Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

We absolutely underperformed in 2018. The year in isolation was a failure. Once you go 2-6 as we did, it takes a minor miracle to get to finals and, with the logjam of teams around the 11-13 win mark, it was probably always going to be a step too far.

In the end BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! is the one that really nailed it I believe; it was a failure but, hopefully, not a waste in the longer term. There were things that went wrong undoubtedly, and they need to be addressed. For whatever reason, our game plan seems to work far less effectively at the MCG this year compared to last, and that needs addressing for obvious reasons. We still need more class through the midfield, although I'd argue overall the midfield has improved significantly compared to 2017. I have some concerns around what will happen in the backline in a few years with Hooker and Hurley getting no younger.

Obviously, the mismanagement of Daniher was a genuine catastrophe, and we've had a pretty bad run with other injuries once you consider Fantasia, McKernan, Gleeson, Ambrose, Begley and Zaharakis too. Contrast that with the good run we had in 2017.

I get the pessimism people feel; hell, despite what some think, I'd think I'm hardly a blind optimist either. In the end we've all lived the last 15 years as supporters, what with the shitness and the false dawns. In the end, I believe I have seen signs that the group is playing a more sustainable type of football now than in the past; it still needs work, but I believe (hope) that it's closer to what is required now than it was 12 months ago.

But I also think it's hardly ridiculous to feel that there were some genuine positives to come out of the year either, and thinking that is hardly worthy of derision. If we'd had the same injury run in 2018 as 2017, with the same easier draw, but still had the same positional weaknesses as we did in 2017, then I'd be more inclined to have sympathy for those who don't see any positives to come out of the year.

That's not been the case though.

My man B4L summed it up perfectly - it was a failure of a season but not a waste.

We set objectives to win a final and didn’t even make finals. So we’ve failed the s**t out of that and there is no getting around it.

But failing can be a wonderful opportunity to learn and grow, and to ensure we don’t make the same mistakes in the future.

And, as mentioned above - we’ve learnt about game style, players, attitude etc, and changed some things to definitely improve in the last part of the year.

if we can ensure we continue this into next year, failing this year will not be a waste. An abject disappointing failure yes. But not a waste.
HIRE THIS MAN

I think theres been considerable improvement in all areas this year....but before that Geelong game we had a lazy mentality..then it clicked and they chased like maniacs.

A few more notches up next year and before you know it we could be a top 4 side again....which woukd be great when you think of the absymal depths of hell we have risen from.

Ballsed up the start of the year. Played a side that moved like Stonehendge. Took half a season to adjust and play some decent footy.

I find it hard to forgive those mistakes. Not giving enough games to a few guys like Ridley and Redman irks me also.

The team did show some spirit and fight in the second half so all is not lost. If this was the EPL he would have been sacked long ago.

Leads the club well though from what we see and looks to be a strong leader. He'll be coach next year so no point debating. Top 8 minimum, pushing top 4.

ESS-header.png

If
Woosha's public utterances about this not being a wasted season are actually the same utterances he's making internally ...

then
Xavier Campbell needs to pull him aside and read him the riot act. For a club which has for self-inflicted reasons wasted a few seasons since 2013, to miss the finals in the clean air of 2018 was a massive failure for which he needs to take full responsibility.

ESS-header.png

If
Woosha's public utterances about this not being a wasted season are actually the same utterances he's making internally ...

then
Xavier Campbell needs to pull him aside and read him the riot act. For a club which has for self-inflicted reasons wasted a few seasons since 2013, to miss the finals in the clean air of 2018 was a massive failure for which he needs to take full responsibility.

He’s not wrong.

You think clubs like Cats,Hawks,Sydney would be happy with missing finals? I don’t think so club should be bitterly disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not wrong.

You think clubs like Cats,Hawks,Sydney would be happy with missing finals? I don’t think so club should be bitterly disappointed.
You really honestly believe what Woosha says privately and publicly are the same thing? Come on dude.

It’s just another excuse for Damo to be a *head.

ESS-header.png

If

then
Rah ran rah rah hey remember ASAGA, silly essendon, we should remind them rah rah rah rah rah rah rah.....

Honestly, give it a spell.

You know what hasnt been mentioned?

Like at all?

That we should have done better this season.

We would want to make the 8 next year otherwise there is going to be hell to pay.

He’s not wrong.

There's a difference between a failed season and a wasted season.

You know what hasnt been mentioned?

Like at all?

That we should have done better this season.

We would want to make the 8 next year otherwise there is going to be hell to pay.

Hence why apparently we have just recruited Rutten who has head coaching ambitions according to a recent article I read on the AFL website (can be taken with a grain of salt)...

This appointment just heightens my thoughts that Mark Neeld was abysmal, didn't we let him go because we thought we were too top heavy in the coaching department yet we hire another assistant?

It is possible but unlikely that by the end of this round, since round 8 we will have only lost to the teams placed 1, 2 and 3 on the ladder, and beaten the teams in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th.

One thing that gives me hope is that by round 8 it was a struggle to name a single player on our list that had improved.

By the end of the season the ones that had made strides at AFL level: Francis, Bellchambers, Langford, Parish, Myers, Baguley, McKenna, McGrath, Redman plus all 3 of our recruits in Smith, Stringer and Saad. There are also plenty that have showed improvement in the VFL and in a handful of AFL games (particularly our group of 2nd year players).

To be a good team you have to get more out of your players. Not just the stars but also role players too. Its the hallmark of a good team.

I hope the players burn all preseason at the opportunity they didn't earn themselves because of their poor start to the year.

One thing that gives me hope is that by round 8 it was a struggle to name a single player on our list that had improved.

By the end of the season the ones that had made strides at AFL level: Francis, Bellchambers, Langford, Parish, Myers, Baguley, McKenna, McGrath, Redman plus all 3 of our recruits in Smith, Stringer and Saad. There are also plenty that have showed improvement in the VFL and in a handful of AFL games (particularly our group of 2nd year players).

To be a good team you have to get more out of your players. Not just the stars but also role players too. Its the hallmark of a good team.

I hope the players burn all preseason at the opportunity they didn't earn themselves because of their poor start to the year.
I'd put Heppell in the improvers list too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back