Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics
Next year will be an interesting one. Woosh is typically pretty good at delegating responsibilities to his staff, so I'll be intrigued to see if that trend continues against the same coaching philosophies we've seen, or if we'll see a change in the way we play and Woosh nurturing Rutten's plans.

Very happy with this, it’s a bit of a compromise but it’s a really positive move for mine. Worsfold strikes me as being far more suited for a director of footy role anyway.

Thanks Woosh for getting us through the dark patch. Hopefully 2020 is finals deep and hope that the Truck and Blake take us further in 2021 and beyond

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Or we come out and win the first 10 then everyone will be like why change coach.

Dont believe it's a real issue where, in the letter from the head of the presedium, Worsfold is uncertain about staying in Melbourne in 2020 because his family is in Perth.

He's done and it should be easy enough to spin in the unlikely event we are 10 and 0.

Surely Rutten is doing all the coaching anyway, isnt that what assistants do?

See, what is not being said about the succession plan is that Rutten is being promoted to the top job so that Caracella and Solomon can do all the coaching.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't know why people are melting about this. Smells a lot like like Rutten will be handling the coaching duties while Worsfold does the public facing side of things. Worsfold's family being back in WA probably suggests he would be comfortable with 2020 being his last season in Melbourne.

I'd much rather see us do a planned handover than sack a coach midyear like the usual basketcase response is.

Happy with this decision; Rutten is untried but appears well respected, Caracella coming in as an experienced and highly respected assistant means we're doing our groundwork on getting good people to the club. Rutten may be a bust, but the decision to me seems one that was in the making already, with the level of public speculation being the only real reason we've come out. Now there's complete certainty about our direction forward heading in to the trade period which makes us an appealing destination for any trade targets we're after, or coaching / conditioning staff we're chasing.

Stability sells.

33nd

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-144909_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-144909_Email.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 274

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Great news. We seem to leak everything though. It was public knowledge a long time ago

I think it was Caro who first brought it up in the media several weeks ago on Footy Classified? Maybe it had been swirling before that.

Saying Essendon had sounded out a senior figure (i think it was Richardson) to assist Rutten as the new head coach.

Interesting, we are equal 13th this year for clearances with 36.3 per game

Equal with... Collingwood.

Richmond are 18th with 34.
WE NEED A MIDFIELD BULL

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
lol not really
How's it different? Effectively he was working as an assistant and he was seen as a suitable replacement as the Head coach. Albeit for a season but by many reports he was a chance at the gig after that (remember Preso night?). Questioning some of these decisions is healthy. To think the club automatically handles things well or makes great decisions has been proven false time and time again - recently.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
How's it different? Effectively he was working as an assistant and he was seen as a suitable replacement as the Head coach. Albeit for a season but by many reports he was a chance at the gig after that (remember Preso night?). Questioning some of these decisions is healthy. To think the club automatically handles things well or makes great decisions has been proven false time and time again - recently.

The Rutten move looks to have been in planning for sometime, we headhunt him from the Tiges, he assumes a gameday coach role (to some degree) this season with the move of Woosha to the bench, we recruit Caracella to assist heading forward. Not rushed, not haphazard, it looks thought out & sensible to me.

Bomber already had coached two premiership teams. Completely different as we had a coach suspended and we’re in the middle of biggest saga ever etc.

If we get 1, it will be full kudos to Brett Rutten? Pretty disappointing he didn't announce this at the press conference as priority number 1???

Missed opportunity to pump up memberships again?
It's Ben

Arctic fox

It's only a game
Mar 22, 2017
Out west
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Interesting observation, but I think most are happy about Caracella because of his experience and proven track record, rather than him being a past player.
Don't get me wrong I would prefer BC as senior coach to Rutten. Soli has 8 yrs experience as assistant and is fully accredited and i think would add heaps of knowledge about being a bull.

Back