Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange to say, movement through the midfield against the Hawks was the best I've seen under Neeld. Really impressive passing in passages through the corridor.

Looking forward to games against Dogs and Saints with some back from injury.

Also looking forward to taking my meds later.

Strange to say, movement through the midfield against the Hawks was the best I've seen under Neeld. Really impressive passing in passages through the corridor.

Looking forward to games against Dogs and Saints with some back from injury.

Also looking forward to taking my meds later.

Yeah there were some good passages, however there were still too many turnovers and basic skill errors such as fumbling.

That's what has cost us big losses against the good teams this year (bar Essendon)

Having had some time to digest the goings on of yesterday and reading some 'news' of what panned out, I think Neeld will and should be given til late in the season, say at least round 19 to prove himself. Peter Jackson has been highly critical of the structure of the football department and has flagged significant changes to it and it sounds like they will come to fruition sooner rather than later. This gives Neeld a good couple of months under a better structure to at least show some sort of improvement and development. If none is forthcoming and we are still get slaughtered (which is what I expect) then he can be sacked with little excuse and we have a month until seasons end to find another coach.

The danger with this method is that we continue to be pummeled with no respite and the fans continue to drop off, morale plummets and scrutiny and bad press on the club continues to spiral out of control. But from an early sacking, a caretaker will not see any great turnaround and "the new guy" if he were appointed early would be working with the incumbent football department and won't likely get much further either.

Neeld gave all the players a chance last season, he decided which ones he wanted gone and they went in record numbers for our club.

This is the real start of his era I'd suggest.

When he turns over a stack of players again and gives another batch a chance and they don't work out will that be the new start of his era? He started at the beginning of last season and that's the point at which performance should be assessed from. I'm not willing to steal a line from Paul Keating and say this is the 'regression we had to have'. Repeating a mantra 'give it time, we're on the right track, it will magically click' doesn't cut it quite like actual evidence of improvement. People are thrilled when we actually play competitively for a quarter or string together a couple of decent passages of play - that's where we're at right now. What are we actually doing better than before he arrived? He should be thankful he's not in the corprorate world because he'd have been given his marching orders some time ago.

He should be thankful he's not in the corprorate world because he'd have been given his marching orders some time ago.

His employees would be gone too. ie the players would be gone. And should be. There are many at fault, Neeld needs support at least until the end of season.

I find myself wondering often what the hell he actually does.

Mentor for players and coach along with strategy with Viney and fitness/science with Misso. A lot actually.

A lot, actually. Are you under 25 hff? You are very impatient, sometimes with good reason. But recently hysterically.

I'm 18, syl. I just don't see what good he's actually doing. He may be mentoring, but his results are shite.

It's somebody's fault - pick a name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, what's wrong with being under 25??!?

Sorry. It is rude. But I am just wondering. People need to be more pragmatic. Yes, at this point we are on rebuild of a rebuild, but I for one, see what is happening this time. And I understand people hate a re-rebuild.

Oh well, sorry tpm! Young *er!

I am going to stop being a condescending campaigner for the night. I didn't appreciate it years ago.

The thing for me is the spread-counter. Our ball movement has improved...somewhat. But we are so vulnerable on the counter it's ridiculous. Reminds me of what we did to sides when DB was in control - how we could run and spread and absolutely demolish a side on our day, just couldn't be stopped offensively. Our midfield defense is now those interstate sides'/Richmond's.

Sorry. It is rude. But I am just wondering. People need to be more pragmatic. Yes, at this point we are on rebuild of a rebuild, but I for one, see what is happening this time. And I understand people hate a re-rebuild.

Oh well, sorry tpm! Young goose!
If you can see any tangible improvement since the new regime came on board you're doing better than me. And I'm not talking about getting enthused about a few nice passages of play here or there or a rare quarter won. The fact is, our performances are getting worse. I don't know why we can't even manage the most fundamental minimum requirement of just being competitive but that was something this parody of a drill sargaent was supposed to bring to the team given his 'toughest team to play against' line. I don't know where Bailey would have taken us if he had a clear run at doing the job but I'm not interested in any of this revisionist BS that made us out to be some sort of basket case list wise. There was no mention of a rebuild of a rebuild when he came on board & such a strategy which was guaranteed to mean hardly any wins for a few years would have been madness considering where we'd been competitively & financially up to 2009 & I can't believe anyone in the board would be stupid enough to sanction starting from scratch considering the hole we've just dug ourselves out of.

If you can see any tangible improvement since the new regime came on board you're doing better than me. And I'm not talking about getting enthused about a few nice passages of play here or there or a rare quarter won. The fact is, our performances are getting worse. I don't know why we can't even manage the most fundamental minimum requirement of just being competitive but that was something this parody of a drill sargaent was supposed to bring to the team given his 'toughest team to play against' line. I don't know where Bailey would have taken us if he had a clear run at doing the job but I'm not interested in any of this revisionist BS that made us out to be some sort of basket case list wise. There was no mention of a rebuild of a rebuild when he came on board & such a strategy which was guaranteed to mean hardly any wins for a few years would have been madness considering where we'd been competitively & financially up to 2009 & I can't believe anyone in the board would be stupid enough to sanction starting from scratch considering the hole we've just dug ourselves out of.
so let me get this right, You're saying that when Neeld was appointed that there was no rebuild of a rebuild? That Neeld didn't say that it was going to take more than 1 or 2 yrs, and more likely 3 - 5?

so let me get this right, You're saying that when Neeld was appointed that there was no rebuild of a rebuild? That Neeld didn't say that it was going to take more than 1 or 2 yrs, and more likely 3 - 5?
I don't recall him saying the list needed a complete overhaul and that we'd take 5 years to get to where we need to be and during that time we'd be largely uncompetitive. The 5 years line is a recent one as far as I can recall, one befitting Terry Wallace. Our list did NOT need a complete overhaul. That's his doing & any claim that we did need a complete overhaul is revisionist BS

I don't recall him saying the list needed a complete overhaul and that we'd take 5 years to get to where we need to be and during that time we'd be largely uncompetitive. The 5 years line is a recent one as far as I can recall, one befitting Terry Wallace. Our list did NOT need a complete overhaul. That's his doing & any claim that we did need a complete overhaul is revisionist BS

I think it didn't, but then he realized there were some players who were refusing to play and train how he wanted (possibly through his approach) and so then needed to trim them a fair bit.

I think it didn't, but then he realized there were some players who were refusing to play and train how he wanted (possibly through his approach) and so then needed to trim them a fair bit.
I wonder how much of an effort he made to sort things out with those players. My perception from what I've seen is that its my way or the highway & he's quick to cut players lose. But a lot of great coaches & managers are a combination of tough guy & father figure - take Alex Ferguson for example. From the outside it doesn't look like he has that 2nd quality. The more buy in from existing players the lesser need to cull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back