Preview Semi Final vs GWS Giants, Sat 14 Sep, 7:25PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recap (don't worry, I'll keep it brief):

Well that was a bummer of a conclusion.

After a fantastic first quarter a lack of reward for effort saw us drop off and lose the next three quarters, despite having more scoring shots overall. While some of our troubles came from a relative difficulty level (see below), it was blatantly obvious that our goalkicking woes had finally come back to bite us.

I won't mention the umpiring.

Personally I'm even more upset about the loss than most because I had already checked that these two teams would only meet in the GF if they both kept winning and had been hoping... :(

The matchup:

On to our next opponent - one week at a time. GWS smashed all over the fairytale of the Dogs, proving that glass slippers don't stand up well to ogres. After being rough and tumbled out of finals in previous years by the Dogs and Richmond, this year they turned the tables and the Dogs clearly didn't handle the pressure. A lot was made of the Dogs beating GWS a few weeks earlier but smarter commentators noted that GWS had about a third of their best 22 out in that game, and being able to drop a bunch of rookies and backup players like Caldwell, Hill, Keeffe, Simpson, Sproule and Stein funnily greatly improved matters.

We also beat GWS relatively recently, but unlike the Dogs we did it while they were a lot closer to full strength - of the above list, only Simpson was in the team, and Hately was the only rookie. Coniglio was also present, and yet we turned in a fairly comfortable 20 point win. It was close enough to keep punters nervous but they never actually got closer than three goals from just into the second quarter. Add to the venue on top of that (GWS has only lost one final in NSW, but is yet to win outside of NSW) we go in fairly comfortable favourites.

This week:

We have one big advantage - our speed. Plenty of our guys have impressive speed for their position, starting at Cameron and progressing through guys like McCluggage (deceptively) and Martin and Hipwood for their position. GWS is very one-paced outside of Whitfield and Williams and our breakaways were key to the last match. Daniels has been playing more off a wing with Williams moving back, so it's not like this has changed significantly.

GWS has a lot more bigger bodies and attempts to dominate over the ball will be on a hiding to nothing and play into their hands. While Mumford had one of his best games last week, harking back to Crackers Keating with his punches of the ball forward while English attempted careful taps I think that will play to our advantage with our better structured midfield - GWS has had to chop and change their mids all year due to injury, so no combination has been able to form the gelling we see with Neale, Zorko, Lyons and McCluggage. This doubly hurts them with their single best all round mid (Coniglio) out for at least another game. de Boer will undoubtedly shut down someone but we've already shown we can lose a Neale or a Zorko and continue on our merry way with Lyons tending to stand up as "next man up".

GWS's defenders play similar to Richmond, with two great intercept marks, but with less speed and spread. If we've learned anything from last week it has to be avoid the bomb in without thinking about what's ahead. McStay and McInerney are going to be key in marking sure Haynes and Davis always face a contest, otherwise the ball will be coming straight back out. Once the ball comes out, however, both teams play quite similar up the boundaries so it will be interesting to see who thinks they have the advantage there and keep it up.

Our defenders should line up well on GWS's forwards, three talls for three talls and Answerth for Greene, with Hodge residing that kick behind the ball that he can do so well.

Unfortunately we've lost Robbo for the game but we have a like-for-like replacement in the team already in Berry, so I'm expecting to see him move up into the middle with someone like Cox coming into the forward line.

The result:

Overall it's hard to look past GWS's terrible finals record outside of NSW and our history at the Gabba. Layer on top of that the matchup earlier in the year and I'll tip a close fought victory to the Lions, who go on to beat the Pies the following week.

Greene being allowed to play is a joke tbh.
Really disappointing after they were happy to dish out strong prosecution on Harris and just roll over and not even ask for a suspension on Greene.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I really do wonder how much influence the AFL wields on the field and off it in its various jurisdictions.

The haste with which Christian sent it off has a real smell about it in the light of Greene's guilty plea.

Plus the usual suspect AFL stooges doing the leg work on radio today.

Too many conincidences. Everyone rolling over for Greene ,Greene plays ball.

I believe in conspiracies and everything being done to get greene over the line no matter what.

Disgusting that he has tribunal form which matters for zip.

Is the afl corrupt? Some might think so after this.

I seriously question the admin of the game we love

Greene being allowed to play is a joke tbh.
I just don't get it...Harris Andrews cops a week for the most innocuous "teeth chattering" bump in the history of the AFL and Greene does a cowardly street brawl, hair pulling attack on the Bont and cops a fking fine...give me a break - the AFL judiciary is well and truly up shite creek.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greene pleads guilty, it’s deemed serious enough to fine him $7500, but doesn’t warrant 1 week? Well played AFL!

Guys, c'mon we are all sounding too desperate now. Toby Greene or not I back our gameplan, just need more goal kickers to stand up to help Charlie, obviously, we are not quite at an elite level just yet but GWS hasn't exactly set the world on fire before last weekend so why all this negativity?

Last edited:
I believe in conspiracies and everything being done to get greene over the line no matter what.

Disgusting that he has tribunal form which matters for zip.

Is the afl corrupt? Some might think so after this.

I seriously question the admin of the game we love
Wait until they name Nicholls, Foot and Fisher as the umps for the game too

So 17 Tribunal appearances and a guilty plea for serious misconduct and only a fine?? Despite him pleading guilty?

Well done AFL management for lessening my faith in the game and you. Nobody thinks you are impartial in this.

It's a disgrace how they have wrecked the integrity of our game where I dont even believe they are impartial and neither do most supporters

They'll be so focused on Neale & Cameron that by the time they look up, we'll be 6 goals clear.

Think we win this comfortably, like the old finals at the GABBA during the golden days.

They'll be so focused on Neale & Cameron that by the time they look up, we'll be 6 goals clear.

Think we win this comfortably, like the old finals at the GABBA during the golden days.
Yeah I'm seeing a repeat of the 2nd Port game. GWS so focused on Neale they forget about everyone else

The AFL suggested a fine,🙄 I hate the way they run this game. The fact that who you are and who you play for effects tribunal and umpiring decisions goes against everything sport should be.

I suspect they felt they couldn't suspend someone for being a dick after letting NN off for smashing a guy into a fence.

I suspect they felt they couldn't suspend someone for being a dick after letting NN off for smashing a guy into a fence.
Could not agree more, since when did the action before the reaction have any bearing on punishment. I love the game but it’s a sick joke sometimes.

Giants are a better team now than when we beat them. We are too. Last time we held off and came back from everything they threw at us. I think we can beat them. We cant kick that bad again. Our best last week was very good, just gotta do it longer.

No big changes, Robbo out. Id bring in Matheson. McCarthy can move to a wing, Bailey plays more fwd and we use matho's bigger body to break up de boars tagging. Get in his road, block n sheppard him, shift his focus. More than likely be Keays or Cox come in. Ok with that too. Both lads deserve the experience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back