SEN dumps its newsroom

Remove this Banner Ad

Rourke

Watching the Numbers
Mar 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
News has been taken over by the main Macquarie Network service. SportSENtral is no more.
Terrible outcome, presumably part of cost-cutting. News about sport has to be better than just an add-on to properly serve listeners like SEN's. I hope the station as a whole won't be dragged down by this but there's every chance. Sport without news is just opinion, uninformed commentary, and the occasional live game.

Guess that's what happens when you're bottom of the ratings

News has been taken over by the main Macquarie Network service. SportSENtral is no more.
Terrible outcome, presumably part of cost-cutting. News about sport has to be better than just an add-on to properly serve listeners like SEN's. I hope the station as a whole won't be dragged down by this but there's every chance. Sport without news is just opinion, uninformed commentary, and the occasional live game.

What will this mean for their news reporters? Won't be as good when they just regurgitate the same news that's on all the other stations instead of chasing down new stories. SEN can be repetitive enough as it is without only having 2 or 3 news stories to call on for the whole day.

The station needs a shake up for mine.
They have stuck with the same stale format for years and now it is starting to show. Harford show is the worst. Ads at 3 mins to the hour leading straight into the news service just shows poor production standards. And how a shitty segment like beer O'clock survives all these years is beyond me.
If the station is struggling to rate during footy season god forbid how it will hold up in the off season.

The station needs a shake up for mine.
They have stuck with the same stale format for years and now it is starting to show. Harford show is the worst. Ads at 3 mins to the hour leading straight into the news service just shows poor production standards. And how a shitty segment like beer O'clock survives all these years is beyond me.
If the station is struggling to rate during footy season god forbid how it will hold up in the off season.
Beer Oclock during drive home? I want to hear footy talk. I don't even drink beer!

They have been in trouble for a while.

When you only hire part time producers or pick up kids in Uni for unpaid internships because you don't want to pay people full time wages to run things behind the scenes it's just a matter of time before it all starts going to s**t.

The only people who seem to know what they are doing is Joey (one of the producers) and Finey, who literally walks in 5 minutes before the show starts and just starts talking off the top of his head - No rundown, no planning. Just 100% on the fly. I had some time there last year working on Finey's show on Friday nights. First night was the game when North beat the Hawks and Lake lost the plot.

He walked into the studio at about 10:45 (his show starts at 11 and the studio is empty remember, everyone is at the ground calling the game) and quietly shuffled into the booth while muttering "Good game of footy...". It is both amazing and cringe worthy to see him a day dreaming as the ad break winds down only to snap into "Welcome back... off the SMS..."

Macquarie news is s**t in Sydney.

Moved back here before the AW newsroom was taken over by them. What's its news like now?

I know the top talkback announces can do it but to many of the announcers just repeat their views. I think with something like SEN every few years they should get some people on. Obviously not all in one hit but the same group have been doing it for too long. The lineup needs to be kept fresh.

Also I think The Breakfast show needs a big shake up. They have lost their way a bit.

Its a small thing but I also think they need to have a schedule for afl and weekends. I never know what programs they have on or what games they are going to cover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that's why their app stopped being supported a while ago. As others have said breakfast needs a shake up, Gaze has to go, he doesn't offer anything. Actually get rid of all three.

Get rid of Mark Allen aswell, he doesn't offer anything, Leach (spelling?) wasn't a fence sitter and offered something even though I found him annoying at times.

I used to listen all the time between 2007 and about 2013. The earlier years I was basically listening during every waking hour in my day, every day of the week for years. The last few years until 2013 I dwindled and fell out of love with the station. Since 2014 I've barely listened. The best I can muster (aside from footy commentary, in which I still prefer ABC over all others) is when they replay coaches pressers during the graveyard shift as I'm going to bed.

Everything is so dry and stale. They recycle all the same news stories and conversation points for days on end. All the presenters are fence-sitting pansies who are afraid to get stuck in. It's all the same presenters mixed with a few no-names. AND IT'S ALL AFL. STOP F*CKING TALKING ABOUT AFL ALL THE F*CKING TIME.

Tonight we literally have a Wimbledon men's final, a Tour de France, a MotoGP race, a potential window for an Ashes review etc. and I've just flicked on and all they're doing is talking about footy after what's been probably the worst round of AFL this year.

This is why I listen to podcasts now. Experts and dedicated, opinionated sports journos talking about different sports, with proper analysis and talking points.

I used to listen all the time between 2007 and about 2013. The earlier years I was basically listening during every waking hour in my day, every day of the week for years. The last few years until 2013 I dwindled and fell out of love with the station. Since 2014 I've barely listened. The best I can muster (aside from footy commentary, in which I still prefer ABC over all others) is when they replay coaches pressers during the graveyard shift as I'm going to bed.

Everything is so dry and stale. They recycle all the same news stories and conversation points for days on end. All the presenters are fence-sitting pansies who are afraid to get stuck in. It's all the same presenters mixed with a few no-names. AND IT'S ALL AFL. STOP F*CKING TALKING ABOUT AFL ALL THE F*CKING TIME.

Tonight we literally have a Wimbledon men's final, a Tour de France, a MotoGP race, a potential window for an Ashes review etc. and I've just flicked on and all they're doing is talking about footy after what's been probably the worst round of AFL this year.

This is why I listen to podcasts now. Experts and dedicated, opinionated sports journos talking about different sports, with proper analysis and talking points.
It's really no different to the "talkin' sport" programme on 2sm in Sydney. 90% of it is nrl.

I guess that's why their app stopped being supported a while ago. As others have said breakfast needs a shake up, Gaze has to go, he doesn't offer anything. Actually get rid of all three.

Get rid of Mark Allen aswell, he doesn't offer anything, Leach (spelling?) wasn't a fence sitter and offered something even though I found him annoying at times.

I agree with all of this.

But the bolded. Mark Allen draws comparisons between AFL and his "sporting" experiences as a semi-professional golfer. GAGF.

His stupid little anecdotes follow relatively insightful comments from David Scwharcz or Scott Lucas. Just ruins the whole afternoon show.

I tune into SEN while at work as it's the only station I'm aware of where I can get actual AFL news from Melbourne. For those of us living in Sydney there isn't anything bar NRL.

I agree with all of this.

But the bolded. Mark Allen draws comparisons between AFL and his "sporting" experiences as a semi-professional golfer. GAGF.

His stupid little anecdotes follow relatively insightful comments from David Scwharcz or Scott Lucas. Just ruins the whole afternoon show.
The idiot pranged another Mercedes he gets for nothing aswell.

I tune into SEN while at work as it's the only station I'm aware of where I can get actual AFL news from Melbourne. For those of us living in Sydney there isn't anything bar NRL.
Plenty of podcasts around. A number of members here do them.

http://www.radiotoday.com.au/articles/nikole-gunn/7270-another-one-bites-the-dust.html

After the blood letting that followed the Fairfax-Macquarie, it was natural to think, or even hope, that perhaps we’d seen the last of the upheaval. Maybe we’d see some stability.

Not quite. Yesterday morning the SEN 1116 newsroom was called into the boardroom and told that their jobs were ‘no more’. Without any prior warning, the newsroom had been axed. Simple as that.

In its place is a news feed from 3AW. At last count that’s now three metropolitan stations with the same news service: 3AW, Magic 1278 and now SEN 1116.

- See more at: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/articl...-one-bites-the-dust.html#sthash.WHgSHMl4.dpuf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back