Radio Sport on radio: SEN, Triple M, 3AW, ABC, 6PR, 5AA, 4BC, 2UE, RSN

indevelopment

Debutant
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe I'm too cynical, but I just reckon people love to be a part of the drama these days. Not sure there's a genuine connection with two blokes they've never met.
might be a generation thing. i grew up with the radio on all the time and it carried through to my own adult life. love radio, it's a real thing.

certain presenters/combinations have far more of an impact than others of course but the ones that really cut through become, i don't know, almost family because they're just always there and they listen as much as they talk.

also vale the 8pm MSR quiz. the best radio sports quiz since Beva's 10pm all sports super quiz way back when on SEN.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I personally think that on SEN Ox was great and Marko was ok but as a combination they weren’t strong enough to carry the drive shift.
Most commercial stations put most emphasis on drive and breakfast and I think SEN misses the mark with the arvo slot. Dr Turf is a prime case in point.
I think Ox and Marko would’ve excelled in a quieter slot with less pressure like after lunch for instance.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
OMG it's over. Bye Julian, bye Christian!

anne hathaway.gif

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I personally think that on SEN Ox was great and Marko was ok but as a combination they weren’t strong enough to carry the drive shift.
Most commercial stations put most emphasis on drive and breakfast and I think SEN misses the mark with the arvo slot. Dr Turf is a prime case in point.
I think Ox and Marko would’ve excelled in a quieter slot with less pressure like after lunch for instance.

so the problem was not enough listeners?

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The ABC not covering the Olympics in Tokyo is the end of an era. I am not sure if they are just not sending anyone and taking an intermational feed or not covering it at all.

I get the ABC have to cut costs but there are some traditions that are good to keep and I would of thought Tokyo would of been an easy one to cover.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
The ABC not covering the Olympics in Tokyo is the end of an era. I am not sure if they are just not sending anyone and taking an intermational feed or not covering it at all.

I get the ABC have to cut costs but there are some traditions that are good to keep and I would of thought Tokyo would of been an easy one to cover.

Agreed, especially when Tokyo are on basically the same time zone.

People in cars on their way to and from work would be keen on listening.
They also have multiple digital stations now.

International Overseas Cricket matches featuring Australia need to stay on the ABC too.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It is hard to know, Hutchy might roll out some kind of 24 hour rolling coverage but as far as radio goes the ABC is the only broadcaster that covers live events.

I understand it is about cutting costs and this has probably been done to get some publicity but I think there are other events that should before the Olympics. We have some cricket and AFL games with 3 radio networks and two TV networks. Even the a-league which I follow probably doesn't need the ABC.

Footy1982

Rookie
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Think there's a fair bit more fat that could be cut or efficiencies implemented, maybe less tv channels or radio channels. Abc priorities are all wrong. So much money so much s##t shows and content.Too left leaning. No impartiality. Too much women's sport. Doesnt even cover Sheffield shield anymore but covers womens bbl. Should cover every test overseas and every afl game. Could easily afford Olympics with more than a billion in funding per year. Just another political stunt from abc management.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
It is hard to know, Hutchy might roll out some kind of 24 hour rolling coverage but as far as radio goes the ABC is the only broadcaster that covers live events.

I understand it is about cutting costs and this has probably been done to get some publicity but I think there are other events that should before the Olympics. We have some cricket and AFL games with 3 radio networks and two TV networks. Even the a-league which I follow probably doesn't need the ABC.
This is very true, afl and NRL could totally go, leave it to the commercial broadcasters particularly with Hutchys afl nation.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Back