Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

If memory serves me correctly didn’t hawks have political issues with clarko appointment? I think Dermie was in Gary Ayres or Terry Wallace corner whereas dunstall chose with his head and not his heart???

Was similar to K Sheedy appointment as you mentioned.
Yep, Dermie wanted Ayres or Wallace because TUG THE BROWN AND GOLD STRIPES basically.

Think it’s fair to say Dunstall had more of a clue.

After watching a completely fatalistic Mr Worsfold in his presser last evening, IMHO this is what I would do:

- Remove Mr Worsfold with Ratten (or another tough mongrel OFF the field) and given a chance to sort us out for rest of year. If he does, a one year contract with a chance for a another 2 IF he performs.
- Remove the word "managed" from EFC lexicon. They are effing AFL Footballers paid 100's of 1000's. Not pansy's....but then again. They are paid to play bloody Footy not be managed.
- Mid Season Draft, draft Heppell the Younger. Bottom of the pack inside mid who gets the ball unlike the next point.
- Sack Mr Myers. Plays out year in 2's.
- Zaka not far behind. Has no heart.
- Play Mynott, Clarke, Heppell the Younger, Ridley, Mossie, Begley, Langford etc immediately and all dead wood can kick the dew off.
- Bring in PwC to shake up the Club with a Top to Bottom Review of the joint starting with the effing "Medical" Team who it seems adept at producing copious amounts of soft tissue injuries. Not just 3 weekers but 10 weekers. It takes some type of skill to create a 10 week hammy for a poor bloke trying to get his game off the ground after only 5 minutes of playing after warming up correctly.
- Recruit some mongrels a la Merv, Mr Rotten, et all so all will know you play Essendon you will come up against some tough physical oppo.

But what would we know?
We are only the Members (A La Shareholders - ~80k of us) conned into supporting a soft appendage of a Football Club. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ratten or Rutten? Would be pretty hard to poach ratten from saints as a gap replacement Coach?

I wouldn't take Heppell Jnr either. One is enough and I'd sack him.

I understand your passion and motives though. We need to get tough.

"Managing" Daniher is the stupidest thing John could have done. I'm all for resting players when required. But that was the slap in the face that Sydney needed. Perfect storm. Call it something else like soreness at least. Dumb coaching. Dumb leadership. Wrong message to send the players that we don't in fact need one of our best players for this game. It will all just happen as long as we stick to our structures blah blah blah. We got killed in the air last night but rest one of our tall players who can take a grab on any part of the ground. Haven't watched a post match press conference all year but I'm guessing it was all about sticking to structures, putting it on the players to coach themselves during a game cos that's what great sides do, we are going to go away hit the track and fix some things. My relationship with this club has changed a great deal over the last few years. Never stay shitty over losses, decisions for too long . When we are up I'm the worst supporter when we are up now just like all those other supporters we hate. Very much take what I can, what makes me happy not what makes me angry. Emotional invest is very limited just like our players who have a laugh and hug after losing to the bottom team by less than a goal. I understand the relationship much better now than I have in the past.

Go Don's!

Does anyone have much insight into how the coaching structure at Essendon is supposed to work?

Worsfold obviously sits at the top and I presume Harding and Rutten sit under him but do they sit above the rest of the "performance" coaches as some sort of second tier or do they all have the same level of seniority under the head coach? And just on being a "performance" coach, who looks after the defenders, the forwards, the midfielders? We have a "Team Offence" and a "Team Defence" coach which I suppose is nice in theory but do we have anybody who specifically and exclusively coaches the forwards on their craft?

And just on "Team Offence", Rob Harding's supposed responsibility, surely there's supposed to be far more craft behind it than slamming it on the boot into the forward 50 to a disorganised pack of players. At this point I'm not sure if the long bombs are part of the plan and our small forwards aren't doing enough to win the ball at ground level because we've been doing it with impunity the last three matches.

I feel like the management team in charge of hiring coaches has started on some weird collect-em-all drive without any thought of how they're all supposed to work together.

Does anyone have much insight into how the coaching structure at Essendon is supposed to work?

Worsfold obviously sits at the top and I presume Harding and Rutten sit under him but do they sit above the rest of the "performance" coaches as some sort of second tier or do they all have the same level of seniority under the head coach? And just on being a "performance" coach, who looks after the defenders, the forwards, the midfielders? We have a "Team Offence" and a "Team Defence" coach which I suppose is nice in theory but do we have anybody who specifically and exclusively coaches the forwards on their craft?

And just on "Team Offence", Rob Harding's supposed responsibility, surely there's supposed to be far more craft behind it than slamming it on the boot into the forward 50 to a disorganised pack of players. At this point I'm not sure if the long bombs are part of the plan and our small forwards aren't doing enough to win the ball at ground level because we've been doing it with impunity the last three matches.

I feel like the management team in charge of hiring coaches has started on some weird collect-em-all drive without any thought of how they're all supposed to work together.
There's another thread about assistant coaches that explains their roles, linked to from the pinned contracts thread if you can't find it.

I think Rutten and Harding advise Woosha on game day and do a lot of research, at least Harding does (watches a lot of footage to find out about the opposition's strategies), which informs their training. Not sure how much they work directly with the players, but they are working across zones not just with one group of players. "Team" defence and "team" offence. So looking at the big picture.

The 'performance coaches' are more hands on, they work directly with the players during training etc. Drilling skills, structures, running patterns, whatever else. Harvey is defence, Skipworth is midfield (used to be forward) and Corrigan is forwards (used to be VFL coach).

Was actually coming here to post this as well: Footballistics Sample it's quite interesting about Clarkson's early days playing for North, then talking his way onto Melbourne's list, working as a runner, talking his way into a coaching course, then working as a coach in the local leagues, SANFL, and under Tim Watson at the Saints. Then when he got the job at Hawthorn, and what he did afterwards to set up the coaching structure there.

It's a pity he hadn't coached a team under his own jurisdiction yet to provide us a sample size of coaching experience but if we can't get Clarkson what about his successor? Sam Mitchell? Hungry for success, wasn't the most gifted junior but worked his backside off to be an elite footballer. Knows how to play midfield, did a playing coaching role at west coast when things looked sour, moved to full time midfield coach to help win a premiership. Surely saw first hand how west coast defence works and is now under Clarkson eye.

Just had a look at first page of this thread. In hindsight should've got Dew if he was available?

I'd sack worsfold now, today. I'd interview 1 of those candidates on first page Simon Lloyd along with Mitchell, caracelle (*), Rutten, Ratten, Dan Jordan, Luke Hodge.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

Was listening to the podcast "Trends with Marc McGowan" (which has been great). This week they had Leroy Lobo on in what was probably my favourite episode far. Towards the end they were talking of the Telstra Tracker with Leroy saying that whoever wins defensive running wins 75-80% of the time.

Decided to have a look at how we stack up - we've lost defensive running every game except 1 (vs Melbourne). Makes me wonder if this is a glaring issue for us.

Defensive Running (average kph)
R1 - GWS 8.2, ESS 7.0
R2 - Saints 8.3, ESS 8.0
R3 - ESS 7.6, Dees 7.5
R4 - Lions 7.8, ESS 7.7
R5 - North 8.0, ESS 7.7
R6 - Pies 8.0, ESS 7.8
R7 - Cats 8.3, ESS 7.6
R8 - Swans 8.5, ESS 7.6

7.5-7.8 kph seems to be our range while the teams beating us have posted 8.0-8.5 kph.

We can point to the forward line as a big reason we've struggled but this is a really interesting stat.

Hi all,

Was listening to the podcast "Trends with Marc McGowan" (which has been great). This week they had Leroy Lobo on in what was probably my favourite episode far. Towards the end they were talking of the Telstra Tracker with Leroy saying that whoever wins defensive running wins 75-80% of the time.

Decided to have a look at how we stack up - we've lost defensive running every game except 1 (vs Melbourne). Makes me wonder if this is a glaring issue for us.

Defensive Running (average kph)
R1 - GWS 8.2, ESS 7.0
R2 - Saints 8.3, ESS 8.0
R3 - ESS 7.6, Dees 7.5
R4 - Lions 7.8, ESS 7.7
R5 - North 8.0, ESS 7.7
R6 - Pies 8.0, ESS 7.8
R7 - Cats 8.3, ESS 7.6
R8 - Swans 8.5, ESS 7.6

7.5-7.8 kph seems to be our range while the teams beating us have posted 8.0-8.5 kph.

We can point to the forward line as a big reason we've struggled but this is a really interesting stat.

Unusual start given the speed we have off half back, guess a couple of the big fellas drag the average down.

Unusual start given the speed we have off half back, guess a couple of the big fellas drag the average down.

Thats what I thought too. But if you look at us outside of Saad, McKenna and Redman none of our other defenders are particularly fast. I think what drags us down is our midfielders pace/running. Heppell, Myers, Zaka, Parish, Guelfi, Langford. This is a combo of players that either lack defensive running, or are better long distance but not as quick.

It's what makes Ham interesting this week despite his low posessions, across both teams this week:
- Most distance covered
- Most distance covered via sprint efforts
- Highest maximum speed
- 13 pressure acts

Yep, Dermie wanted Ayres or Wallace because TUG THE BROWN AND GOLD STRIPES basically.

Think it’s fair to say Dunstall had more of a clue.

They offered Wallace the job. That’s who they wanted. He knocked it back and took the Richmond job.

Clarkson was their second choice, Dunstall included.

The salient point is though, they didn’t just try to appoint Wallace. They ran a process.

Defensive running isn’t defenders running. Usually the opposite. It’s players like Zaharakis who only break into a sprint when they can sniff a possession going forward.

Defensive running isn’t defenders running. Usually the opposite. It’s players like Zaharakis who only break into a sprint when they can sniff a possession going forward.

Of all the stats that have been thrown up etc this one is probably the one I feel means the most.
Probably means that we haven't recaptured the form from last year when our entire game evolved to be built off that running and pressure.

I guess maybe the argument could be made we have changed things so we aren't having to run as much maybe? With the way it's all setup, but I have a feeling that might be clutching at straws a bit.

I still think a lot of the issues fall on the players not the coaching staff. Then again there does come a point where it's on the coaches not getting the players into the mindset to win.

Of all the stats that have been thrown up etc this one is probably the one I feel means the most.
Probably means that we haven't recaptured the form from last year when our entire game evolved to be built off that running and pressure.

I guess maybe the argument could be made we have changed things so we aren't having to run as much maybe? With the way it's all setup, but I have a feeling that might be clutching at straws a bit.

I still think a lot of the issues fall on the players not the coaching staff. Then again there does come a point where it's on the coaches not getting the players into the mindset to win.
We had that form for 10-12 games, before we were doing what we are now.

It seems that run of games was an anomaly of Worsfolds tenure. Does he try and make a game plan the players can play week in week out? lol no, that's too far a strecth for Ol' Johnny to think of multiple plans of attack.

Stick
Fork
Done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back