Preview Semi Final v Bulldogs @ The Gabba, Saturday 4th September 2021, 7.20pm.

Finals destiny?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else annoyed that in pressers it is a lot of the time impossible to decipher what a journalists question is? Today in the presser Fages answered one question like this (not verbatim)- on Tuesday I was expecting him not to play yer but he was good and is ok to play.

Can anybody with better ears out there tell me who he was talking about? I'm speculating it was either Darcy or Harris.

Note- Fages did raise the possibility of Harris playing forward.. he was smiling though so could have been an old man joke.
Mike Whiting said Dizzy

The more I think about it, the more I'm scratching my head as to how Cal Ah Chee has been left out. Would not be surprised if he's a late in.
After listening to Fages presser, I am not sure there will be any changes.
The only one I didn’t hear him discuss was Birchall and there didn’t appear to be any questions about him specifically.
But I would love for Cal to come in for Birch if he is out.

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
After listening to Fages presser, I am not sure there will be any changes.
The only one I didn’t hear him discuss was Birchall and there didn’t appear to be any questions about him specifically.
But I would love for Cal to come in for Birch if he is out.

He definitely made a concerted effort to play down the pressure to win this game. I just hope the boys can just play their normal game to our strengths and are not reactionary like the 2019 semi final.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you wouldn’t argue against any of those things I have said which are the reasons I don’t believe he is up to it? Your theory is because we score 100 against Collingwood and West Coast we should leave the team as it is? Didn’t say the coaches aren’t looking to improve the team, just made a suggestion I thought would.

Is anyone else annoyed that in pressers it is a lot of the time impossible to decipher what a journalists question is? Today in the presser Fages answered one question like this (not verbatim)- on Tuesday I was expecting him not to play yer but he was good and is ok to play.

Can anybody with better ears out there tell me who he was talking about? I'm speculating it was either Darcy or Harris.

Note- Fages did raise the possibility of Harris playing forward.. he was smiling though so could have been an old man joke.
Question from Whiting regarded Dizzy, so based on Fages response Gardiner is playing

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Believe he has taken ONE contested mark in the last month. He is 6 foot plenty and we have dominated 3 of those games.
It depends what is counted as a contested mark, I definitely remember more than one occasion where he has taken a mark down the line under pressure from opposition.

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A bit puzzled with the Payne selection. With Gardiner/Adams/Andrews you don't need Payne as well, Lester would be a better option.
And if they are planning to swing one forward, Lester is probably the best option out of all of them.

Not really sure why we're playing 10-game kids in knockout games when there's 157 game 29 year old, desperate to enjoy success after sticking by the club through so many tough years, sitting on the sidelines.

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ultimately who do you suggest to take his place? Ballenden? A player with less games/experience and in regards to skill level is roughly the same anyway?
I think it’s fair to say Fullarton’s last 2 weeks have been very poor, and it would make sense to reconsider his place in the team.
But i agree that’s harder to do considering the replacement would likely be Ballenden - he is a beautiful kick but has looked very timid on the ground, even more so than Fullarton. Not sure Ballenden has had any decent afl games but happy to be corrected…

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it’s fair to say Fullarton’s last 2 weeks have been very poor, and it would make sense to reconsider his place in the team.
But i agree that’s harder to do considering the replacement would likely be Ballenden - he is a beautiful kick but has looked very timid on the ground, even more so than Fullarton. Not sure Ballenden has had any decent afl games but happy to be corrected…
He kicked a goal against the Tigers last year, thats all I honestly remember.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d hazard the same number as you. It doesn’t mean either of us can’t assess an afl player. How did you rate his game? His blind kicking was just awful. Often had more time but threw it on his boot. Kicked it high as well which gave our forwards no chance. The last game he had a big chunk of as sub was v saints, had 3 quarters, had 4 possessions. Combined with his inability to play more than one position, he’s a baffling choice as sub.
Maybe, maybe not but I find terms like "useless" when rating a Lions player disrespecful - not words you would use face to face with Matho so why the need to be so derogatory on a keyboard?

I rather doubt Fages will mess with team structure much in a do or die final. Having said that, I think he is more likely to play Payne back and move Adams forward than vice versa. I'm a bit perplexed about Madden appearing to fall out of favour. He would be an ideal inclusion against some of the speedy Dogs forwards and God knows we could do with some added pace in the team, especially if Birchall plays and Ah Chee doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I actually think Fagan's biggest fault is his team selection. He picked Robertson in the 2019 final, who was nowhere near good enough to be playing. In 2020, he picked CEY, which ruined the balance of our midfield and allowed Geelong to dominate us and in 2021, he's insisting on Fullarton and Andrews, one player is injured and shouldn't be playing and Fullarton simply isn't ready. 3 years in a row Fagan has made questionable choices that has led to our finals dismissals. I don't envy the position that he is in, and I know he's advised by his other coaches, but even back then I'm sure a lot of knew those were the wrong calls. It was also astonishing to watch Birchall remain in the team, even though the football landscape kept criticizing his mistakes and lack of speed, yet not once was he omitted. I'll always back Fagan and even if I disagree with his team choices. I can only hope that this isn't like the last two years and players such as Fullarton (who I believe shouldn't be playing) end up being the reason why we do well.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It depends what is counted as a contested mark, I definitely remember more than one occasion where he has taken a mark down the line under pressure from opposition.
Well whatever the AFL count as a contested mark, which I imagine would be a mark under pressure from the opposition, there has been 1.

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe, maybe not but I find terms like "useless" when rating a Lions player disrespecful - not words you would use face to face with Matho so why the need to be so derogatory on a keyboard?
I don’t like over the top posts about players either. I do think this of all places is one where you can be forthright about players because we are not talking to them. Perhaps i will reconsider using ‘useless’ in rhe future but i don’t think it’s at the high end of derogatory on a footy forum.

My goodness. Just listened to the zorko interview on Roar Deal. Wow. Zorko was devastated. Not angry, just destroyed.

Put the performance down to the two hours before the game, where everyone was too serious. He'll need to lighten up by Saturday - if he can. Was not a happy boy.

Interesting point - he said he'll talk to the energizers -Charlie and Mitch- to get their read on last week. And work out what's needed to make sure everyone is up and about this week.

Really spells out the importance of having positive people who can create a mood on the team. Team being the important word there. IMO it's not a learnable skill, more a personality trait, and it's not all that common a trait either.

Pretty sure that's why Mathison got his contract. His ability in this area balances his lack of finesse on field.

Hope like hell zorko, Charlie, Mitch and beast can reset themselves and their teammates this week.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My goodness. Just listened to the zorko interview on Roar Deal. Wow. Zorko was devastated. Not angry, just destroyed.

Put the performance down to the two hours before the game, where everyone was too serious. He'll need to lighten up by Saturday - if he can. Was not a happy boy.

Interesting point - he said he'll talk to the energizers -Charlie and Mitch- to get their read on last week. And work out what's needed to make sure everyone is up and about this week.

Really spells out the importance of having positive people who can create a mood on the team. Team being the important word there. IMO it's not a learnable skill, more a personality trait, and it's not all that common a trait either.

Pretty sure that's why Mathison got his contract. His ability in this area balances his lack of finesse on field.

Hope like hell zorko, Charlie, Mitch and beast can reset themselves and their teammates this week.

I think Rayner is good in this area as well,always upbeat and positive

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
In 2020, he picked CEY, which ruined the balance of our midfield and allowed Geelong to dominate us and in 2021

How did that ruin the balance of the midfield? He was picked to add a big body into the midfield to counter Geelong's big bodies in the contest, he was recruited for that purpose, sure he didn't come up with the goods but the whole team didn't.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How did that ruin the balance of the midfield? He was picked to add a big body into the midfield to counter Geelong's big bodies in the contest, he was recruited for that purpose, sure he didn't come up with the goods but the whole team didn't.

He was actually one of our better midfielders in the second half.

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool

Interestingly, I noticed Melbourne players before the game smiling and joking around and we looked pretty stonefaced. Best read will be to see how we are before the game tomorrow

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
New case in a 4 year old, close contact of the truckie apparently.

Attended a kindy in Logan this week. Guess it’s to late to move the game, but could go ahead without a crowd yet.

Please just don’t bring any restrictions in till Sunday!

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well we are taller, heavier, older & have more average game experience than the Dogs
However it was the same last week v Demons.
Lets hope the result is different

Average Attributes
Brisbane
Attribute
Western Bulldogs
188.2cm​
Height​
187.6cm​
88.4kg​
Weight​
85.5kg​
26yr 3mth​
Age​
25yr 6mth​
114.6​
Games​
96.5​
Total Players By Games
Brisbane
Games
Western Bulldogs
6​
Less than 50​
5​
5​
50 to 99​
9​
4​
100 to 149​
1​
7​
150 or more​
7​

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just read on AFL.com maybe a late change at Doggies with C Daniel a tad lame. Left leg injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back