Senator Bill Heffernan

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Bill Heffernan has come out in Parliament and Said Justice Kirby used his Commonwealth car to pick up prostitutes

Again he has used Parliamentary Privilege to attack a High Court Justice who cannot defend himself

Funnily enough - Kirby is gay.

This is a disgrace.

Heff reckons this means he is not fit to sit on cases of child abuse

I don't follow the logic of this.

Why is a gay man (who uses prostituts or not) not fit to hear child sex abuse cases?

This is a man who has shown to have a great legal brain and the upmost integrity

He denies the claims made

Heff did this to an ATSIC leader last year - where he used Parliament to accuse him of sexual abuse

Too me this is an outrageous abuse of Parliamentary Privilege

If any of these claims are true they should be persued throught th appropariate authorities and not used for Political mileage.

Thoughts?

Yes, this issue gives cause for thought. The naming in parliament privelige has been abused for years so is not a new issue but the judge issue warrants some thought.

It seems to be a moral issue which is personal and therefore evocative. It can be argued that homosexuality is a deviation from normal sexual relations and that a person who deviates in that area should be excluded from sitting in judgement on such issues.

On the other hand, ostensibly the judge is only there to interpret the laws of the country correctly and thus would have to have some misdirection proven to warrant any exclusion.

What better way to take the heat off this shameless and cynical government than get its resident village idiot to stand up in parliament and launch another of his infamous tirades (under privilege) against defenceless fellow citizens.

If there was one single skerrick of evidence to support Heffernan's accusations, this material would be in the hands of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

But no - Heffernan, ever the ignorant bigotted coward that he is again comes to the rescue of a beleagured Prime Minister.

Little Johnny and Big Bad Bill - take a bow, another masterly display in cynicism, opportunism, expediency and (in Heffs case anyway) sheer malice.

cheers

Process:

IMO parliamentary privilege should only be used as a last resort after all other proper avenues have been exhausted.

In this case, from what I've heard so far, the member hasn't even taken the first step of encouraging his source to report the evidence to the appropriate authorities.

Therefore this is an abuse of parliamentary privilege.

Content:

I have no idea whether there is any truth in the accusations that I heard on the news this morning.

If my child had been abused and the abuser was being tried in front of a judge who used under age male prostitutes, I would definitely have strong misgivings about it.

On the other hand, it may be that such a judge can put aside all personal issues and deal with the legal issues objectively - my head says this is possible. Should female judges hear male on female rape cases? Should male judges hear male on female rape cases? The answer to both questions must be "yes".

Should a judge who has abused his taxpayer-funded privileges hear fraud cases? Probably happens sometimes. Does it matter? Probably not.

So heart says the content is a problem, head says not. Tough one, given the issues involved.

As I understand it, the Senate has passed a motion demanding that Bill Heffernan publicly apologize to Justice Kirby. Can't wait to see Heffernan eat humble pie.

Originally posted by Rusty Brookes
As I understand it, the Senate has passed a motion demanding that Bill Heffernan publicly apologize to Justice Kirby. Can't wait to see Heffernan eat humble pie.

Don't hold your breath Rusty, I feel some of the Libs have trouble even admitting they have done wrong, let alone apologise.:eek:

Interesting turn, that. Anyone know what happens if he says 'no' to apologising? And what form should the aplogy take? I mean can he just stand up and say 'In line with the houses vote, I apologise'? It wouldn't be a very meaningful thing in that case.

Originally posted by Theoden
Interesting turn, that. Anyone know what happens if he says 'no' to apologising? And what form should the aplogy take? I mean can he just stand up and say 'In line with the houses vote, I apologise'? It wouldn't be a very meaningful thing in that case.

If he refuses to apologise I would think that he would front the priveliges comitee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back