Unofficial Preview Semi-Final : Changes against The Cats - Fri 3 September 2021, 7.50 pm AEST @ Optus Oval WA

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Tend to agree now that Toby's out, TT does that role up forward, and rely on Ward/Hopper/Kelly heavily in the centre, with some Ash/Cogs/Bruhn run through and MdB tagging/defensive role somewhere. Shame we're also without XOH. It might open the way for Bobby to come back in with his zip.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Based on new info:
Out: Mummy, Green, Greene
In: Briggs, Peatling, Bruhn.

Brown/Hill Sub
Agreed, think thats my perferred in's and out's for this week assuming Cumming is healthy, I'd be fine with dropping Reid as well the injury risk as well as not being too flash last week, would be happy to see Buntine as his replacement an ideal like for like swap, plenty of experience, solid enough as a defender and we've seen can have success playing a defensive forward role also.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Probably going to see a lot more TT up forward with Toby being suspended this week and with Tom Green's absence that opens up quite a bit of midfield for the coaches to utilise. Probably gets spread around to Cogs, Bruhn maybe see Ash/MDB get some run through there as a defensive option. Think our midfield still matches up quite strongly with Geelong's and that's a battle we're capable of winning.

Yeah I liked TT up forward last time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Possibly.

Tanner is a first year player though and this is a brutal final coming up. Hill has more big game experience for mine.

Tanner’s a better player and a better fit structurally with the expected side so he should play! No big game experience is way overblown if you can play you can play and Bruhn certainly can.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Are there any reports that Mumford is out or is that just assumed cause he has played 1 game in a row? There is a bye pre grand final if we make it that far so he gets a rest in a couple of weeks if we are good enough.

Assuming Greene and Green are the only forced changes then:

Haynes Taylor cumming
Perryman Stein Whitfield
Kelly Ward Kennedy
Tarranto HH MDB
Bruhn Hogan Lloyd
Mummy Hopper Coniglio

Ash Idun Sproule Reid
Sub: Hill

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
There's no point resting Mumford, fair chance it's his last game. Exchange the baton, Briggs plays for Toby. Kenners for Reid, Bruhn for Green. Sub whoever we have left.

Fwd setup of Hogan out of the goal sq, Harry roam, Sproule mobile CHF he kicks 50m goals no problem and defends well at ground level for a big guy. Briggs/ Mumford using their bodies, blocks, crash packs, drag defenders away if they have a tall match up. DeBoer pressure fwd. Lloyd. I don't see Hill having any impact in a match like this not playing for a month or more. Cogs needs to play up the ground more this week.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
There's no point resting Mumford, fair chance it's his last game. Exchange the baton, Briggs plays for Toby. Kenners for Reid, Bruhn for Green. Sub whoever we have left.

Fwd setup of Hogan out of the goal sq, Harry roam, Sproule mobile CHF he kicks 50m goals no problem and defends well at ground level for a big guy. Briggs/ Mumford using their bodies, blocks, crash packs, drag defenders away if they have a tall match up. DeBoer pressure fwd. Lloyd. I don't see Hill having any impact in a match like this not playing for a month or more. Cogs needs to play up the ground more this week.
I think Mummy has to have a seat, if he was coming off a week of rest then we should for sure play him but he looked pretty cooked in the second half and I have to imagine that's only going to happen sooner this week. Briggs played great against Geelong a few weeks ago and has played really well all season and it would be good to repay the faith with a big game. Briggs can run out the entire game with a bit of help from Sproule (who looked really competitive in the ruck against Sydney) and play's a similar style that will require minimal adjustment from the players. However I think they likely stick with Mummy instead.

I have to be honest I’m absolutely guttered Toby has been wiped out for the rest of the year. He is quite easily my favourite opposition player to watch. I absolutely love the guy. I love the way he goes about it. I love his hardness at the footy but most of all I love his character and edginess. He is a one of a kind player. The most exciting player in the league. He is the reason we turn on our TV screens. The finals this week won’t be the same without him lining up. All the best for the rest of the finals series Giants. Out of every team in the finals I’d love to see you do well and take it all. Do it for Toby.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think Mummy has to have a seat, if he was coming off a week of rest then we should for sure play him but he looked pretty cooked in the second half and I have to imagine that's only going to happen sooner this week. Briggs played great against Geelong a few weeks ago and has played really well all season and it would be good to repay the faith with a big game. Briggs can run out the entire game with a bit of help from Sproule (who looked really competitive in the ruck against Sydney) and play's a similar style that will require minimal adjustment from the players. However I think they likely stick with Mummy instead.
You can’t just infer that someone who was tired on Saturday is still tired and sore on Friday

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Possibly.

Tanner is a first year player though and this is a brutal final coming up. Hill has more big game experience for mine.

172d74dbd1e559df0e03cbed8c38b932.jpg

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS

So finlayson definitely out with the north of his child yeah ?

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
You can’t just infer that someone who was tired on Saturday is still tired and sore on Friday

I think it’s a pretty safe bet, considering mummy’s dealing with an assortment of injuries all year. Hey if Mummy’s good to go and he feels fine to play then by all means play him over Briggs this week. I think it’s safer bet to get sustained play from Briggs this week throughout the whole game rather then some of the un even performances we’ve seen from Mummy this year when he begins to get tired later in the game (which is totally understandable because it’s a miracle he can still play considering his age and injuries) and lose effectiveness.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr

And if mumford and Briggs end up playing 70% time each, that is ok. Players like taranto can spend extra time on the ground as they spend a fair bit of time forward.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t like the idea of two rucks this week. Geelong are without steward but they are still a well organised defense with intercept markers. We need to isolate tall forwards in the forward 50 or go smaller IMO

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Back