Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

The question has to be asked whether or not we play a brand of football that can stand up to finals like pressure. Wayne Carey wrote a piece talking about this a few weeks ago and I agree with a lot of the points he raised. We play a fast flowing high scoring brand of footy where outside play is the key. It looks great when it all clicks such as the games against Port and the Saints played at Etihad. It also relies a lot on skill execution and space. Put this gameplan into a final against a tough contested side like Sydney with finals pressure and well... you don't need me to go any further here.

The point is can our gameplan and cattle do enough to win a tough final? I'm not sure. Can we win ugly in the wet? Against Carlton we got our answer. We have absolutely blitzed a few teams at etihad, but can we do it at the MCG? I just want some tough hard players that can do the small defensive things. I don't want the team to be 'easy' to play against. We need to be play a brand of football that can stand up in finals.
I think this style of footy absolutely can do all of those things, but I also think no matter what your style or brand or whatever is, you need a couple of pre-seasons to establish it within the club, to get the right people in there and to train them to execute it effectively. I think there is still some complexity to be added to it, but that comes with time and training or they'd never be able to execute it. There's certainly plenty of skill errors that need to be trained out of them as well.

The question has to be asked whether or not we play a brand of football that can stand up to finals like pressure. Wayne Carey wrote a piece talking about this a few weeks ago and I agree with a lot of the points he raised. We play a fast flowing high scoring brand of footy where outside play is the key. It looks great when it all clicks such as the games against Port and the Saints played at Etihad. It also relies a lot on skill execution and space. Put this gameplan into a final against a tough contested side like Sydney with finals pressure and well... you don't need me to go any further here.

The point is can our gameplan and cattle do enough to win a tough final? I'm not sure. Can we win ugly in the wet? Against Carlton we got our answer. We have absolutely blitzed a few teams at etihad, but can we do it at the MCG? I just want some tough hard players that can do the small defensive things. I don't want the team to be 'easy' to play against. We need to be play a brand of football that can stand up in finals.

He's working with what he's got. We don't have inside mids so we've leant our game towards ball retention and slingshot footy, if we had a different list he'd have a different method.

The plan is fine as long as we can find the right people to carry it out, and we're probably 3-4 good pieces away from that.

There has been a lot of talk about brands and selections following the finals on Thursday and Friday. What is a brand problem and what isn't a brand problem?

Is any coach instructing his players not to hunt the ball and not to chase, tackle and harass? The biggest problems have been the failure of the sides to deal with the pressure that was brought by their opponents. There is no game plan that guards against an inability to win the ball and then an inability to apply pressure without it.

Sydney smashed us around the ball in the first half (and killed the game off quickly). Even if the contested ball and clearance numbers have lied on occasions our eyes should have prepared us for what happened against Sydney. We're no where near strong enough around the ball.

To criticise the game plan or brand implemented by Worsfold this year you're basically saying that we'd need to sacrifice a forward structure that worked as well as any in the competition to get extra numbers who are average contested players around the ball. There is no other solution that was available. Is a team playing with that system winning 12 games with a percentage of 106% even if it might have stood up a bit better against Sydney's onslaught yesterday? The answer should be pretty obvious.

I would, however, be very disappointed if by September 2018 we have not seen the evolution of different styles of play especially learning how to grind out games when we can't control the tempo of the game.

He has done an amazing job so far.

Our list has talent but has so many holes that are not his fault.

Two years ago we said we did not score enough, he fixed it.

Now we have no inside midfielders and he flagged that in his post game interview as something they are working on.

We are in good hands.

Maybe he's reading BigFooty? Hopefully not the game day threads though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has done an amazing job so far.

Our list has talent but has so many holes that are not his fault.

Two years ago we said we did not score enough, he fixed it.

Now we have no inside midfielders and he flagged that in his post game interview as something they are working on.

We are in good hands.
Thats technically incorrect.

He said we got smashed around the ball but we have guys on our list to fill those roles next season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-09/bombers-can-fix-inside-midfield-struggles-woosha

"We've got a lot of growth in this group and part of that is grunt as they grow and mature," Worsfold said.

"I'd say that was an area we were short against Sydney today but I think we'll be able to add that to our group from within."

Thats technically incorrect.

He said we got smashed around the ball but we have guys on our list to fill those roles next season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-09/bombers-can-fix-inside-midfield-struggles-woosha

"We've got a lot of growth in this group and part of that is grunt as they grow and mature," Worsfold said.

"I'd say that was an area we were short against Sydney today but I think we'll be able to add that to our group from within."

How is it incorrect?

He flagged it as an issue and pointed out that they know how to fix it (or at least have a plan in place for the future)

I've said it all year, no chance he gets a new deal.

If the club were smart and bold (two things we aren't), we'd sit down with Woosha, tell him we're recruiting Caracella as head coach for 2019 and assistant in 2018 and get together a succession plan.

Caracella has almost single-handily turned Richmond around this year. Their gameplan is irresistible and has a hard edge to the frezied ball moment.

He's their midfield spread and ball movement coach. Exactly what we need...

Also a bonus he's played for us but don't care about that. We lack midfield tools on the field and coaching ideas off it. We're not far away but can't afford to get more complacent now.

Would make a good director of coaching or similar. Average on game day but a good communicator. Doesn't help that he is surrounded by failures either. Need a big clean out of assistants

If the club were smart and bold (two things we aren't), we'd sit down with Woosha, tell him we're recruiting Caracella as head coach for 2019 and assistant in 2018 and get together a succession plan.

Caracella has almost single-handily turned Richmond around this year. Their gameplan is irresistible and has a hard edge to the frezied ball moment.

Also a bonus he's played for us but don't care about that. We lack midfield tools on the field and coaching ideas off it. We're not far away but can't afford to get more complacent now.

And do what?

Richmond have got the best player in the league, another top 10 midfielder (when he wants to be) Edwards, Grigg, Lambert, Caddy who can all get it 25 times a game and run and Prestia as the wildcard who's been largely shithouse throughout the year but is an A grade inside mid with a strong turn of foot finding form at the right time.

If you think Caracella could do anything with the group we've got your eyes are fair dinkum painted on

And do what?

Richmond have got the best player in the league, another top 10 midfielder (when he wants to be) Edwards, Grigg, Lambert, Caddy who can all get it 25 times a game and run and Prestia as the wildcard who's been largely shithouse throughout the year but is an A grade inside mid with a strong turn of foot finding form at the right time.

If you think Caracella could do anything with the group we've got your eyes are fair dinkum painted on
The grass is always (Josh) greener on the other side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And do what?

Don't think Caracella would sit on his hands looking like a statue in the coaches box.

Don't think Caracella would sit on his hands looking like a statue in the coaches box.

Probably right, he'd be too busy preparing a virgin sacrifice to allow Watson to run 15ks in a game instead of (at a guess) 7, Parish and McGrath to be 5 years older and for us to luck into a generational inside midfielder in his prime that does it regardless of the bloke coaching the midfield.

Your eyes must be painted on too

Probably right, he'd be too busy preparing a virgin sacrifice to allow Watson to run 15ks in a game instead of (at a guess) 7, Parish and McGrath to be 5 years older and for us to luck into a generational inside midfielder in his prime that does it regardless of the bloke coaching the midfield.

Your eyes must be painted on too
Of course the cattle isn't there but he is far too slow to react and needs to make moves. After about the 5th time in 10 minutes that Sinclair had pantsed Hurley you would of thought one of the geniuses up in the box would of pulled the trigger.
He is a shocking game day coach

We've lost multiple games this year because of coaching and while yesterday wasn't one of them, we conceded 10 straight and our coach didn't do anything but push Goddard back, which was ******* useless because we lost all the clearances and they just kicked over the spare's head.

We need more tricks.

Horrendous call.

I can understand why people would think Woosha shouldn't get a deal beyond 2018, not that I agree even slightly mind you.

But saying there is 'no chance' he gets a new deal is flat out delusional, and actually a really bizarre call given that he's just taken us to finals in a year coming straight off a wooden spoon and trying to reintegrate ten players back into the club after a year off, with some glaring positional holes still to be filled.

No chance to be there after next year? Just what planet is that the case on exactly?

I can understand why people would think Woosha shouldn't get a deal beyond 2018, not that I agree even slightly mind you.

But saying there is 'no chance' he gets a new deal is flat out delusional.
Would need to win a final to get a extension IMO and barring a huge trade/draft period I can't see it happening with this list

Would need to win a final to get a extension IMO and barring a huge trade/draft period I can't see it happening with this list
I think this is correct. I would love to see him transition into a DoC role after this.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us get Egan back to the club. He'd be a very astute appointment for whoever does so

I think this is correct. I would love to see him transition into a DoC role after this.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us get Egan back to the club. He'd be a very astute appointment for whoever does so
Need recently retired players who are not from our club. I'd be throwing money at guys like Hodge as assistant

It makes sense for us to keep sacking coaches and not look at the guy who's been in charge of building the list for 10 years.
Personally I always thought Woosha was just a short term placement and a steady head to guide us through the saga years. Now we are through the other side it's time to get serious.
I'm absolutely of the belief we should look at moving Dodoro on, time for some fresh ideas

You have just contradicted yourself slightly with that statement. You are talking about the performance of the team and the coach which is linked but are at the same time suggesting that the coach may not necessarily have the players at his disposal in order to meet your pre-determined pass mark for his performance. Shouldn't he be judged a bit more fairly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back