Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt that major restructuring under one of your top 5 coaches also likely see a dip in form the way Neelds has?

Im not necessarily pro-Neeld, but i also dont think replacing coaches is always the answer.
One need not follow the other. Maybe it's the way Neeld (and other key players involved in formulating strategies for introducing change) has gone about things & perhaps a more experienced hand could have introduced change more effectively. I don't think anyone would have foreseen the constant canings we're on the receiving end of, not even Neeld himself. Change is not an easy thing to achieve in any organisation & depending on the way you go about it you can get it horribly wrong. Footy clubs are not immune to this.

One need not follow the other. Maybe it's the way Neeld has gone about things & perhaps a more experienced hand could have introduced change more effectively. I don't think anyone would have foreseen the constant canings we're on the receiving end of, not even Neeld himself. Change is not an easy thing to achieve in any organisation & depending on the way you go about it you can get it horribly wrong.
Cant disagree with that.

I'm starting to swing in favor of Chocco Williams, he would get the boys fired up, no slacking under him

And I like getting Dennis Pagan down to the club in some role, he really demands respect

One need not follow the other. Maybe it's the way Neeld (and other key players involved in formulating strategies for introducing change) has gone about things & perhaps a more experienced hand could have introduced change more effectively. I don't think anyone would have foreseen the constant canings we're on the receiving end of, not even Neeld himself. Change is not an easy thing to achieve in any organisation & depending on the way you go about it you can get it horribly wrong. Footy clubs are not immune to this.

Changing the culture was always going to involve a hell of a lot pain and if the changes are going to stick it will involve plenty more. If we want to end up with a better product long term we do need to suck it up.
This situation will apply whether Neeld is coaching or not, to be honest I'm ambivalent on that one at the moment but we need to do this properly so when success does come it has some sustainability.
Currently our problems run a hell of a lot deeper than just the coach.

I'm starting to swing in favor of Chocco Williams, he would get the boys fired up, no slacking under him

And I like getting Dennis Pagan down to the club in some role, he really demands respect

How would Choco Williams get the boys fired up? How and why would the players respect anyone else enough to fire up or not be slack?

Everyone seems to think these coaches like Choco or Eade etc will galvanize the playing group.

Can anybody give me some quantitative analysis as to why they think this is so? Heck I would settle for qualitative at this stage.

I'm not really having a go at this post or an posters in here but I see no reason why this playing group will respond well to ANY person who coaches them.

They need to get their OWN s**t together and play for themselves, each other, the jumper, and for us. They should be fine with adversity by now. It's about them now for me, Neeld can stay * it.

How would Choco Williams get the boys fired up? How and why would the players respect anyone else enough to fire up or not be slack?

Everyone seems to think these coaches like Choco or Eade etc will galvanize the playing group.

Can anybody give me some quantitative analysis as to why they think this is so? Heck I would settle for qualitative at this stage.

I'm not really having a go at this post or an posters in here but I see no reason why this playing group will respond well to ANY person who coaches them.

They need to get their OWN s**t together and play for themselves, each other, the jumper, and for us. They should be fine with adversity by now. It's about them now for me, Neeld can stay **** it.
They did alright responding with the previous guy. Laying aside any blame to coaches or players for why we are complete and utter garbage right now, when you are getting thrashed weekly for 30 odd weeks & counting that has an effect. People don't just snap out of it & get their s**t together - as they say about the stock market - it takes the stairs up & the elevator down. The same applies here unfortunately. Play well for a few minutes & hold your own, cop 2 or 3 quick goals & then heads drop. I don't think it's a conscious lack of effort that's killing us right now.

They need to get their OWN s**t together and play for themselves, each other, the jumper, and for us. They should be fine with adversity by now. It's about them now for me, Neeld can stay **** it.

Don't you think exactly the same thing was said of the Port team under Primus?

These guys would be respected by the group, it would only be theirs to lose - whereas Neeld lost his respect very early on.

It's fair to say our players did play for Bailey as well, given their response to thrashings (although it was very inconsistent).

Why would they be respected? Because they have coached other teams to varying levels of "success"?

I can't see it changing the attitude of the players. I just don't think our boys give a *. Well a large majority of them.

Why would they be respected? Because they have coached other teams to varying levels of "success"?

I can't see it changing the attitude of the players. I just don't think our boys give a ****. Well a large majority of them.

choco.jpg

What division are the Grubbers in?

I can't see it changing the attitude of the players. I just don't think our boys give a ****. Well a large majority of them.

Oh well, * them then - delist them all, they should never be picked up by another team again.

How could we recruit soooo many players with the same attitude problem? It must be a pre-requisite to join the club or something.

It's quite simple, Mark Neeld comes in - the players don't immediately respect him, because realistically he's a nobody.

It's fair to say that he didn't going about earning the players respect straight away.

Williams/Roos/Clarkson/Eade - the players know these guys, they know they're 'big names'... big name coaches get the same respect around football clubs that big name players do.

Wouldnt that major restructuring under one of your top 5 coaches also likely see a dip in form the way Neelds has?

Im not necessarily pro-Neeld, but i also dont think replacing coaches is always the answer.

A dip in form is one thing, that is what I would class last year as - especially with the troubling circumstances that Neeld had to face as a rookie coach. This year however we've fallen off the planet. I find it impossible to believe that any of those coaches would see a 70% strike rate of 60+ point floggings.

I agree that sacking the coach isn't always the answer and I'm not saying that Neeld is what is holding the team back from being premiership contenders but in this instant he is in charge or a team so inept and uncompetitive that I can't see his position is tenable. It seems he will get the bulk of this year to attempt to prove himself with a restructured football department and maybe there will be signs of the start of a turnaround but I just don't see it.

Mark Maclure on 36o the isse as the management of the club failing for 20 years and bringing in a rookie coach and asking him to fix the culture that they collectively couldnt fix for 20 years.
He has so much wrong Information, Viney has been at the club for 20 year's according to maclure... ues lets ignore him coaching at hawthorn (during a flag win) and the crows..

Probably because they have demonstrated success elsewhere, whilst no guarantees , if they've done it once then they can do it again...different proposition to a coach that has never seen success whilst at the helm at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 games in 11 over 60 points after grandstanding about a wonderful pre-season.

Cya.

I'll give you a question though.

How does this fix anything?

How does this give us a way out?

Our midfield is still going to be poor next year, and unless we get our next coaching appointment smack ******* bang on the money I can't see us improving to the extent that we (supporters) want.

SEN have reported that a meeting has been called for all players and staff.

I have a feeling that this isn't the same as last time, some home truths will be delivered.

SEN have reported that a meeting has been called for all players and staff.

I have a feeling that this isn't the same as last time, some home truths will be delivered.

Who is the person that's in the position to give these home truths?

Peter Jackson? Been here 5 minutes.

Pete Spargo? Helped put the club where it is.

Andrew Demitriou? Mark Neeld? Neil Craig? Lynden Dunn?

I mean seriously.

Who is the person that's in the position to give these home truths?

Peter Jackson? Been here 5 minutes.

Pete Spargo? Helped put the club where it is.

Andrew Demitriou? Mark Neeld? Neil Craig? Lynden Dunn?

I mean seriously.

Probably the best person to give them. We've become desensitised to losing.

I will say, that it seems very much like an AFL directive... is this part of their 'highly conditional support?'

Jackson can't understand how this club works, and I doubt he'd be telling people to pull their heads in so soon - that's basically a Mark Neeld mistake.

What he might do is detail our plan to head forward.

I will say, that it seems very much like an AFL directive... is this part of their 'highly conditional support?'

Jackson can't understand how this club works, and I doubt he'd be telling people to pull their heads in so soon - that's basically a Mark Neeld mistake.

What he might do is detail our plan to head forward.

Yeah pretty much. I doubt it's Jackson shouting at them.

AFL site just reported he's gone. Craig to be caretaker while we look for a new coach for 2014 onwards.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-17/neeld-out
In a way I'm relieved but in another way it's just more of the same in the interim just with the same message delivered but by a dude with a funny voice. By the end of his tenure I rated Neeld poorly & the list he's handing over (one laregely of his making) is in bad shape & I can't see it being fixed soon. No decent player would write of the rest of his career by coming to us unless he's just after money. Neeld or not, it looks like it's going to be a slow road back to anything resembling competitive.

Our midfield is still going to be poor next year, and unless we get our next coaching appointment smack ******* bang on the money I can't see us improving to the extent that we (supporters) want.
+1

The biggest disaster will be if a new highly paid senior coach comes in and the results stay the same. I still think Neeld could be a senior coach, he's obviously very switched on guy but has just had nothing to work with at all. I'm not sure that sacking him was a great move tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back