Preview Semi Final vs GWS Giants, Sat 14 Sep, 7:25PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRobbo played wing in the NEALF last week. Looked to hold his position well which appears to be critical to our game plan. Known to have a big tank and gets possessions in the contest. Grunt for grunt. As close to a like for like as we had on the list. Hopefully rather than confident he will have a big game, but will give it all he has.

I'd say Nick has been picked for his hard running and ability to keep running, which might suggest we're concerned about their run and spread. Doesn't quite have the precise disposal and form of Bastinac, but he has been playing the wing role and has been used forward in the ressies as well. I don't think he will go back, but he does offer versatility.

Pretty sure NRobbo did a job on Himmelburg when we played them at some stage...
Wasn't this year. Not sure if it carries on given Himmelberg's development.

Will get carved up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If it were a head to head ball winning battle then yes, but not in a tagging role. Robbo has the tank and the aggression.

If it were a head to head ball winning battle then yes, but not in a tagging role. Robbo has the tank and the aggression.

Mitch doesn’t play a tagging role. That’s the thing, he’s an attacking player who moves it forward quickly. Nick doesn’t do that. He slows things up and if he’s been bought in to play a tagging role then we are moving away from our method. The method that has been successful.

To bring a little realism Robbo on Whitfield would be a massive mismatch . In fact nearly anyone on Whitfield is a hard ask.

I see Robbo rotating off the bench when our runners get gassed to provide pressure , tackling and bring the honest effort he generally does.

I doubt we're going to be tagging in this game unlike them . Those in our M/F who don't get tagged need to make the most of it.

Mitch doesn’t play a tagging role. That’s the thing, he’s an attacking player who moves it forward quickly. Nick doesn’t do that. He slows things up and if he’s been bought in to play a tagging role then we are moving away from our method. The method that has been successful.

We lacked a tagger against Richmond and they showed us up twice. I think it's time to change it up and see what happens. I am very bullish about having someone who has the size and tank to play negating role. If we progress beyond current round we'll need it more than ever.

Not sure who you have been watching, but he is very physical at the contest and rarely gets beaten, yes his disposal could be better, but its been a while since I have seen him and he has kicked a couple of bags in the NEAFL

I disagree. I think the notion that he brings some large scale level of toughness in the contest is a bit of a fairy tale. Don't often see him going back with the flight, laying mitch robbo style tackles or laying huge bumps. That's no knock on him, not many players do, he is ok one on one when it's at ground level and he gets in a tussle though.

I'm happy for him and keen to see how he goes, just won't be going into it thinking mitches toughness is covered because he ain't that guy IMO. Good getting in oppo's faves though.

It's hard for Nick because his shortcomings stick out like dogs balls and his strengths go unheralded. Fans are going to have him under and unfair microscope. Again, genuinely hope he does well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from games I watched recently NEAFL Nick has been playing on the wing or mid and kicked a few goals. Think he kicked 4-5 in one game
Interesting when you see players used differently then in the seniors.

We lacked a tagger against Richmond and they showed us up twice. I think it's time to change it up and see what happens. I am very bullish about having someone who has the size and tank to play negating role. If we progress beyond current round we'll need it more than ever.
I think we've lacked that sort of player for a few years mainly because you only get around to giving someone a permanent tagging role once you've exhausted options that they might be a decent player offensively either from defence or attack. You need a good team to have a tagger or two . We've reached that stage I guess. The best taggers are usually guys with a fair bit of skill themselves.

There's no one in our current lineup whom we've identified for the role of tagger . Maybe we've thrown Robbo a lifeline to see if he can step up to it . Interesting to see how we line up

Clearly Roberston is a the type of bloke who loves his teammates and the club. I will back him in every day of the week to leave everything out on the ground. I think this could very well by the chance for him to earn that best 22 spot back and make it is own. I can't wait to see him run out and play his role.

Don’t worry about Nick Robertson being under the microscope, we have massive issues in our forward line. Hipwood and McStay must hold their marks and kick straight otherwise we are cooked. We can’t rely on our small forwards to kick a winning score. Time for McStay to play like a Full Forward and kick some goals. Three goals in eight games is not enough. Hipwood was in the media before the first final talking up the need for the other forwards to help Charlie Cameron out and he then turned up and gave us next to nothing on game day. Less talk more action Hipwood.

On a positive note Cam Rayner gets his chance and I think he will take it.

Going out in straight sets, losing two straight games at the Gabba would not be acceptable.

Come on Lions. Show us what you got!

Last edited:
We are very proud and happy for Nick! Had never once dropped his head in spite of a challenging year. And now is in a final in front of a packed Gabba. Who would have thought 👍👍👍
Rapt for Nick.

Irrespective of what happens to Nick at the conclusion of this season, Nick's selection in a final no less, is real reward for effort and something I've no doubt he'll ever forget.

At least you know one thing with Nick; he'll leave it all out on the field this week, which is all you can ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back