Society/Culture Semi-trailers and traffic congestion/accidents.

Remove this Banner Ad

DC's do all that, but you're still using semi's to take stuff into coles and woolies (for example) and this occurs mostly during the day

with perishable esp, you want it out of your dc asap

What perishable are regularly delivered by a semi?
Fresh produce, what else?

Small goods generally come in a van or LR / MR truck. If a supermarket still has an active butcher's shop then it would likely be a MR / HR direct from the abbatoirs, more likely it's cryovacced or prepacked offsite so isn't as time critical. Fresh seafood delivered in a van, specialty cheeses in big blocks in a van.

The bulk dry goods and fresh produce delivered by semi-trailers really should be done very late afternoon / early evening.

I worked with Coles back in the 80s and again in the 90s and then again in 2018. In my 1st stint I spent about a year doing nightfill and in my 2nd stint I was actually a nightfill manager / ordering officer for almost 3 years. In my last short lived stint I was doing some shifts stocking shelves. In my last stint we would be stocking them surrounded by customers, working off unsuitable, collapsible trollies that some one in the storeroom had preloaded for you. It's probably close to, if not, the most inefficient work practice I've seen in my life.

Whatever money they think they're saving by not having anyone working after midnight, I guarantee they more than lose it through inefficiencies and the stores perpetually being half empty and looking like a bomb has hit it.

Zero brains and zero pride with no *s given.

Small goods generally come in a van or LR / MR truck. If a supermarket still has an active butcher's shop then it would likely be a MR / HR direct from the abbatoirs, more likely it's cryovacced or prepacked offsite so isn't as time critical. Fresh seafood delivered in a van, specialty cheeses in big blocks in a van.

The bulk dry goods and fresh produce delivered by semi-trailers really should be done very late afternoon / early evening.

I worked with Coles back in the 80s and again in the 90s and then again in 2018. In my 1st stint I spent about a year doing nightfill and in my 2nd stint I was actually a nightfill manager / ordering officer for almost 3 years. In my last short lived stint I was doing some shifts stocking shelves. In my last stint we would be stocking them surrounded by customers, working off unsuitable, collapsible trollies that some one in the storeroom had preloaded for you. It's probably close to, if not, the most inefficient work practice I've seen in my life.

Whatever money they think they're saving by not having anyone working after midnight, I guarantee they more than lose it through inefficiencies and the stores perpetually being half empty and looking like a bomb has hit it.

Zero brains and zero pride with no fu**s given.

Dairy was all in semis

I'm not arguing against midnight trucking, it's already happening. I'm saying doing it nighttime only, with zero in the day is not viable anymore. Everything is built on getting stock to shelf asap

Zero brains and zero pride with no fu**s given.

Most companies would likely be better served cutting a middle manager tasked with dealing with transport, paying 50% of that to the transport company to deal with it, and pocketing the other 50%.

Trains run on timetables. These can be simply adjusted.
Freight trains don't. They're allocated a path and that's about it. It does not mean they use it. They can run early or run late depending on the conditions on the railway. They're at the mercy of the train controller who put passengers trains first.

Freight trains don't. They're allocated a path and that's about it. It does not mean they use it. They can run early or run late depending on the conditions on the railway. They're at the mercy of the train controller who put passengers trains first.

They also run straight in to shunting yards for sorting or sit in spurs waiting for unloading.

Rail is not an issue.

Freight trains wouldn't run through suburbia during the night either.

Because people can move next to a nightclub and will complain about the noise.
They do. Well the bits of suburbia that are next to a railway line.
They also run straight in to shunting yards for sorting or sit in spurs waiting for unloading.

Rail is not an issue.
Rails biggest is rail gauge. Moving steel from Hastings to Port Kembla requires it to be put on a different train. Guage converting it is impractical. Having dual gauge restricts speeds to 60 for board gauge trains.

We are not like American railroads where a big train will arrive into a yard and get broken up then the local shunting loco goes and drops off and picks up to the various customers sidings

They do. Well the bits of suburbia that are next to a railway line.

Rails biggest is rail gauge. Moving steel from Hastings to Port Kembla requires it to be put on a different train. Guage converting it is impractical. Having dual gauge restricts speeds to 60 for board gauge trains.

We are not like American railroads where a big train will arrive into a yard and get broken up then the local shunting loco goes and drops off and picks up to the various customers sidings

Thanks for your dazzling knowledge about rail gauges.

What this has to do with the premise of this thread, I do not know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your dazzling knowledge about rail gauges.

What this has to do with the premise of this thread, I do not know.
If we didn't have the silly 6 1/2 inch difference in rail guages we could get more freight on rail. More on rail = less trucks.

What if we allowed city office workers to work from home more regularly after the virus? Would we even need some of expensive new roads?
Four day work weeks have been trialled with some success in quite a few companies and some overseas government agencies. The focus is normally on productivity, but it inevitably reduces over travel congestion too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back