Game Day SEMI-FINAL: West Coast Eagles vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Nightmare first quarter. Probably only Redden that turned up (and then didn't do much afterwards). Shuey and Gaff kept trying. Bad game by Sheed, just not strong enough in the contest.

Felt like we played too tall this year to accommodate a fading Kennedy. Hopefully he has a big preseason and we can squeeze one more year of quality out of him.

Losing to a team like Geelong doesn't hurt too bad in the end as it turns out, because it makes you accept we wouldn't have been up to it against the better teams to come. Need to improve next year.

Schofield, what a legend.

Masten and Schofield last games for the club?

I'm confident they can be replaced by what we already have at the club. I rate Brayshaw I think he'll come good. Also Rotham too and if we don't trade Brander he'll be useful too. Think we need to think beyond Kelly also, get a few extra mids via trades with some potential.

No Rioli/DV to give the mids a chop out. They looked cooked in the last. Sheed needs a rocket. Defensively he is appalling, get him his own personal tackling coach. That contest i50 in the last between him and Narkle showed the lack of hunger and intent. Both went down, Narkle spring to his feet and ran away with it while Sheed sat on his ass watching.

Last edited:
The running out of gas midway through the 3rd quarter became a recurring theme in the second half of the season and we again died in the ass after getting up by 7 points in the 3rd (kicked a point after that the rest of the way).

Thoughts on why? Taxing game plan? Lack of running depth?

It’s not his absence people are blaming I don’t think. Him just missing the game hurt is very different.

Completely deflating news to receive on the eve of a final. Tough to push through distractions like that sometimes.
This, we cant blame him for that last quarter after we got in front, but this feeling is doubly bad because of him...feels like we’ve gone back 15 years. Awful.

Simpson’s a great coach but they may need a ruthless nasty assistant coach. Have looked soft most year, talent has got them across the line, not many injuries. Big names like Gov Barrass Sheed have been disappointing compared last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Needs a bad cop to his good cop. I think Sam Mitchell was this to a certain extent with the mids last finals series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They needed to play better tonight, Gaff was solid but grubbered a lot of kicks, Shep made some uncharacteristic blues and Nic wasn't quite there, understandably as he is short of a run but none of them were great.

True, but we shouldn't have been playing in a knock-out final in week 2 in the first place if the team actually showed hunger during the year.

Can people stop blaming Rioli and keep the blame on the round 23 debacle? We wouldn't even be playing tonight if we didn't s**t the bed against the Hawks.

Now they can focus their energies on what they ned to do to get Kelly.

Even though we finished 5th and were top 4 for almost the whole year, it felt like a year where we didn't even get out of second gear. Hope the guys have a nice long relaxing break now, get their bodies and minds right, and hit the pre season.

Thought he had a great game tbh. He got a goal and him and darling helped each other. Unlucky about the block. But they synced well and have great synergy
Ditto. Midfield was the problem tonight.
Shuey was shot early.
Maston tried but he's not skilled enough.
Redden was immense but was carrying the engine room.
Gaff not enough.
Forward 50 entries were woeful and it sling shot back out repeatedly.
Defense was rattled too. Cats looked like getting a shot on goal at every entry (and just about did..)

Honestly felt lucky to be up at 3qtr time. So does feel like a predictable end result. Cats were better for longer.

Need to sort out our midfield next year. Kelly the simplest fix.

gutted.

showed balls to fight back considering all the Rioli stuff. Started flat which could be predicted....

Up at 3 qr time and run over. Have to wonder with NN plus then Petch late inclusion for our 2nd highest kms run...very costly

The running out of gas midway through the 3rd quarter became a recurring theme in the second half of the season and we again died in the ass after getting up by 7 points in the 3rd (kicked a point after that the rest of the way).

Thoughts on why? Taxing game plan? Lack of running depth?

Too tall, not enough midfield rotations to share the load. Simple as that.

Lot of flat boys out there. Fix was in but the boys were gassed, even if we were given a fair shake you’d think Geelong would have broken it open late.

AFL House needing to put the GMHBA Finals discussion to bed, did so with aplomb.

Schoey telling Hawkins to fu** off is my spirit animal, let’s see them wriggle their way out of a suspension for that.
Hoping for a doctor's report to say he wouldn't be able to play for a month due to concussion. We get stitched up enough by other teams it would be nice to give one back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back