VFL Game Day Semi Final, Richmond vs Essendon, North Port Oval, Saturday 08/09/18, 12:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Im going out on a limb here but the AFL guys you know what your'e going to get. It was our VFL guys that set up the win for us today.

A.Heppel. Hind, Younan, Lazzaro shows a bit, ditto McQueen. Harrison showed something in the clinches.
I agree that those VFL players you mentioned all need to play to a high level for us to hold our own and so far they have been terrific. But the triumvirate that I mentioned are holding up very well. It’s a real advantage to have such quality tall defenders outpointing their opposition through either cutting off forward thrusts or killing a contest. It has really struck me just how important they have been in our two finals along with Hartley. That is a very solid defensive unit. I really hope Hartley stays on our list.

As an aside, I thought Lazzaro showed a lot. Seems to do the right thing more often than not. Is probably too slight for AFL level in one-on-ones you’d think.

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Surprised there are no write up or highlights on the Essendon web site. Tigers had their video highlights of this game up 30 minutes after the game.

Great effort when you consider BOG (Ridley) is only a 19yo, as is Draper. And the older Zerk-Thatcher and Mutch have only just turned 20. Francis just turned 21.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
'Wouldnt surprise me if Ridley is ahead of Gleeson by the start of the season if he does a full preseason'

Not looking like a bad call based on past few weeks.

Both can play in the same side. Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Mckenna and Saad are locks then probably Gleeson and Ridley as the 7 defenders if i havnt forgotten anyone.

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
'Wouldnt surprise me if Ridley is ahead of Gleeson by the start of the season if he does a full preseason'

Not looking like a bad call based on past few weeks.

Both can play in the same side. Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Mckenna and Saad are locks then probably Gleeson and Ridley as the 7 defenders if i havnt forgotten anyone.

Redman is the only other bloke to squeeze in for 2019 (unless moved up into more of a wing role) but yes, those would be the first 7 picked at the moment I'd reckon.

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Redman is the only other bloke to squeeze in for 2019 (unless moved up into more of a wing role) but yes, those would be the first 7 picked at the moment I'd reckon.
Reckon Zerk-Thatcher should be given game time up back in seniors although he is not a lock in.

Mutch's hardness at the ball was great when it really counted. He matched the Tigers hard nuts. And he is a good size. He plays a big bodied Heppell role and must be given his opportunity in 2019.

And Draper had over 60 hit outs in first final and close to 20 possessions. Not quite as good yesterday but still played really well. Reckon he must get a taste in the seniors in 2019. Ruck will be interesting with McKernan and Daniher possibly spending more time in the ruck along with TBC.

How about Nick Hind? Should we draft him?

Last edited:
Even though it’s ‘just’ vfl, I think the experience of playing in finals is going to do our younger players a world of good when playing in big games in the future.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

Yeh not sure how all 8 can fit in. Id like to build the confidence of redman and Ridley down back still before pushing them to s wing. Redman can certainly be a wing/half fwd down the track if needed.

No doubt we will have injuries and suspensions so a strong back 8 all will get plenty of games

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeh not sure how all 8 can fit in. Id like to build the confidence of redman and Ridley down back still before pushing them to s wing. Redman can certainly be a wing/half fwd down the track if needed.

No doubt we will have injuries and suspensions so a strong back 8 all will get plenty of games
Think the answer is that Gleeson will be in trouble by about the 1/2 point of the season, if not earlier.

Francis, Ridley and Redman could, and probably should, all go past him pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of Ridley, Redman or Gleeson played with goddard in the side

Gleeson would have played every one of his 60 odd games with Goddard in the side, potentially every single one of them

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It helped us in 1984, 1993 and 2000 to win the Reserves Premiership the year prior - just saying.

Also our alignment with Bendigo and therefore a substandard reserves team links up pretty closely to our worst time in history.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Free kicks are Section 15, with 15.2 regarding free kicks relating to possession.
15.2.1 States that bouncing counts as possession
15.2.2(a)States you can have the ball for as long as you want unless Correctly Tackled and that you comply with 15.2.2(b) which is that you bounce it every 15m - 15.2.2(b) also says that doing a Bartlett and hand balling to yourself is still possession.
15.2.3 Holding The Ball States that (a)(i) a free kick will be paid if in the opinion of the ump a player who has possession and prior opportunity (defined elsewhere) does not correctly dispose of the football immediately when Correctly Tackled
15.4.1 Defines a correct Tackle as one in which the player being tackled has possession of the ball (as per 15.2) and that the tackle is above the knees and below the shoulder.

That's it, there's no separate rule about being tackled while bouncing, its the same as any other prior opportunity incident. The difference (and the grey area) appears to be that tackled while bouncing seems to be the only instance where the umpire deems that there is absolutely no chance for the player in possession to break the tackle, and that just touching the player bouncing the ball counts as a Correct Tackle.

Would Dustin Martin etcl have been penalised for holding the ball if he was fending off a player who was touching him with their finger tips (as per McKenna) or had is jumper for a brief moment (Hind) before breaking free? in 99% of cases the answer is no because it deemed that tackle wasn't applied for long enough. The rule for each instance is the same, yet only one is considered to be a free, and understood by some that way despite not being articulated or shown anywhere. What you have then is this odd grey area of 'accepted wisdom' that isn't written into the rule book.

As I said in the McKenna thread way back when, I met Leigh Fisher about a week after that call and ask him his thoughts. He said he would have paid it because it was in the rules. When I asked where he admitted he didn't know and we went through the Laws to find it, coming up only with what you see above.
I've since happened to be in the same room as two other umpires and they had a similar understanding that it's in the rules, but couldn't explain where.

The only reason I find it interesting is that everyone seems to 'know it's a rule', except no-one can ever nail down why or where it's stated explicitly, or why it's treated differently to every other holding the ball interpretation. Sure we all learned that it was a rule in primary school, but that doesn't really help McKenna or Majak Daw or Alier does it? And the reason I keep bringing it up when it comes around is that this grey area, and umpires admitting they don't fully know the rules, is exactly why instead of appointing random committees, the AFL should have full-time umpires who can spend time reviewing the Laws for discrepancies like this and ensuring that the intent of the Laws is carried out on the field
Well said!

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Just finished watching a replay of this game and the calls for Hartley as BOG are ridiculous. Ludicrous. Yeah, he was good. Look who he was playing on? A guy 5cm shorter and 11kg lighter &/or a kid of the same dimensions.

Of the guys deserving of praise imho are;

Jordan Ridley - Bossed the game. Plays so much like Rob Murphy it's not funny. Built for AFL football and in a pressure cooker situation like a VFL final, he was brilliant.

Nick Hind - A VFL Bomber who should be on an AFL list next year. Crucial run and carry at certain times of the game to tilt it in our favour. A genuine class about this 24 year old.

Aaron Heppell - Surpringsly effective game in what was a low possession gathering day. Did everything asked of hi today and another who is just built for finals pressure football.

Nino Lazzaro - Special praise for this young bloke in his 10th VFL game. Went about it with no apparent nerves in a final. Will only hold him in good stead. one to watch for our future and one who could potentially step up in class.

Kobe Mutch - Will find the footy with concrete boots on in the middle of the ocean. Needs to better utilise this ability but another very good game none the less.

Michael Hartley - Was very good considering the opposition but the calls are a little silly. Good role today.

Onwards and upwards next week. Bring on Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back