Unofficial Preview Semi-Final : Changes against The Cats - Fri 3 September 2021, 7.50 pm AEST @ Optus Oval WA

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t like the idea of two rucks this week. Geelong are without steward but they are still a well organised defense with intercept markers. We need to isolate tall forwards in the forward 50 or go smaller IMO

With Sproule, Hogan and HH we have enough talls to compete in the air. Get the smalls in the forward 50 to put pressure on and use the open space.

The cats have been successful for years playing a tall back 6, clocking up space and taking intercept marks. They can do this easily on the narrow GMHBA surface. Their problem is they get to finals and play on bigger grounds and their talls can’t cover the ground so their defence leaks like a sieve.

Green and Greene out will help our balance (don’t get me wrong I would prefer them to be available) against the cats if Leon picks the right players to come in. Hill/Bruhn/Kennedy with a bit of zip gives us a real shot this week.

With Sproule, Hogan and HH we have enough talls to compete in the air. Get the smalls in the forward 50 to put pressure on and use the open space.

The cats have been successful for years playing a tall back 6, clocking up space and taking intercept marks. They can do this easily on the narrow GMHBA surface. Their problem is they get to finals and play on bigger grounds and their talls can’t cover the ground so their defence leaks like a sieve.

Green and Greene out will help our balance (don’t get me wrong I would prefer them to be available) against the cats if Leon picks the right players to come in. Hill/Bruhn/Kennedy with a bit of zip gives us a real shot this week.
Agree with those ins :)

We are deservedly at long odds to win this week. We have the ABILITY to beat them... I just think it is unlikely.

Im happy enough if we bow out this week after the year that was. That said.... .I'll be running around my living room in my undies if we somehow get up.

The only way I can see it happening is is a star like Hogan announces his return

The one we really miss is Daniels. He was part of the PF team, along with Hill and Kenendy.

We didn't have Toby then and we can win without him now, just have to hope that Cumming, Kennedy and Reid are good to go.

We are deservedly at long odds to win this week. We have the ABILITY to beat them... I just think it is unlikely.

Im happy enough if we bow out this week after the year that was. That said.... .I'll be running around my living room in my undies if we somehow get up.

The only way I can see it happening is is a star like Hogan announces his return

He knows Optus well

Would be pretty keen to play well in Perth

I think the Hoges kicks 4. That seems to be his number

4 in memory of Toby

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mumford has declared himself good to go.
Interesting to hear Cogs talking about his role coming back into the side, maybe we're going to keep seeing him played primarily as a forward hopefully not

Last edited:
Mark Mcveigh one of our assistant coaches said an interview on the Giants Twitter account that they really like Tanner Bruhn as an option to replace Toby as a high HF so that seems pretty safe to assume that one change will be:
Toby out Tanner in
Cogs also said in his media avaliabilty that he expects both Cumming and Reid to be avaliable for selection

Mark Mcveigh one of our assistant coaches said an interview on the Giants Twitter account that they really like Tanner Bruhn as an option to replace Toby as a high HF so that seems pretty safe to assume that one change will be:
Toby out Tanner in
Cogs also said in his media avaliabilty that he expects both Cumming and Reid to be avaliable for selection
Im not too sure about Reid. I think his role is important but can we trust his body?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leon said they're thinking about pairing Briggs and Mummy together this week, if Mummy needs the support because he's not able to carry the bulk of the ruck work by himself then he shouldn't be playing this week because he doesn't have the ability to rest up forward or float down back as an intercepting mark when he isn't in the ruck, Briggs is able to handle most of the ruck duties with a chop out from Sproule. Leaves us with less speed and zip that we've all thought has been so crucial over the last month or so I'd rather just play Briggs on his own.

I just don’t like the Mummy selection. Briggs was great against them a month ago. Mummy will be cooked.
Could see him really struggling in the second half while they can rotate Stanley and Sav the whole game keeping each other fresh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back