pound20. Charlotte Wilson
Half-backs:9. Kerryn Harrington8. Vaomua Laloifi25. Jess Edwards
Centreline:12. Lauren Brazzale15. Chloe Dalton10. Sarah Hosking
Half-forwards:21. Nicola Stevens7. Tayla Harris3. Darcy Vescio
Forwards:30. Alison Downie13. Lucy McEvoy
Followers:16. Breann Moody1. Grace Egan4. Madison Prespakis
Interchange:32. Natalie Plane2. Katie Loynes14. Brooke Walker
19. Georgia Gee11. Jess Hosking
Emergencies: 31. Brooke Vernon22. Courtney Jones

Noticed a few other of the Irish players in aflw have headed home too. Would be a difficult time to be away from your family and friends. Hope to see her back.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
They've changed the finals system and brought it forward. Go girls!

I wondered for a minute why Carlton’s AFLW side are playing West Coast today and Brisbane tomorrow as Google is still showing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I know it doesn't belong in this thread, but ...

rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

Rain gonna have an effect?
Yep. We'll have to stay indoors.

Might have to tinker with our possession game if it gets a bit scrappy. Keep pushing it forward. Maddy at the bottom of the packs will still work out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back