Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Again - this has zero to do with my posts in this discussion. I guess if you can't respond then do this instead?

I agree with some of what you said, but disagree in some respects. I've seen people promoted in large organisations to high level positions that were inexperienced (at that higher level), but what you say about companies normally doing due diligence is also correct, just not all the time. I think it depends on the circumstances and whether a company is willing to take a punt sometimes on a less experienced person for a position.

How that relates to AFL clubs I'm not sure, I've never been involved with an AFL club. However you could draw a parallel with Rutten being promoted to a company taking a punt on an inexperienced person who they held in high regard and they believe was ready to step up.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree with some of what you said, but disagree in some respects. I've seen people promoted in large organisations to high level positions that were inexperienced (at that higher level), but what you say about companies normally doing due diligence is also correct, just not all the time. I think it depends on the circumstances and whether a company is willing to take a punt sometimes on a less experienced person for a position.

How that relates to AFL clubs I'm not sure, I've never been involved with an AFL club. However you could draw a parallel with Rutten being promoted to a company taking a punt on an inexperienced person who they held in high regard and they believe was ready to step up.
Absolutely and i don't disagree that it happens and in many cases the promotions will be warranted and justified with success (something we are all hoping for here). My point is more that it is concerning as a repeated process at Essendon and this same lack of process has occured with other senior postions like the CEO.

Wins like today are a great result for Rutten and his appointment there's no doubt about it. There will be some dark times ahead no doubt but this is exactly what we all wanted and needed to see from him and the boys today. FWIW i am on the record in the leadup thread before the game saying the changes were good/exciting and i felt this game would set the scene for the rest of our season. Here's hoping it does!

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning

Sport and company’s are always so tempting to compare due to the dollars involved and the corporate structures that compare.

However a sports club is nothing like any successful business.

You can be like the Bombers who have won zilch for nearly two decades but financially they are a powerhouse. But here we are bashing anyone and everyone.

And you can be like the Saints who have won zilch over the last 6 decades and are financially deep in the mire, but since they have had a few winning seasons all is good.

Crazy

Absolutely and i don't disagree that it happens and in many cases the promotions will be warranted and justified with success (something we are all hoping for here). My point is more that it is concerning as a repeated process at Essendon and this same lack of process has occured with other senior postions like the CEO.

Wins like today are a great result for Rutten and his appointment there's no doubt about it. There will be some dark times ahead no doubt but this is exactly what we all wanted and needed to see from him and the boys today. FWIW i am on the record in the leadup thread before the game saying the changes were good/exciting and i felt this game would set the scene for the rest of our season. Here's hoping it does!

I don't know the details with hiring in other positions at the club such as CEO, but as I said I do agree with some of what you said and that's a reasonable point regarding the CEO. Considering how we've gone the last decade and a half I'd say personally we'd need good strong person at the top who is experienced.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I seen some footage of him sitting in the box doing nothing. So much better than when he was sitting on the bench doing nothing.

Avoided our worst start to a season ever :heavycheck:
Personally, Rutten strikes me as a guy that has massive testes, and is always accidentally sitting on them then trying to inconspicuously readjust without placing his hand on his crotch, thus his uncomfortable demeanour when seated.

Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Can someone with skills please gif the footage of Truck after Waterman kicked his first.

98-B27893-5-C6-F-467-D-B67-C-1-B01-BE82-A443.gif

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Love him. Not rushing injured players back in, not making reactive decision like moving Hooker back, backing in the kids to play in key roles. Man might know a thing or two about developing a side.

Bombers32

Debutant
Sep 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
No doubt with a young side there will be some carnage this season but good signs on Saturday.
Coming off a big loss and dispirited performance where we lose three important players could have been very problematic. Ruts/Gia/Cara playing the long game. Double down by bringing in Perkins and Waterman and asking Zaha to play twos again.
We’ll make some mistakes and they’ll rightly get criticised but to get a young group up and going in that manner, after that loss, was a great team coaching performance.
I think we have a panel that are confident enough in their collective ability to stick to plan no matter the weekly result and media scrutiny.

Back