Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Y’all are talking as if all 17 other coaches have a plan b or make changes on the fly during the game.

Do you want to spew?

They didn’t ask any hard questions. Tim asked about vulnerability but was backing down when WOOSH got his back up. But when he said he was happy with where we are? Go back ‘you were 2-7 last year and didn’t make finals your 3-5 and lost to saints and bottom of ladder swans who you should’ve beaten by 7 goals plus based on talent?’

I only saw a snippet on social media that was Darcy saying “are you surprised by the amount of bile and negativity directed at you? I’ve never seen anything like it”

What? You’ve never seen anything like it? Speaking only of Essendon, the other three senior coaches we’ve had in my lifetime have copped more.

Christ Darcy is a muppet.

Can you feel it?

It's happening...the world's are aligning..

Woosh gets sacked, efc needs care taker while they go thru a rigorous process to find our next coach.

In steps J Hird to caretake temporarily.. ess win a few games, Hird slips seemlessly back into afl circles with no backlash.. Ess appoint Hird Ole Gunnar style after rigerous process.

Welcome back Jim.

Can you feel it?

It's happening...the world's are aligning..

Woosh gets sacked, efc needs care taker while they go thru a rigorous process to find our next coach.

In steps J Hird to caretake temporarily.. ess win a few games, Hird slips seemlessly back into afl circles with no backlash.. Ess appoint Hird Ole Gunnar style after rigerous process.

Welcome back Jim.

1557745914522.png

Fantasies aside, it would be interesting to see who would step as in caretaker for the remainder of 2019 if Worsfold was given the heave ho.

Harvey? I suppose he'd make the most sense on first inspection, what with having senior experience and all, can't say it would excite me much though in all honesty.

I have a feeling Kelly will be a senior coach somewhere one day, it might be a bit soon to plump in him with a senior gig now though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Rutten, kicked a goal with his first 3 kicks in the AFL, and one with his last kick. Should draft him in the mid-season draft IMHO. Club could use his accuracy tbh....

Contrast the images from last round of Woosha in the box swallowing back bile to those of Clarkson on the bench talking, instructing, egging on his players. One has changed & moved with the times, the other...

once upon a time there was AFL/VFL.....covered on sunday nights (PM)..by Drew Morphett
this was when Windy Hill....Princess Park....Victoria Park....Waverley..etc
these guys (Lou Richards)...said and told you straight....now days we have pony tails boys who can not even kick the ball...if the can they dont no what to do with it next........

I have no idea.......what you are trying to say.....about John Worsfold? Why....are we talking....about Drew Morphett (rip)??

so where do we stand (pardon the pun) on coaches in the box vs on the bench?

again it would seem the forward thinkers have stolen a march on the ones mired in tradition.

im so used to seeing soccer coaches on the sidelines pacing, bellowing instruction that it seems like the only way.

in this day and age, what do you think the actual job of the head coach is on match day? if you were to split it in pie form.. the line coaches obviously take care of most of the match day stuff, of course the head coach has final call, you'd guess.. but id imagine on match day player motivation would/should take a fair chunk of their skill and expertise.

So whats old mate dong up in the box? No runners makes it even more imperative to get the messages across with zero barriers

Sure have eyes up in the box, direct into the coach's headset on the bench, relaying stats and trends as well.. opposition movements...

Should the coach be on the bench motivating, teaching... coaching the troops?

unless.. the players don't want him down there? :p

even more reason to get a coach down there to give them a rocket.

so where do we stand (pardon the pun) on coaches in the box vs on the bench?

again it would seem the forward thinkers have stolen a march on the ones mired in tradition.

im so used to seeing soccer coaches on the sidelines pacing, bellowing instruction that it seems like the only way.

in this day and age, what do you think the actual job of the head coach is on match day? if you were to split it in pie form.. the line coaches obviously take care of most of the match day stuff, of course the head coach has final call, you'd guess.. but id imagine on match day player motivation would/should take a fair chunk of their skill and expertise.

So whats old mate dong up in the box? No runners makes it even more imperative to get the messages across with zero barriers

Sure have eyes up in the box, direct into the coach's headset on the bench, relaying stats and trends as well.. opposition movements...

Should the coach be on the bench motivating, teaching... coaching the troops?

unless.. the players don't want him down there? :p

even more reason to get a coach down there to give them a rocket.

Positives and minuses on everything. If you're up in the box you get a birds eye view on positioning plus you are able to manage line coaches for best possible solution eg Rutten what do you think we should do, Harvey what do you think. Ok I've listened to both and We're going to do this? (If that makes sense).

If your down on ground and getting clearer communication to players are you getting that variety of creative ideas from line coaches? Or has that been preagreed upon by boys upstairs and your only receiving 1 message. You also can't make a well informed opinion yourself on positioning.

Positives and minuses on everything. If you're up in the box you get a birds eye view on positioning plus you are able to manage line coaches for best possible solution eg Rutten what do you think we should do, Harvey what do you think. Ok I've listened to both and We're going to do this? (If that makes sense).

If your down on ground and getting clearer communication to players are you getting that variety of creative ideas from line coaches? Or has that been preagreed upon by boys upstairs and your only receiving 1 message. You also can't make a well informed opinion yourself on positioning.

be interesting to see how it all evolves over time

I do notice our bench players just sitting there all slack jawed - the hawks and others have a coach in there ear, wonder how much is help and how much is just annoyance when you need a rest?

be interesting to see how it all evolves over time

I do notice our bench players just sitting there all slack jawed - the hawks and others have a coach in there ear, wonder how much is help and how much is just annoyance when you need a rest?
You see our bench all the time?

The assistants can say just as much as John could on the bench.

I only saw a snippet on social media that was Darcy saying “are you surprised by the amount of bile and negativity directed at you? I’ve never seen anything like it”

What? You’ve never seen anything like it? Speaking only of Essendon, the other three senior coaches we’ve had in my lifetime have copped more.

Christ Darcy is a muppet.

His play by play calling is by far the worst on TV. It's not even close between him and second. You may not like BT or Basil, or anyone else in the box. But having to hear Darcy pause mid-sentence on every single call (to the point where the noise of the cogs clicking over his audible on TV) only to pump out the same handful of cliche phrases like string pulled toy is the worst experience in football.

Phrase

Talking Notes

He is a genuine star Player Y

Player doesn't have to be a genuine star

Love the way he goes about it

Is yet to not love the way a player goes about it

He could be anything

Player has probably been on AFL list ~5 years, doesn't matter

Player X kicks looooooooooooooooooooooooong

This is his most accurate call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back