Preview Semi Final v Bulldogs @ The Gabba, Saturday 4th September 2021, 7.20pm.

Finals destiny?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Time to dust ourselves off and put the Demons loss behind us and look forward to a great opportunity to get to our 2nd successive Preliminary Final. Huge test coming against a finals hardened team in the Bulldogs, we're coming off the back of a comprehensive loss to the Demons albeit there were mitigating factors/reasons (not excuses) for it. ie. losing McStay early and a down day for a few of our usual stars in Harris Andrews, Jarryd Lyons, Lincoln McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey + the inability of some of the younger/injured players to step up ie. Tom Fullarton, Jaxon Prior. Nakia Cockatoo and Jarrod Berry.

The Bulldogs- We all know how they like to play, zip the handballs around and find an opening for overlap run and a quick counter attack, they like to get the ball in the hands of preferably Caleb Daniel and if he's covered Bailey Dale when coming from the back half. Bontempelli is a huge threat if not kept a close eye on, Naughton can clunk a mark, Weightman good at ground level, Macrae and Hunter get leather poisoning wracking up possessions, Liberatore a contested beast.

Tactics- Simple > pressure, pressure, pressure all over the ground or we go out in straight sets, if we are on in that area I am confident we can upset their zippy over handball style and force them into error. Lower our eyes going into F50.

Changes- Dan McStay is a definite out with concussion, Grant Birchall also looked proppy late in the game. Callum Ah Chee if fit comes straight back in, we definitely need another tall as Joe can't be expected to be the lone tall... Fullarton doesn't play a KPF type game, IMO.

Outs- Dan McStay, Grant Birchall, Jaxon Prior, Nakia Cockatoo, Tom Fullarton.

Ins- Connor Ballenden, Dev Robertson, Jack Payne, Callum Ah Chee, Tom Berry.

Cockatoo will be good for us eventually but he is not up to the pace of a big final yet, Berry and Gardiner lucky, them out would be too many changes, Ballenden to play forward at first but him and Payne can be interchangeable in that regard. Dev Rob, Ah Chee, T.Berry to bring some much needed gut running to the side.

What the result will mean- We are now 1-4 in the Fagan finals era, however the 1 win was a magnificent performance against the eventual premiers so we have shown we can do it on the big stage. Going 1-5 and out in straight sets would throw questions up as to whether our current list can win us another flag, a win and we head to Adelaide against Port who we have matched up really well with in recent times.

Never waste an opportunity in finals footy- I distinctly remember being at Brunswick Street Oval the morning after our 2004 GF loss and Lethal telling everyone assembled there to not get used to making GFs as it is bloody hard to do "it could be another 20 years before we even get the chance" the great man said, these opportunities can pass you by before you even realise what's happening.

The time is now-
1630224965291.png

Tip- Lions by 9. :brisbane: :brisbane:

I'm interested in what my fellow Lions supporters think is going to happen for us in the rest of September, please vote in the poll.

Lester in for McStay if fit. Otherwise Payne. Adams goes forward to play McStay role.
Birchall out. Can't carry him with a sore knee. Ah Chee in if fit.
Fullarton out. Robertson in. Will help with Dogs great midfield. Or literally anyone else, just as long as Fullarton goes out.

Andrews to come back firing and shut Naughton down with no goals. Starc to wear Weightman down perfectly legally ;) with no goals. McCarthy to score 4.1 and have 3 run down tackles on Caleb Daniel. Big O to win the ruck battle, Zorko to have 15 tackles and 15 i50 entries. McCluggage to score 3 goals.

:) GO LIONS!

With the bye being confirmed before the GF(unless they bring the GF forward a week) if the Demons get through they'll be coming off 1 game in a month, if we make it through could be a big advantage.

I don’t feel good about next week. Dogs + umpires.
I'm going to reserve judgement to be honest. We need to work around our lack of forwards for one thing and we need to figure out a way to play under the kind of pressure we normally apply the other way. The Dogs were good today but not as good as the score suggested but they will take a heap of confidence from that.

Lester in for McStay if fit. Otherwise Payne. Adams goes forward to play McStay role.
Fullarton out. Robertson in. Will help with Dogs great midfield. Or literally anyone else, just as long as Fullarton goes out.
Adams can't kick. I was reading before that Harris kicked 100 goals in his draft year so if any backs go forward it should be him. I doubt Fages would make such an extreme change but stranger things have happened.

A key position player that's played less than 20 games...pretty harsh.

what kind of KPF doesn't get a touch in their first game?

With the bye being confirmed before the GF(unless they bring the GF forward a week) if the Demons get through they'll be coming off 1 game in a month, if we make it through could be a big advantage.

Not a fan of the week off between PF and GF. That could easily be us with the disadvantage and it was us last year

Not a fan of the week off between PF and GF. That could easily be us with the disadvantage and it was us last year
Me either but if the advantage favours us this year all good, best idea is a bye 2-3 weeks before finals if at all then the teams that deserve it get the advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d love to see us chuck Harris Andrews forward. He was pathetic on Saturday night. His attitude worse than his play.

In: Achee, Lester

Out: McStay, Mathieson

On the flipside we are now facing two very difficult games against Dogs and Port at AO to even get to the GF week, I would have much rather have taken a weeks off and straight to prelim at home. Our first mission now is to avoid straight sets next week.

Don't think Adams can go forward. Watching Andrews and Gardiner lately they don't seem to be fit so cannot afford to be taking Adams away from the defensive line.

Just had a quick squiz at the Dogs board, they don't rate us much, some of what they are saying makes sense though eg. no KPF depth... Fullarton LOL, slow out of the back, Harris was shocking.

what kind of KPF doesn't get a touch in their first game?

A useless, over-rated hack with no future, no prospects who will never amount to anything and be utterly despised by the fans and forgotten by the entire football community the instant he hangs up his hardly-used boots on his inevitable delisting at the earliest possilbe opportunity should he not do the right thing and fall on his sword prior to playing his second game to make way for a *real* forward with enough guts and grit to do the hard yards and maybe be worth having in the team of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back