Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2005
Nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting, we are equal 13th this year for clearances with 36.3 per game

Equal with... Collingwood.

Richmond are 18th with 34.
Richmond doesnt suprise me that much because they rely of pressure to turn the ball over and take it from there alot.

The pies being so low does a little but i would say when the pies do win the clearance they would be more effective then we are.

Thinking back to Anzac day I thought our mids clearly beat theres after qtr time it was just that we butchered the ball alot more at it just waant shiel that day too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 25, 2005
Other Teams
essendon
Woosha should have been let go for the following reasons:

- Making the finals and being battered is not a successful season and the finals are an arbitrary benchmark in any case. It's really a 17 team competition and finishing 8th is no achievement.
- Furthermore, trading away so many draft picks for established players makes finishing 8th a disaster. We don't have many kids coming through so the window for a flag is small.
- What does Woosha do to make the team better? How many wins were because he outcoached his opponent?
- How many games was he outcoached? Plenty.
- The team plays without any aggression. No way the Dons could pull off what GWS did on the weekend.
- Yes, we have had injuries but so have other clubs. If we were losing by 1-2 goals then fair enough but we were nowhere near the top teams in 2019.
- Lastly, 12 wins three years in a row. I saw someone comment that there is no guarantee the next coach will be any better but it is absolutely worth trying.

The one ray of hope from Thursday was it might force the CEO to move but it's not going to happen and it's a mess. They will be ordinary again next year and sack Woosha 6 or 7 games in when it should have happened in 2018.

This club has become mediocre and it starts at board level. I know the saga was the cause of that for a while but compare it now to the Sheedy era and we are now a less gritty North Melbourne.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
The win-loss is a big misleading considering we were robbed by Jumpin Rampe and should probably have beaten Collingwood on ANZAC day.
We don't have access to parallel universes though unfortunately so saying that is pretty much irrelivant.

Also why does it even matter with what happens to us in finals?

Finals are an elevation in pressure and we pretty much do our utmost to ignore it keeping this strange mantra of playing our way, a once effective strategy used by the GFC under Bomber to kill floods which was eventually killed off by loads of contested pressure.

Port have been trying the same thing for years now too and getting nowhere except proving an old cliche to be right. "The definition of insanity" Something Something same thing expecting different outcome.

Johns game plan is flawed because he doesn't have the cattle at the contest and the players attitude when the pressure gets amped fails with some odd entitled "ohh well at least I'll still get my ridiculous paycheck" theme.

How many more times are we going to attempt the same thing???

The halfback run is a beautiful luxury but it should be just that, secondary to winning the ball at the cold face.

Not an entire based strategy.

Did you see the way WC rag-dolled us at the contests, it was embarrassing, Sydney did it to us last final...

Pretty footy in H&A n memberships is what we are and more fool us thinking it's going to change when things don't change.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
We were ahead of Collingwood for 0% of the time on ANZAC Day. I'm sick of people blaming the umps for losing a game we never lead in.
I wasn't blaming the umps for that loss but to be within a kick shows we could have won but it highlights why they finished top four and we didn't because good sides win those close ones.

westking

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2010
ml.atc.sux.bad
AFL Club
Essendon
its kind of funny that the first teams eliminated from the finals get the blow torch on them much more than the teams that missed the finals. I understand there is more focus on them because they are the only 2 out, rather than one of ten the week before but in the end, they still made the finals overr the other stragglers. Why smash the 8th placed team in the media more than ones that finished 10th or 9th?

I didnt see no, 'do they need nuclear change' crap spoken about port or norf or hawthorn...

8th and out is the poisoned chalace
I think most people look at 7th and 8th as the so called ‘fortunate teams it could be any number of six’ teams. So when the inevitable elimination occurs (bar one yr) they get lumped into the rest of the non-contenders. It would be interesting if they had a top 6 only finals year not that it would ever happen so I’m just talking s**t....again.

westking

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2010
ml.atc.sux.bad
AFL Club
Essendon
I personally think it’s a good move keeping Worsfold around. Let Rutten and Caracella and the rest of the assistants steer the ship. John is now a mentor senior coach and I think it will work just fine. It’s the media who will struggle with this concept.
I think it was important Xavier Campbell came out publicly (along with SMaddern) and confirmed the club wants him to stay and fulfill his contract.
So if John decides to move back to Perth now it’s John walking out......but going off what Worsfold has said publicly, he will be hanging around for another year.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s funny how people tell us what to be satisfied with when their team makes grand finals.

We went backwards from 2017. 12-10 is nothing to commend. You don’t spend a ton of first round picks in trades to go backwards.

Last year, we started the season s**t and missed finals because of that.

The one thing he needed to do was get us ready for round one. We had most of our players. He didn’t. Nearly cost us finals again. Only reason it didn’t was because everyone else around us were s**t.

Ok we made it. The one thing we needed to do was remain competitive on Thursday. Again, another fail.

The biggest issue with Worsfold is that he genuinely believes this was a successful season. 12-10 with a % of 95 and another EF thrashing is apparently successful. No successful coach would ever say he was proud of yet another EF thrashing. Doesn’t set the right standard. Doesn’t challenge the players to improve.

He’s back again so he needs to pull his fingers out and set the right standard. Hopefully Rutten and Caracalla take care of gameplan.

So other than all that, what did those bloody Romans ever do for us?

srobbo

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
This has to be some sort of succession plan next year with a view of a big shift on how we play.

I’d imagine Rutten/Cara are given the reins to a reasonable extent with him mentoring them.

Bjchan13

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
This has to be some sort of succession plan next year with a view of a big shift on how we play.

I’d imagine Rutten/Cara are given the reins to a reasonable extent with him mentoring them.
Think its been the plan all year long and definitely since announcing caracellas appointment. I also believe Rutten knows he gets top job 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s more that he did a reasonable job gives the circumstances and they’ve brought in Caracella to assist. Plus the fact he has a year left and should be given the chance.

$800k a year for a reasonable job?

We could have bought Gary Ayers a new car and he would have done a reasonable job.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
We were ahead of Collingwood for 0% of the time on ANZAC Day. I'm sick of people blaming the umps for losing a game we never lead in.
And overlooking winning games when losing CP by 50 and getting out of jail against GWS who should have put us to sleep in the 3rd.

It all balances out.

Not to mention that the game was over and a guy who'd be a top 5-7 kick for distance in the league couldn't even get close. It's not like he missed. The kick fell short by a considerable distance.

Last edited:

Bjchan13

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
If we finish 12th next year does Rutten still get the Job?
Obviously im speculating as much as anyone but it just looks like a succession plan to me and has for a while. Dont think our finishing position would change that too much. We know Wooshes family is in Perth and he probably wants to get there sooner rather than later. I feel like when he re-signed for 2 years in 2018 it was to help us transition to a senior coach. But again im guessing.

Fin ice Smuggler

Club Legend
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If we finish 12th next year does Rutten still get the Job?
Matty Lloyd big on Solomon? Problem is neither have coached a team in own right?

So many questions? Who's got their hands on exit interviews, recruitment, who's in charge match day? Was Rutten making the calls from coaches box this year when woosh went to bench? Who's addressing the players? Who fronts the media? Who's responsible for what?

They need to announce it otherwise if we have another poor pre season the media will come hunting like a pack of hungry wolves. Testing times.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I think this is the right decision. Sometimes it takes more guts to hold firm than to react to external pressure.

Based on several things that has happened last and this year I get the feeling we’ve had a constant internal review:
- Neeld, Paul Corrigan and Harding moved on from the assistant coaching panel.
- Turk and Crow moved on from the fitness department.
- Rutten and Caracalla high profile assistants recruited.

Who knows if there’s more change to come. Retirements of Myers, Baguley, Dea and talk of Laverde being on the table.

The win-loss has been the same the past three years but I see a major improvement in team defence and our injury list has been shocking compared with 2017.

Right call IMO.
I'm hoping they've been focusing on proven and exceptional fitness and conditioning staff. If we don't hit the field red hot in March the questions and scrutiny will be immediate.

The Donners

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
its kind of funny that the first teams eliminated from the finals get the blow torch on them much more than the teams that missed the finals. I understand there is more focus on them because they are the only 2 out, rather than one of ten the week before but in the end, they still made the finals overr the other stragglers. Why smash the 8th placed team in the media more than ones that finished 10th or 9th?

I didnt see no, 'do they need nuclear change' crap spoken about port or norf or hawthorn...

8th and out is the poisoned chalace
3 coaches were sacked of the bottom 10. Clarko has a 5-year leave pass, Goodwin took Melbourne to a prelim last year, Longmire is rebuilding Sydney, plenty of pressure on Hinkley, plenty of pressure on Pike. More pressure will come on Dew next year.

Woosha is not being singled out.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Matty Lloyd big on Solomon? Problem is neither have coached a team in own right?

So many questions? Who's got their hands on exit interviews, recruitment, who's in charge match day? Was Rutten making the calls from coaches box this year when woosh went to bench? Who's addressing the players? Who fronts the media? Who's responsible for what?

They need to announce it otherwise if we have another poor pre season the media will come hunting like a pack of hungry wolves. Testing times.

Worfold to be the figure head. Use his experience to talk to the media and fans.

Fin ice Smuggler

Club Legend
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Worfold to be the figure head. Use his experience to talk to the media and fans.
okay but who's reporting to whom? Its been a Major flaw of ours with Woosh at the helm, so much so they sacked Neeld which then created a circuit breaker for us to play like a top 4 side, unfortunately our poor start to the year cost us.

We are now adding what we have subtracted so issues are still gong to arise and Woosh as displayed in bulldogs match doesnt provide direction to the players.

They better sort it out soon otherwise too many chiefs not enough indians results in disaster.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
okay but who's reporting to whom? Its been a Major flaw of ours with Woosh at the helm, so much so they sacked Neeld which then created a circuit breaker for us to play like a top 4 side, unfortunately our poor start to the year cost us.

We are now adding what we have subtracted so issues are still gong to arise and Woosh as displayed in bulldogs match doesnt provide direction to the players.

They better sort it out soon otherwise too many chiefs not enough indians results in disaster.

I was being sarcastic.

It is a fantasy that Rutten and Caracella are now the coaches.

If that was the case why not just announce a succession plan? There is literally nothing to lose.

Posters are rationalizing a horrendous decision based on hope. The hope that surely the club will not persist with this rubbish.

I mean, I thought we had a good list.

We can only take Worsfold at face value when he talks about building for a premiership and being in charge for 18 months.

I would have thought the results clearly speak for themselves.

There is no premiership brand which is why the only shot we fired against a good side was when Daniher's brilliance basically held us together on ANZAC day. There has been virtually no attempt to use the list to build that brand (with the only attempt, Clarke being dumped when it counted).

All of the decisions which are made indicate satisfaction with the game style.

The team is stacked with plodders and uncompettitive players.

The comments about Campbell's future being tied to Worsfold are almost certainly spot on.

I still need someone to explain the point of a head coach who needs assistants to coach the side for him.

Posters should always apply the level of scepticism that was being applied in response to the Supplements Saga. It's otherwise just being turned on and off as is expedient or least challenging.

Last edited:

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I highly doubt there’s a succession plan in place.

People forget the reason for a succession plan... somebody is leaving!

Do we have any indication whatsoever that Worsfold is leaving after 2020 of his own accord? That he thinks his time is up and doesn’t want to coach any more?

I don’t think so.

What, so you go to one of the most senior people in the club and say “your time is up, we’re bringing this bloke through to replace you, so you’ll mentor him then you’re gone...”

I don’t think he’d agree to that. If that were the case I reckon he’d have walked and been chasing one of the vacant jobs this year. I mean if he’s gone in 12 months anyway.

Top Bottom