Coach Senior Coach: John Worsfold

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Bombers,

Thought I'd post this given there is a paywall. Interesting read:

John Worsfold an ‘outsider’ at Bombers and may be a sitting duck, writes Mick Malthouse
John Worsfold isn’t a golden boy at the Bombers like James Hird. And after a finals exit, Mick Malthouse writes the pressure is mounting on the Essendon coach. But should it be?
Mick Malthouse, Sunday Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
September 8, 2019 9:00am

What is it with John Worsfold being public enemy No.1?
He was deemed a club saviour when he was appointed Essendon coach after the club’s supplements scandal, but that quickly wore off when the banned players returned and things went back to “normal”.
In the past season or two it seems that when the Bombers won the team was brilliant, and when they lost it was the coach’s fault. This appears to be driven by Essendon supporters and further fuelled by social media and the press.

John Worsfold is often blamed for a Bombers loss. Pic: Getty Images
Worsfold is a West Australian through and through. He was the golden boy of WA football when he starred for South Fremantle in the WAFL and his popularity increased when he was appointed West Coast captain in 1991 at age 22.
He is a two-time premiership skipper and West Coast premiership coach. He also represented WA in State-of-Origin five times.
As captain he was totally driven and his teammates followed without hesitation. He found conflict difficult and often relied on his vice-captain to be the disciplinarian. He was as mentally tough as he was physically courageous on field. He was stoic and fiercely loyal.
In the Perth community he was the gentle, shy and softly-spoken pharmacist, from a strong football family. Clark Kent and Superman.
But the Essendon faithful don’t care about any of that.

Not in the way they cared about dual Bombers premiership player, five-times club best and fairest and Brownlow medallist James Hird. Nor how they cared for club legend, three-time premiership player and former captain, Mark Thompson. And not how they cared for Kevin Sheedy, eventually, after he won them four premierships in 26 years as coach.
Worsfold isn’t a fan favourite like James Hird and Kevin Sheedy were during their Essendon rein.

Worsfold isn’t a fan favourite like James Hird and Kevin Sheedy were during their Essendon rein.
To Essendon fans, Worsfold is almost an impostor. He isn’t a club great. He hasn’t bled for the red and black. He isn’t even from Victoria. That makes him an outsider.
And when you’re an outsider in charge of a football club, you are always in the crosshairs.
Worsfold is Bambi in Perth. At Essendon, he’s a sitting duck.
Once upon a time when the VFL was created from suburban teams and zones, coaches generally came from within the ranks and many even played as captain-coach. It was a natural progression for a good on-field leader to become a club’s coach.
Over time many men had great success coaching at the club they played for:
— Jock McHale (Collingwood), great player, extraordinary coach.
— John Coleman (Essendon), exceptional full-forward, remarkable coach.
— John Kennedy (Hawthorn), club captain and four-time best and fairest, first premiership coach.
— Allan Jeans (St Kilda), ordinary player, extraordinary coach. St Kilda’s only premiership coach.
— Tom Hafey (Richmond), tough player, coached through the golden era at Richmond.
— John Nicholls (Carlton), brilliant player, Carlton premiership captain/coach.
— Alex Jesaulenko (Carlton), premiership player, premiership captain/coach.
Worsfold captained the Eagles to two premierships.

Heritage has always mattered in football.
But as times change and the league changes with it, the introduction of new teams has altered history. Perhaps where you come from isn’t as important.
Do football fans associate Leigh Matthews more with Hawthorn, Collingwood or the Brisbane Lions? The answer would depend on the club loyalty of that supporter.
Damien Hardwick won premierships as a player at Essendon and Port Adelaide before he took the coaching reins at Punt Rd. He came close to losing his job after seven years in charge, but guided Richmond to a drought-breaking crown the following season.
He’s now in his 10th year at Tigerland and his playing career has all but been erased from his CV as the Tiger Army claims him as one of their own.
Only success earns a coach some sort of acceptance by the supporters at a club they didn’t play for.
I was reminded of this during the week when I received a letter from a West Coast Eagles fan. The author stated that he had questioned my appointment as coach in 1990, asking: “How dare they replace a club great (John Todd) with a Victorian?”
He then wrote, “but all was forgiven” when we won the premiership in 1992!

Regardless of the letter, as much as I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Eagles and sincerely treasure the friendships formed, I remember feeling like an outsider during my 10-year tenure. I still do, to a degree, because I don’t have a West Australian heritage to intrinsically bind me to the club.
I can almost guarantee that Fremantle will appoint its next coach from one of only two candidates, both of whom are WA men with strong links to the club — Peter Sumich and Justin Longmuir.
The Dockers have had Victorians — Damian Drum, Chris Connolly, Mark Harvey and Ross Lyon — as coach for 21 of the club’s 25 seasons. Lyon took Fremantle to its only Grand Final in his second year (2013), and finals campaigns in the following two seasons, but he has departed.
There is no pressure like external pressure when supporters and the media decide you’re not the person for the job.
It is a terrible feeling when you are busting your guts to get a win and you are being potted from every angle. No matter what you do or say, you are savagely and relentlessly scrutinised until it almost distracts you from your job. No one is immune to that level of scrutiny.
It has an adverse effect on the players who don’t care where you came from, but just want to be coached.
WA product Worsfold hasn’t been embraced by the Bombers faithful. Pic: AAP
Brad Scott was regularly criticised by former Kangaroos players who said he didn’t coach North Melbourne with enough “Shinboner passion”. Really?
Don Pyke is constantly referred to as a West Australian in the South Australian media and is under immense pressure.
Even when I was at Collingwood for 12 years, I had a running joke with a kitchen volunteer who always referred to me as “the thug from Richmond”.
Like Hird at Essendon, Nathan Buckley is pure black and white and backed to the hilt by the Magpie faithful. Likewise Paul Roos at Sydney, even though he began his career at Fitzroy before playing at the Swans.
At the Richmond-Brisbane Lions game two weeks ago, I was asked by someone sitting nearby who I was barracking for. I was horrified she didn’t think I was supporting the Tigers. I am a life member at three clubs and my interest is with the clubs I’ve served.

He has history with Essendon now after four years in charge as coach, with or without a future at the club.
What a pointless article. Results are the reason why Worsfold is under pressure, not because he is an imposter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fin ice Smuggler

Club Legend
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah that's a great trait to have as our leader? Not.

Ridiculous article by Malthouse referring more to a reflection of his football coaching life.

Sheedy never played for red and black yet we embraced him. I think majority embraced whoosh as well but the game style isn't stacking up.

Woosh lied to us as well, he told us to get excited this year?

Burzum

Sack Dodoro
Nov 28, 2006
Melbourne/Alingsås
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sverige
Hi Bombers,

John Worsfold an ‘outsider’ at Bombers and may be a sitting duck, writes Mick Malthouse
John Worsfold isn’t a golden boy at the Bombers like James Hird. And after a finals exit, Mick Malthouse writes the pressure is mounting on the Essendon coach. But should it be?
Subscriber only
|

He was deemed a club saviour when he was appointed Essendon coach after the club’s supplements scandal, but that quickly wore off when the banned players returned and things went back to “normal”.
In the past season or two it seems that when the Bombers won the team was brilliant, and when they lost it was the coach’s fault. This appears to be driven by Essendon supporters and further fuelled by social media and the press.

Worsfold is a West Australian through and through. He was the golden boy of WA football when he starred for South Fremantle in the WAFL and his popularity increased when he was appointed West Coast captain in 1991 at age 22.
He is a two-time premiership skipper and West Coast premiership coach. He also represented WA in State-of-Origin five times.
As captain he was totally driven and his teammates followed without hesitation. He found conflict difficult and often relied on his vice-captain to be the disciplinarian. He was as mentally tough as he was physically courageous on field. He was stoic and fiercely loyal.
In the Perth community he was the gentle, shy and softly-spoken pharmacist, from a strong football family. Clark Kent and Superman.

Not in the way they cared about dual Bombers premiership player, five-times club best and fairest and Brownlow medallist James Hird. Nor how they cared for club legend, three-time premiership player and former captain, Mark Thompson. And not how they cared for Kevin Sheedy, eventually, after he won them four premierships in 26 years as coach.

To Essendon fans, Worsfold is almost an impostor. He isn’t a club great. He hasn’t bled for the red and black. He isn’t even from Victoria. That makes him an outsider.
And when you’re an outsider in charge of a football club, you are always in the crosshairs.
Once upon a time when the VFL was created from suburban teams and zones, coaches generally came from within the ranks and many even played as captain-coach. It was a natural progression for a good on-field leader to become a club’s coach.
— John Kennedy (Hawthorn), club captain and four-time best and fairest, first premiership coach.
— Allan Jeans (St Kilda), ordinary player, extraordinary coach. St Kilda’s only premiership coach.
— Tom Hafey (Richmond), tough player, coached through the golden era at Richmond.

But as times change and the league changes with it, the introduction of new teams has altered history. Perhaps where you come from isn’t as important.
Do football fans associate Leigh Matthews more with Hawthorn, Collingwood or the Brisbane Lions? The answer would depend on the club loyalty of that supporter.
Damien Hardwick won premierships as a player at Essendon and Port Adelaide before he took the coaching reins at Punt Rd. He came close to losing his job after seven years in charge, but guided Richmond to a drought-breaking crown the following season.
He’s now in his 10th year at Tigerland and his playing career has all but been erased from his CV as the Tiger Army claims him as one of their own.
Only success earns a coach some sort of acceptance by the supporters at a club they didn’t play for.
I was reminded of this during the week when I received a letter from a West Coast Eagles fan. The author stated that he had questioned my appointment as coach in 1990, asking: “How dare they replace a club great (John Todd) with a Victorian?”

Regardless of the letter, as much as I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Eagles and sincerely treasure the friendships formed, I remember feeling like an outsider during my 10-year tenure. I still do, to a degree, because I don’t have a West Australian heritage to intrinsically bind me to the club.
I can almost guarantee that Fremantle will appoint its next coach from one of only two candidates, both of whom are WA men with strong links to the club — Peter Sumich and Justin Longmuir.
The Dockers have had Victorians — Damian Drum, Chris Connolly, Mark Harvey and Ross Lyon — as coach for 21 of the club’s 25 seasons. Lyon took Fremantle to its only Grand Final in his second year (2013), and finals campaigns in the following two seasons, but he has departed.
There is no pressure like external pressure when supporters and the media decide you’re not the person for the job.
It is a terrible feeling when you are busting your guts to get a win and you are being potted from every angle. No matter what you do or say, you are savagely and relentlessly scrutinised until it almost distracts you from your job. No one is immune to that level of scrutiny.
It has an adverse effect on the players who don’t care where you came from, but just want to be coached.
Brad Scott was regularly criticised by former Kangaroos players who said he didn’t coach North Melbourne with enough “Shinboner passion”. Really?
Don Pyke is constantly referred to as a West Australian in the South Australian media and is under immense pressure.
Even when I was at Collingwood for 12 years, I had a running joke with a kitchen volunteer who always referred to me as “the thug from Richmond”.
Like Hird at Essendon, Nathan Buckley is pure black and white and backed to the hilt by the Magpie faithful. Likewise Paul Roos at Sydney, even though he began his career at Fitzroy before playing at the Swans.
At the Richmond-Brisbane Lions game two weeks ago, I was asked by someone sitting nearby who I was barracking for. I was horrified she didn’t think I was supporting the Tigers. I am a life member at three clubs and my interest is with the clubs I’ve served.

He has history with Essendon now after four years in charge as coach, with or without a future at the club.
I don't buy into this. If Mark Harvey was the head coach then I think most people would still feel the same way. A bit of leeway is given to club champions but if the fans aren't happy then they'll still want change. The support for Hird was different because of the cult of personality, people believed he was the right coach, and it was Essendon against the world. In a way, wanting Hird sacked was an admission of guilt and defeat.

topheavy

Rookie
Jun 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Bombers,

Subscriber only
|

Let’s not sweep under the carpet the bias Mick has towards John in writing this article.

I think the fans would relate better to Worsfold if it looked like he really cared. Unfortunately for mine it looks like he is coaching for the paycheck.
Actions speak louder than words at the end of day. I’m just hearing lip service from Worsfold about all the ‘positives’.
An acceptance of absolute mediocrity with our talented list (Saad, Stringer, Hurley, Hooker, McGrath, Tippa, Fantasia, Merrett, Redman, Shiel, Heppell, Francis with Smith and Daniher to come back in) is infuriating.

vast

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2005
Nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely the club has to say something soon right?

If he wants to go for family reasons and isnt committed fine but if he is and wants to see out next year at least and they honestly believe he has done a good job then just back him in for the last year of his contract.

Vindicater

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Jungle drums are beating that he will be here next year but with limited tactical decisions.

Rutten to take over in 2021.

Maxabillions

The don
Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I’m not sure of his logic given Kevin Sheedy was from Richmond.
"Only success earns a coach some sort of acceptance by the supporters at a club they didn’t play for."

Sheedy won four premierships.

Do you think we would have seen a #standbywoosha hashtag if he had been in charge during the supplements saga?

Not saying that there aren't issues with his coaching but I think it's true he's under more pressure particularly from past players in the media than he would if he had played for Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Donners

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
"Only success earns a coach some sort of acceptance by the supporters at a club they didn’t play for."

Sheedy won four premierships.

Do you think we would have seen a #standbywoosha hashtag if he had been in charge during the supplements saga?

Not saying that there aren't issues with his coaching but I think it's true he's under more pressure particularly from past players in the media than he would if he had played for Essendon.
I’m not sure there is acceptance for any coach of any club no matter who they played for if they can’t bring success.

Kevin Bartlett, Francis Bourke, Tony Shaw, Brett Ratten, Michael Voss. Didn’t last much beyond 5 years as coaches of the club they were premiership players and champions of.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Word going around that Worsfold will be our coach in 2020. You have one year to give it everything John. Don't waste it.

Fin ice Smuggler

Club Legend
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What a roller coaster day? Aussies doing well in cricket, get smashed in cycling race, vfl start poorly, take control before looking likely to get run over til Jok goals, now WOOSH confirmed. God damn it!!!! I was on a high after VFL win 😭

Top Bottom