Preview Semi Final v Bulldogs @ The Gabba, Saturday 4th September 2021, 7.20pm.

Finals destiny?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Fagan's biggest fault is his team selection. He picked Robertson in the 2019 final, who was nowhere near good enough to be playing. In 2020, he picked CEY, which ruined the balance of our midfield and allowed Geelong to dominate us and in 2021, he's insisting on Fullarton and Andrews, one player is injured and shouldn't be playing and Fullarton simply isn't ready. 3 years in a row Fagan has made questionable choices that has led to our finals dismissals. I don't envy the position that he is in, and I know he's advised by his other coaches, but even back then I'm sure a lot of knew those were the wrong calls. It was also astonishing to watch Birchall remain in the team, even though the football landscape kept criticizing his mistakes and lack of speed, yet not once was he omitted. I'll always back Fagan and even if I disagree with his team choices. I can only hope that this isn't like the last two years and players such as Fullarton (who I believe shouldn't be playing) end up being the reason why we do well.
Robertson wasn’t on the list in 2019.

Just on the Fullarton selection. How many times does another poster have to mention that we don’t have a better option on the list? Or don’t you read what other posters mention.

A bit puzzled with the Payne selection. With Gardiner/Adams/Andrews you don't need Payne as well, Lester would be a better option.
And if they are planning to swing one forward, Lester is probably the best option out of all of them.

Not really sure why we're playing 10-game kids in knockout games when there's 157 game 29 year old, desperate to enjoy success after sticking by the club through so many tough years, sitting on the sidelines.
Was a little surprised that Lester was not considered to play forward as he has some experience at AFL level.

Maybe playing Payne, who has already played a Prelim: is because they believe he is best suited to the role, as Fages stated today. Also Lions might be thinking of the future, the more experience we can get into some of the young guys the better for next year and the following years. That's not to say we gift games to the young guys in a knockout semi, but I am reasonably comfortable with both Payne and Robertson being included.
Lester was playing reserves and came in round 2 (2020) to replace Adams (and did better than I thought, and earnt himself a two year contract), but although I probably am a little bias against Lester, as he mostly gets the match up against the 4th or 5th opposition forward, IMO his lack of speed probably went against him on this occasion.

Robertson wasn’t on the list in 2019.

Just on the Fullarton selection. How many times does another poster have to mention that we don’t have a better option on the list? Or don’t you read what other posters mention.
I think the post might be related to Nick Robertson, who came in for an injured player and played a lock down role on Whitfield in the 3 point loss to GWS. The following week Robertson was delisted

I think the post might be related to Nick Robertson, who came in for an injured player and played a lock down role on Whitfield in the 3 point loss to GWS. The following week Robertson was delisted
That was probably Robertson’s best game. He certainly wasn’t a liability in that game.

My goodness. Just listened to the zorko interview on Roar Deal. Wow. Zorko was devastated. Not angry, just destroyed.

Put the performance down to the two hours before the game, where everyone was too serious. He'll need to lighten up by Saturday - if he can. Was not a happy boy.

Interesting point - he said he'll talk to the energizers -Charlie and Mitch- to get their read on last week. And work out what's needed to make sure everyone is up and about this week.

Really spells out the importance of having positive people who can create a mood on the team. Team being the important word there. IMO it's not a learnable skill, more a personality trait, and it's not all that common a trait either.

Pretty sure that's why Mathison got his contract. His ability in this area balances his lack of finesse on field.

Hope like hell zorko, Charlie, Mitch and beast can reset themselves and their teammates this week.

Funny he said that, I thought we seemed a bit 'tight' last week.

Known contact who was at Daycare.

If there are cases tomorrow, Brisbane goes in to lockdown and no fans at the game.

Putting the case aside, what's you governments track record on sporting events last minute?

Vic have been a mix of both cancelling and waiting until Monday.

I just can't see there being a crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Known contact who was at Daycare.

If there are cases tomorrow, Brisbane goes in to lockdown and no fans at the game.

Not necessarily. Depends how many & who they are. Unknown or unlinked cases then yes, things are grim.

Edit: The Labor party are currently doing a popularity survey to see what course of action they should take next.

Not necessarily. Depends how many & who they are. Unknown or unlinked cases then yes, things are grim.

Edit: The Labor party are currently doing a popularity survey to see what course of action they should take next.
Known or unknown is not important.

Infectious while in the community is the only thing that matters.

Putting the case aside, what's you governments track record on sporting events last minute?

Vic have been a mix of both cancelling and waiting until Monday.

I just can't see there being a crowd.
Anna’s track record is giving 6 hours notice, then going hard.

Personally, my view is our CHO will view the game as a potential super spreader event.

I actually think Fagan's biggest fault is his team selection. He picked Robertson in the 2019 final, who was nowhere near good enough to be playing. In 2020, he picked CEY, which ruined the balance of our midfield and allowed Geelong to dominate us and in 2021, he's insisting on Fullarton and Andrews, one player is injured and shouldn't be playing and Fullarton simply isn't ready. 3 years in a row Fagan has made questionable choices that has led to our finals dismissals. I don't envy the position that he is in, and I know he's advised by his other coaches, but even back then I'm sure a lot of knew those were the wrong calls. It was also astonishing to watch Birchall remain in the team, even though the football landscape kept criticizing his mistakes and lack of speed, yet not once was he omitted. I'll always back Fagan and even if I disagree with his team choices. I can only hope that this isn't like the last two years and players such as Fullarton (who I believe shouldn't be playing) end up being the reason why we do well.

He doesn't pick the team on his own.

Having watched a lot both Ballenden and Fullarton at training, I’d rate their contested marking as on par.

Ballenden is a better, more confident uncontested mark, and a better kick.

Ballenden also has a much better feel for playing ruck, but is just as ineffective at AFL level, against AFL rucks.

He just doesn’t know how to use his muscles and size to compete. I don’t know if it’s a core strength issue or what, he just gets easily pushed off his spot or line.
The last time he played Seniors he'd improved . I also think he's gotten a little extra confidence playing back. Ultimately I think he's a slow developer who will be a big unit with more pre seasons. But obviously his list spot is in danger.

The last time he played Seniors he'd improved . I also think he's gotten a little extra confidence playing back. Ultimately I think he's a slow developer who will be a big unit with more pre seasons. But obviously his list spot is in danger.
I agree here, I think Ballenden is worth an extended run in the seniors before people write him off.
I personally think he has the potential to offer more long term, but we will never know unless he is given a chance.

Your not watching it anyways so don’t get so worked up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back