Coach Senior Coach Ben Rutten

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers32

Debutant
Sep 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
No doubt with a young side there will be some carnage this season but good signs on Saturday.
Coming off a big loss and dispirited performance where we lose three important players could have been very problematic. Ruts/Gia/Cara playing the long game. Double down by bringing in Perkins and Waterman and asking Zaha to play twos again.
We’ll make some mistakes and they’ll rightly get criticised but to get a young group up and going in that manner, after that loss, was a great team coaching performance.
I think we have a panel that are confident enough in their collective ability to stick to plan no matter the weekly result and media scrutiny.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
I could not have been more impressed by pretty much everything from Truck since he's taken over.

Clarity in message and plan to players. We've had a sample size of 6 games and have seen a clear style for over 70% of the time. Lapses in such a young side for a new style is expected.

We look extremely well drilled and the players seem to know exactly what they're meant to do (even if they're still learning to apply it on the fly in random game situations).

Roles are well defined, with Stewart (limited judgement from a couple of preseason matches), Laverde and Heppell (this was more obvious) making sense down back and looking good. The wing roles of Cox/Langford/Ham providing running and height. The forward line is looking functional with Hooker the anchor. Stoppages are looking good and centre clearances, while a work in progress especially defensively is still looking better than it has since Jobe.

Standards are clearly set and selection policies seem to be well defined in terms of both form and injury.

A long way to go yet but holy sh*t I'm impressed early days.

I defended Woosha but I am now very happy he's gone.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Rapidly warming to the Truck / Cara combination. I felt more engaged and onboard with the 4 quarter team effort last night than since about 2019.

Kids like Cox and Perkins were the icing on the cake of watching a team committed to doing the hard defensive work required to compete against all comers at this level

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Rapidly warming to the Truck / Cara combination. I felt more engaged and onboard with the 4 quarter team effort last night than since about 2019.

Kids like Cox and Perkins were the icing on the cake of watching a team committed to doing the hard defensive work required to compete against all comers at this level
I was half expecting a response from you about how he was hired. While I don't necessarily disagree with you on that I'm so over reading about it and am happy to see you are feeling positive about Truck (despite how he was hired).

rumply

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, 76ers.
How's it aging now, toss? You won't win many games not playing a ruckman
We lost by less than a goal Sherlock, against the current competition benchmark.

Bryan probably isn't ready to go for whatever reason but you want to rush him in, in a development year. Yeah that's never not worked out well.

Nuggs Bunny

Premium Platinum
Oct 12, 2015
de_dust2
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
We lost by less than a goal Sherlock, against the current competition benchmark.

Bryan probably isn't ready to go for whatever reason but you want to rush him in, in a development year. Yeah that's never not worked out well.
Let's also not forget that Bryan is a rookie ruck that hasn't debuted yet, very little reason to think he would have performed better than Wright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
So we've allowed Hawthorn and now Sydney to whittle our lead back. Go to work, Truck.
i'm not that concerned about that yet.
These are good lessons not to rest on our laurels.

Took us some time in the hawks game to wrestle momentum back. Less in the Swans game.
Didn't let up v the Saints much though that could have been a 100pt win. Think we got it out to 86 at one point.

Remove this Banner Ad