Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
No surprise really:
Melbourne radio sports network SEN is set to be rolled out nationally after its merger with prominent media identity Craig Hutchison's private Crocmedia media and content syndication business is ratified at an extraordinary general meeting for shareholders of listed minnow Pacific Star Network on Thursday.

The merger is being driven by Rhonda Wyllie's activist investment vehicle, Viburnum Funds, which pushed for changes to the PSN board late last year and the installation of Mr Hutchison as chief executive of the combined group.

Craig Coleman, PSN's chairman and executive chairman of Viburnum, told The Australian Financial Review the merger was attractive to investors as the company had been trading at a multiple well below other listed media companies and because of the suite of sports rights it had acquired, alongside on-air talent such as ex-ABC broadcaster Gerard Whateley.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...-vote-this-week-20180310-h0xb3a#ixzz59VGhS5Ed
Follow us: | financialreview on Facebook

Not sure one station nationwide is the best way to go about it. I think it's better of that there's two SEN's. One each for the footy and league states, where there's shows that going nation when it's appropriate.

Will probably end up like "The Triple M Network" where they spend big on talent that can be simulcast across the entire network and then use local talent for the other shows.

So they would focus on NRL in QLD and NSW while being able to add AFL content as the game grows and vice versa.

Makes sense with all the rights Crocmedia have been buying up.

It is more about providing content as opposed to dedicated SEN stations accross the country. For example in Adelaide for Fiveaa they already provide two daily shows, AFL and A-League coverage.

Merger approved:
https://mediaweek.com.au/crocmedia-pacific-star-merger-green-light-2018/
The proposals all related to the merger of Pacific Star with Crocmedia, which was in effect a reverse takeover with Pacific Star acquiring Crocmedia and then engaging Crocmedia to run the business.

Pacific Star operates a number of media businesses, most prominent among them Melbourne radio station 1116 SEN.

crocmedia.png

The proposed board and senior management team includes three existing Pacific Star Network executives, chairman Craig Coleman and directors Andrew Moffat and Colm O’Brien, plus three from Crocmedia – managing director Craig Hutchison, executive director Chris Giannopoulos and general manager Jodie Simm.

The meeting was presented with an overview of the sports, entertainment and lifestyle content business, details of its footprint and details of the revenue sources.

Shareholders were told the deal placed the value of the merged business at the lower end of comparable media businesses.

Proxy voting resulted in a Yes vote recorded for every resolution with the highest No vote related to the proposals to give a performance bonus via shares to Hutchison and Giannopoulos. Even then the No vote was less than 1% of the overall.

Merger approved:
https://mediaweek.com.au/crocmedia-pacific-star-merger-green-light-2018/
The proposals all related to the merger of Pacific Star with Crocmedia, which was in effect a reverse takeover with Pacific Star acquiring Crocmedia and then engaging Crocmedia to run the business.

Pacific Star operates a number of media businesses, most prominent among them Melbourne radio station 1116 SEN.

crocmedia.png

The proposed board and senior management team includes three existing Pacific Star Network executives, chairman Craig Coleman and directors Andrew Moffat and Colm O’Brien, plus three from Crocmedia – managing director Craig Hutchison, executive director Chris Giannopoulos and general manager Jodie Simm.

The meeting was presented with an overview of the sports, entertainment and lifestyle content business, details of its footprint and details of the revenue sources.

Shareholders were told the deal placed the value of the merged business at the lower end of comparable media businesses.

Proxy voting resulted in a Yes vote recorded for every resolution with the highest No vote related to the proposals to give a performance bonus via shares to Hutchison and Giannopoulos. Even then the No vote was less than 1% of the overall.

He's come a long way from the McDonald's carpark in Hoopers Crossing!

I don't understand the point of "going national". SEN is unlistenable in Melbourne on AM radio - there's so much interference - that surely most people listening online or via digital. So they're already national.

I don't understand the point of "going national". SEN is unlistenable in Melbourne on AM radio - there's so much interference - that surely most people listening online or via digital. So they're already national.

Exactly. I listen sometimes here in Queensland while at work, but theres no way I'd listen to a local radio version full of rugby shows.

I'm having my doubts about whether its SEN going national or what was Crocmedia, ie AFL Nation, Rugby Nation & the soccer version.

Thanks to Redline for questioning, probably spot on:
It is more about providing content as opposed to dedicated SEN stations accross the country. For example in Adelaide for Fiveaa they already provide two daily shows, AFL and A-League coverage.

Then again Kane Cornes coming into Melbourne on SEN out of Adelaide in the Whateley time slot on a Fridays causes me to doubt ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Digital varies from city to city. The only city with the SEN digital signal is Melbourne.

Awesome news for me living in Adelaide

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

SEN was tried and failed in South Australia in 2005. ARN sold the 1323 frequency (then used for 5DN) to SEN, the ratings went to 0, and SEN gave the frequency back to ARN, who created Cruise 1323 from the ashes of SEN. Cruise gets ratings between 8.5 and 10 these days - while it won't compete with ABC or 5AA, it has a niche audience with it's classic hits format (and is part of ARN's secondary 'Classic Hits' network).

There's no chance in hell ARN will be giving the 1323 frequency back to SEN, and to be honest, I can't see SEN working on terrestrial radio in SA (or anywhere) - especially if people remember the 2005 disaster. I reckon it has a good chance as a digital station though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back