Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it last year or the year before we invited the media Into the club early and gave them full access...

Puff pieces for months!
Was that when they had Caroline Wilson down at the club? Shocker.

Edit; I get your point and as others have said there is no point being a dick for no reason but at the same time I don’t see any harm in keeping them a bit wary as well.

Last edited:
Have been a critic of worsfold as has had a few shockers but had a good day in the box yesterday. Didnt see the whole game but put our best available defender on geelongs best forward, and putting baguely forward was a big win. Really curtailed stewart and kolodjashnij.

Came with an effective plan and it worked. Still have question marks about his ability to make changes when the plan is not working and it only 1 week but he put in a really good performance in the box.

Outcoached scott.
Did scott really not put any work into/tag merret?
I think the cats took the game easy from the coach down, next week will be interesting as gws should be desperate and well prepared.

I think that the point Worsfold was making has been largely missed and to me it ties in perfectly with the biggest event that occurred during the week.

On Crunch Time yesterday Andy McGrath gave an interview of amazing quality during which he said that Heppell had made a point of getting to development group meetings and apologising on behalf of the senior players for leaving it to the development group to set standards (which the seniors had failed to meet).

Clearly the biggest thing that happened during the week is that the senior players got the kick in the arse that they needed - who that came from doesn't really matter.

For all of the bullshit about tactics and game plans, the team came out and hunted the ball, gang tackled for what felt like the first time in about 12 months and we then, funnily enough, became a 'forward pressing side'.

That's Worsfold's point, isn't it? He's not going to celebrate his players doing what they should do on one occasion. That's the first game in setting a standard of intensity and just in case there was some doubt no senior coach has even been concerned, not in the slightest, with the analysis of his team by media.
How do we reconcile this with your feelings on the Smith recruitment? He may well be a physically-similar player to more than a few on the list, but he works a damn sight harder, and as this weekend's game shows that's comfortably worth 10cm and 5kg, no?

How do we reconcile this with your feelings on the Smith recruitment? He may well be a physically-similar player to more than a few on the list, but he works a damn sight harder, and as this weekend's game shows that's comfortably worth 10cm and 5kg, no?

Starting point is that pressure and work rate is not negotiable. You don't select players to set standards you demand it from everyone and you drop anyone that doesn't comply. How many 'pressure players' have we selected over the last 6 years? Is there anything to suggest that it has helped to build a good culture in the best 22? It pretty clearly hasn't.

Next point would be that my criticism of Smith has never been that he can't play. My criticism is of an overall list development strategy in circumstances where, regardless of his endeavour, we're adding a midget with an average inside game to a midfield full of short people that struggles on the inside.

Following on from the last point is that Stringer, Langford, Clarke and Laverde all played midfield minutes taking time from Parish, Heppell and Zaharakis. It's not just centre square time, we also dragged the half forwards to the ball and outnumbered which is why we were gang tackling so often (because we had so many numbers around the ball). So we got the necessary improvement in attitude but we also got the physical presence around the ball.

Starting point is that pressure and work rate is not negotiable. You don't select players to set standards you demand it from everyone and you drop anyone that doesn't comply. How many 'pressure players' have we selected over the last 6 years? Is there anything to suggest that it has helped to build a good culture in the best 22? It pretty clearly hasn't.

Next point would be that my criticism of Smith has never been that he can't play. My criticism is of an overall list development strategy in circumstances where, regardless of his endeavour, we're adding a midget with an average inside game to a midfield full of short people that struggles on the inside.

Following on from the last point is that Stringer, Langford, Clarke and Laverde all played midfield minutes taking time from Parish, Heppell and Zaharakis. It's not just centre square time, we also dragged the half forwards to the ball and outnumbered which is why we were gang tackling so often (because we had so many numbers around the ball). So we got the necessary improvement in attitude but we also got the physical presence around the ball.

But in pervious weeks we also had the hff push forward to the ball - which meant when we got it we had no one to kick too and had to chip sideways - was still a different element this week other than that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back