Unofficial Preview Semi-Final : Changes against The Cats - Fri 3 September 2021, 7.50 pm AEST @ Optus Oval WA

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that was Cumming
Yeah, I'm wondering if a commentator mixed up Cumming and de Boer - they look vaguely similar and commentators have shown they're pretty unknowledgeable. I didn't hear the comment about de Boer being injured - someone else in my family heard it and relayed it, but I couldn't confirm it either way.

Think it's likely just a furphy. Whew. As much as I think we need to play positive ball players like Green and Ash over MdB, if he can do a defensive job during the finals series, he'll be worth his weight in gold.

I agree it was good coaching that helped us get over the line. Bunts on Stewart was massive. But it is pace and ball movement that sinks the Cats. They want to slow the game down and control the ball. They use possession as a defence. We beat them last time by moving the ball quickly and need to adopt that again. The two rucks makes a slow team even slower IMO. Port beat them through huge pressure and fast ball movement. We can do the same
I agree - which is why we need to get some speedsters back into the side.

Really hope we see Cogs a lot more on the ball this week, his strengths around the stoppages and clearance work is pretty much wasted when he's thrown up forward for most of the game. Thought he played his role quite well, tackling pressure was really good, was crafty in setting up marks for others but it's about to we maximise his skills and put him in the midfield. He had the same amount of centre bounces (3) in the Cartlon Round 23 game as he did aginst the Swans on saturday despite playing an entire game.

Last edited:
Really hope we see Cogs a lot more on the ball this week, his strengths around the stoppages and clearance work is pretty much wasted when he's thrown up forward for most of the game. Thought he played his role quite well, tackling pressure was really good, was crafty in setting up marks for others but it's about to we maximise his skills and put him in the midfield. He had the same amount of centre bounces (3) in the Cartlon Round 23 game as he did aginst the Swans on saturday despite playing an entire game.

One of his great strengths as a player is his versatility. Our midfield has learned to work well without him, so let's make the most of his abilities where we need him. It worked for us on Saturday and it will again on Friday.

One of his great strengths as a player is his versatility. Our midfield has learned to work well without him, so let's make the most of his abilities where we need him. It worked for us on Saturday and it will again on Friday.
Sure the midfield looks pretty good without him but I think it can be even better with him in there, if Cogs is going to be used a flanker again against Geelong then thats a waste of his talent, gives him much time and ability to have an impact on the game when on the ball, rather then stuck up forward he can only do so much. Cogs had 11 touches I wouldn't exactly say that "worked for us" his tackling was good but he wasn't super influential in the victory.

Sure the midfield looks pretty good without him but I think it can be even better with him in there, if Cogs is going to be used a flanker again against Geelong then thats a waste of his talent, gives him much time and ability to have an impact on the game when on the ball, rather then stuck up forward he can only do so much. Cogs had 11 touches I wouldn't exactly say that "worked for us" his tackling was good but he wasn't super influential in the victory.
It comes down to role. OK so you want cogs to have more midfield minutes... but who do you take them off to give him those minutes?

Just looking at footage of the Toby incident from Saturday.

It makes you think of the TV ad he did for Cash Converters, when the voice-over says "He's an unbelievable decision-maker".

They must have had a crystal ball when they wrote that script.

Last edited:
he‘s been engaged in other (some would say more) important matters lately - and with quarantine hubs and time frames he’s not getting back inside the bubble.

I get that but what's going on now? Shouldn't he be quarantining by now in case the club makes a deep Sept push?

TBH I've never understood the parental leave processes for AFL players. Is there anything mandated in their contracts?

It comes down to role. OK so you want cogs to have more midfield minutes... but who do you take them off to give him those minutes?
I'd be fine see Taranto more up forward and Kelly can be great on a wing too, I think there's certainly room for him and room should be made for him

I get that but what's going on now? Shouldn't he be quarantining by now in case the club makes a deep Sept push?

TBH I've never understood the parental leave processes for AFL players. Is there anything mandated in their contracts?
Don't have unprotected sex with your other half between early June and late December?:cool:

I get the impression there have been broader player welfare issues around TOJ.

I could be mistaken, but I think his absence from team selection in early 2021 was never really explained publicly.

I’d love him to be available right now too.

However, I’m inclined to cut him the slack he apparently requires given he’s made a sizeable multi-year contribution to the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t know about mandated parental leave in AFL contracts, but I know where I was for the first couple of months of my son’s life. I gave up the travelling part of my job for those first few months because I wanted (and needed) to be there.

Maybe if there was no quarantine and everyone was at home in a normal year he would still be part of the team, being away for a weekend’s away game or training mid-week - that’s one thing, but having to isolate for 2 weeks to get into a hub, away from your newborn on the off-chance you might play? no thanks.

is he a big out? yes
can we cover his position? also yes

we‘re a family club and family comes first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green - out for season
Kennedy, Reid, Cumming - test
Preuss, XOH, Daniels, Shipley - not available this week
Mumford must be technically fit, but you'd expect Briggs to get the nod.
Kennedy, Reid, Cumming might have to get the bath salts and sticky tape treatment and wheel them out once more.
I still think Stone is a chance and Hill a probable inclusion.

We think De Boar or Ash plays a tagging role this week? Danger seems like the obvious target but his disposal was quite poor against Port and didn't look very effective. Could see Duncan, Danger and Guthrie all be potential targets, a Cogs run with role could be effective if he's not wasted up forward. Thought it was pretty clear at halftime that Parker should've been targeted in some way but they let him run free and was very good in the second half.

We think De Boar or Ash plays a tagging role this week? Danger seems like the obvious target but his disposal was quite poor against Port and didn't look very effective. Could see Duncan, Danger and Guthrie all be potential targets, a Cogs run with role could be effective if he's not wasted up forward. Thought it was pretty clear at halftime that Parker should've been targeted in some way but they let him run free and was very good in the second half.
Dangerfield has a suspected broken hand. They can't numb it so he has to play through the pain.
Duncan or Guthrie are likely to be tagged. I would be surprised if Guthrie has two stinker finals in a row.

Matt de Boer is a flexible player and may even play as a defensive forward and rotate with the mids.
Cats won't fall for the same thing again (could they?) and our injuries will force a few positional changes.

Though it's hard to really tag more than one player, otherwise it becomes a bit of a game of keepsie-offsies. They'll have a look at who from Geelong they think has maximum effect, but will need to be prepared to change if someone else gets off the leash. Still need all the mids to be able to switch from attack mode to defence instantly.

Possibly HH to play a negating role on Jack Henry, who was close to Cats' best last Friday?

Though it's hard to really tag more than one player, otherwise it becomes a bit of a game of keepsie-offsies. They'll have a look at who from Geelong they think has maximum effect, but will need to be prepared to change if someone else gets off the leash. Still need all the mids to be able to switch from attack mode to defence instantly.

Possibly HH to play a negating role on Jack Henry, who was close to Cats' best last Friday?
Not sure thats the best use of HH's ability, maybe Buntine get's a re-call and plays a similar role on Henry as he did on Stewart he would be a fairly like for like replacement with Reid if he can't get up.

What a waste of HH

Henry was ok I agree but he was the spare defender a lot

Your greatest ever win in the 2019 prelim was without toby green. A stack of injuries as well. I think your biggest strength then and now is your midfield. I think your midfields better then that finals series.

toby green is amazing but i think your best season happened when tim taranto was at his best in 2019. he is back to his best form and he is older. hopper is older and better. kelly, whitfield are better placed than in 2019. whitfield had an appendix out i think.

Probably going to see a lot more TT up forward with Toby being suspended this week and with Tom Green's absence that opens up quite a bit of midfield for the coaches to utilise. Probably gets spread around to Cogs, Bruhn maybe see Ash/MDB get some run through there as a defensive option. Think our midfield still matches up quite strongly with Geelong's and that's a battle we're capable of winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back