Hot Topic Send Off Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

As soon as you read the title you went to your immediate thoughts around why not. I agree. Another rule, it can't work because, umpires make mistakes etc. So I'm not advocating for a send off rule, just interested in people's thoughts. They probably should be as strong as the emotions you feel when looking at the likes of Brayshaw, Simpkin, Jesaulenko etc lying pole-axed on the ground. It's distressing, it's not necessary and it's preventable. But it keeps happening. Other than rubbing a player out for a season, what are some ideas from you lot?

Did I ask what's best for footy in general? Did I?

Just thought I’d get it out of the way at the beginning of the thread because you just know a whole bunch of Carlton and opposition supporters would have come flooding in here to make the same post.

A card system is in place in local footy and it's reasonably successful. (Red: you're done for the game, Yellow: you're off for 15 minutes)
If introduced to the AFL, I'd want the process handled similarly to the NRL review system where an assessment can be conducted with the benefit of replays to minimise the chances of making the wrong call.
Hits like those dished out by Webster, Pickett etc should also carry significant penalties.
As part of the broader discussion around concussion, I'd like it if players weren't incentivised to create contact to the head to "win" a free kick.

• Banned
A card system is in place in local footy and it's reasonably successful. (Red: you're done for the game, Yellow: you're off for 15 minutes)
If introduced to the AFL, I'd want the process handled similarly to the NRL review system where an assessment can be conducted with the benefit of replays to minimise the chances of making the wrong call.
Hits like those dished out by Webster, Pickett etc should also carry significant penalties.
As part of the broader discussion around concussion, I'd like it if players weren't incentivised to create contact to the head to "win" a free kick.plus, it'
slow the game down too much a la the goal check fiasco we have? plus it's still a judgement call........but yeah, maybe..........

slow the game down too much a la the goal check fiasco we have? plus it's still a judgement call........but yeah, maybe..........
It's not really slowing the game if someone is getting carted off the ground..
For more minor incidents, review any clashes as the game continues & hand out the appropriate penalty at the next break in play.
No system is without flaws & I'm on the fence as to whether it's required but I suspect a change of sorts will be implemented, whether we like it or not.

What are your thoughts, Thy?

I don't mind it - but should be the off-field umpire that makes the call after viewing video.

Example of how this could work. Webster irons out Simpkin. Concussion protocol means Simpkin removed from play. Video ump immediately views footage and determines that Webster should be reported for the action, and as a result is also removed from play (*). He should remain off field for the duration that Simpkin is off-field. i.e. if docs determine that Simpkin is ok to return after 20 minutes, then Webster can return at same time, otherwise, he is off for the remainder of the match (like Simpkin).

One of the issues with the tribunal system is that it is the teams that play an offender's team in the coming weeks that benefit, not the team that was impacted on the day. A send-off rule would alleviate that.

(*) This doesn't mean that play needs to be held up for the video ump. Play continues, and if the ump determines Webster should be reported, the interchange steward is immediately informed and a runner, or maybe the spare ump is sent out to 'red card' Webster. It's likely only a minute or so delay, but better play continues than the game is held up.

We can't trust the MRP, or even the tribunal with hours of deliberation to get it right every time (hence the appeals).
How can we trust the anyone to get it right, instantly?

There are very very few instances in the AFL worthy of a send off (Barry Hall, Gaff). It's not worth the risk of somebody being sent off when they shouldn't be to cover for something that might happen once a decade.

It's not really slowing the game if someone is getting carted off the ground..
For more minor incidents, review any clashes as the game continues & hand out the appropriate penalty at the next break in play.
No system is without flaws & I'm on the fence as to whether it's required but I suspect a change of sorts will be implemented, whether we like it or not.

What are your thoughts, Thy?
on reading passmark's input, I'm at least leaning towards trialing it at lower levels like they used to do with new rule innovations.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't trust the MRP, or even the tribunal with hours of deliberation to get it right every time (hence the appeals).
How can we trust the anyone to get it right, instantly?

There are very very few instances in the AFL worthy of a send off (Barry Hall, Gaff). It's not worth the risk of somebody being sent off when they shouldn't be to cover for something that might happen once a decade.
it's certainly rare

I don’t mind the send off rule, umps make mistakes though, maybe they could call it and then reviewed like a goal review…..then sayonara

I agree I would like all send offs to be reviewed by another set of eyes.

All reportable offences should see a player sent off.

Not sure if I would extend that to infringements/illegal acts resulting in the injury of an opposition player. It’s a very fine line.

Send offs should definitely be included.

Reports get either the yellow (quarter) or red (game)

At the break umpire can consult with the third umpire/footage and decide if it's the whole game.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harsher penalties, including salary fines

Send off rule could work, but get it wrong and your team could plays a whole game with 1 less on the field

Or maybe a 4 goal penalty that could be adjudicated after the game
Wouldn’t that be something to see.

Imagine Dimma or Clarko having their teams play their usual brand of unsociable football to scrape in by a kick or two, only to have the score adjusted after the match and they lose.

It would be a circus but fun to watch.

Harsher penalties, including salary fines

Send off rule could work, but get it wrong and your team could plays a whole game with 1 less on the field

Or maybe a 4 goal penalty that could be adjudicated after the game
As soon as you read the title you went to your immediate thoughts around why not. I agree. Another rule, it can't work because, umpires make mistakes etc. So I'm not advocating for a send off rule, just interested in people's thoughts. They probably should be as strong as the emotions you feel when looking at the likes of Brayshaw, Simpkin, Jesaulenko etc lying pole-axed on the ground. It's distressing, it's not necessary and it's preventable. But it keeps happening. Other than rubbing a player out for a season, what are some ideas from you lot?
Send them off for as long as the clobbered player is off. If the bloke who got hit is off for two quarters, then so too, is the hitman. If the bloke with the raging headache is off for the remainder of the game, so too, is our corresponding thug.

Also, if the guy who copped the heavy knock is out, for say, three rounds, so too, should the heavy shouldered nutter - BEFORE he starts his allocated tribunal sentence.

It would look like this: Lets say, Jai Newcome cleans up Matt Cottrell early in the second quarter. Newcome is sent off 'til Cottrell comes back on - if he comes back on at all.
Later, after the strict post-game medical assessment it is deemed Cottrell needs three weeks off to fully recover, well, Newcome now has to sit the game out for those three rounds thus inconveniencing his side in the same manner as our side has been inconvenienced... AND THEN once Cottrell is cleared to play Newcome will start to serve his tribunal penalty, of say, six weeks.

There that'll sort 'em out.

I like the idea of the aggressor's club being penalized - of course it could be manipulated for a big game if the bloke who was belted suggests he needs more time than he really does to recuperate, thus keeping the hitter out for longer........

Only to be applied when the indesgretion is obvious and clear for the umps - maybe with aid of video ( I don’t mind a bit of a pause in play if videos are used during general play.

Penalties…

Hit the player and the team by sending off said player immediately so the team plays remainder of match a man down (edit ie 17 on field)

Then tribunal and weeks off and somehow they should lose salary.

As a gentleman of life, I couldn't for a minute imagine milking the system - but I'm sure the powers that be would work it out...

...maybe🤣
first thing a coaching panel does when we cop a new rule is start working out a way around it..........

Wouldn’t mind seeing an arc type set up to adjudicate serious incidents for send off consideration.

Incidents as blatant as Jimmy Webster’s and say Barry Hall’s hit on Brent Staker are no brainers and could be quickly adjudicated.

Things such as Brayshaw/Maynard which are not as clear cut can be left alone until after the game has been completed and dealt with then by sending to tribunal if necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back