Autopsy SEMI FINAL: Sydney vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Rewatched the game.

Nankervis and Naismith worked around the ground and got themselves to contests.

Mids clicked - parker tries to do a bit too much. Felt he was trying to prove a point.

Really liked XR. Natural forward.

Heeney was a beast.

Aliir had a few brain farts- trying to be a bit cute

Kennedy... what would we do without him?
sometimes parker can be guilty of trying to take one too many on...sometimes just needs to take first option

I was really impressed with Nankervis. That pass to Buddy was ace, but his work to bring the ball down was excellent, and some of his ground work around the ruck contests was...dare I say it...Mummy like. Tough choices for the coaches, because I thought he has shown a bit more than Tippett since Tippo came back before the jaw.

I like Rohan but his value is overstated by some degree. If nothing else we should have learned by now that our fortunes rest on the ability of our midfield group turning up first and foremost. That is not to say he doesn't add anything but if our mids turn up it won't really matter who is there to get on the end of it. Will probably get howled down but Cunningham can play Rohan's role, except perhaps for the strong marking.
Completely forgot about Cunningham. Yes. He is one that has some explosive dash that we will need to replace. Towers also.

I was really impressed with Nankervis. That pass to Buddy was ace, but his work to bring the ball down was excellent, and some of his ground work around the ruck contests was...dare I say it...Mummy like. Tough choices for the coaches, because I thought he has shown a bit more than Tippett since Tippo came back before the jaw.
Yes. Nankervis was very good I thought. The 3 rucks can play if Tippet is responsible only in the fd 50 arc and the other two interchange together off the bench. Geelong play very tall too. But we will need to compensate for their lack of pace by bringinging in a fast, explosive player like Jones, Cunningham or Towers.

And.... I don't want to see Nanka traded.

I hate to talk umps but I do agree. There is no way we were twice as bad as Adelaide in the free kick count.

There is either genuine ump bias (which is a horrible thought) or the rules unfairly target teams that play a high pressure game.

Either way it stinks.
We all know that momentum is easily swung with a few 50-50 calls going the other way.

The 2 holding frees could easily have been paid against the forwards IMHO. Better still.....Play on! I noticed Parker in particular get pinged a few times for incorrect disposal (almost no prior opprtunity) after nearly having his right arm ripped out of its socket. Opposition midfields do this to Kennedy too. Not good enough or brave enough to get in for the pill first. Instead, hanging back and waiting for the cheap free. I think our mids should tap it on or kick it on to our advantage to an outside runner more often to combat this if they have somebody on their hammer.

The 2 holding frees could easily have been paid against the forwards IMHO. Better still.....Play on! I noticed Parker in particular get pinged a few times for incorrect disposal (almost no prior opprtunity) after nearly having his right arm ripped out of its socket. Opposition midfields do this to Kennedy too. Not good enough or brave enough to get in for the pill first. Instead, hanging back and waiting for the cheap free. I think our mids should tap it on or kick it on to our advantage to an outside runner more often to combat this if they have somebody on their hammer.
Spot on

Hewett quietly does a role without getting much of the ball

Watching him and Nankervis warm up early on with kick 2 kick was interesting
Think hewett had to chase balls going over his head every 2nd kick

What an amazing game!
Every single player that had a down game last week responded.
Every single question mark hanging over the team was answered emphatically in the first quarter.

It's interesting, because I felt like we were capable of putting in this sort of performance, but the soft run into finals and the performance against GWS had me questioning whether I had overrated us and that perhaps we would find it difficult to replicate against the best sides. Last night well and truly answered any questions I had.

Was most pleased to see Benny fire. He's got it in him, I hope he continues with another 2 big games.
Was also good to see Heeney respond and put in a massive performance.
Always knew JPK was going to play like a bull. Was still a star after the hit last week, but was definitely feeling the effects. He's an absolute warrior. Just performs week in week out. Amazing player and so happy he's a swan.
Buddy's back
Nick Smith responded well and kept Eddie quiet

We brought that manic pressure from the start, the whole team responded.

ps Injuries suck!
Like everyone else, I was so pleased and relieved that we turned on such manic intensity last night, after the very ordinary display the week before.

The only thing that still concerns me is why we didn't bring that manic intensity last week.

Like everyone else, I was so pleased and relieved that we turned on such manic intensity last night, after the very ordinary display the week before.

The only thing that still concerns me is why we didn't bring that manic intensity last week.

I'm not overly concerned. I was concerned going into the crows game. But the players responded and now have proven to themselves that if they bring that pressure they can go all the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay, very satisfying two hours!

Just a handful of points -

Adelaide had their best 22 on the park last night, not one injury to be covered, we were three short of our best 22, Tippo, Mills, Jones

Our team had 7 first year players, or as good as first year players if you count Naismith and X

10 or 11 of our team are rookie upgrades!

A shout out to X Richards, played his best game for us last night, the boy has a future.

I think Parker is exactly the same as JPK, Dangerfield, Priddis and Fyfe in the sense that he's got the physical strength to ram through a pack, so he's well within his right to try. Unfortunately for him he just isn't anywhere near as big as those blokes so he's easier to take down. It's no fault of his own though IMO. It's what the 2016 midfielders strive to do, doesn't make him any worse of a player from those guys just cause he's smaller.

Parker, Hanners and Jack don't get enough love on here

Anyone notice the low TOG% for Buddy in the 2 finals ? 70 and 71 respectively. He averaged 92.1% in the regular season. I suspect he's playing injured.

When was he mainly off the ground though? If the majority of that time was in the last 15-20 minutes when the respective games were done and dusted then it's probably more player management, he looks like he's moving pretty well and definitely kicking well...I'd assume if he was playing injured against the Giants then he would have stayed much closer to goal.

Snap. We've got to find a way to play Nankervis. Station Tippett at FF.

Also the speed of Towers and or Cunningham will be required.

When was he mainly off the ground though? If the majority of that time was in the last 15-20 minutes when the respective games were done and dusted then it's probably more player management, he looks like he's moving pretty well and definitely kicking well...I'd assume if he was playing injured against the Giants then he would have stayed much closer to goal.
I don't think he was off for the last 15-20 minutes because I kept looking at our forward line at that time assuming he would be rested but he was still out there

Furthermore 70% is very low for a KPP but when you factor in the time missed injured for JPK and Tippo in the first game and Rohan and McVeigh in the second game it is significantly much lower than usual

I don't think he was off for the last 15-20 minutes because I kept looking at our forward line at that time assuming he would be rested but he was still out there

Furthermore 70% is very low for a KPP but when you factor in the time missed injured for JPK and Tippo in the first game and Rohan and McVeigh in the second game it is significantly much lower than usual
He's playing extremely well if he is injured!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back