Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

His play by play calling is by far the worst on TV. It's not even close between him and second. You may not like BT or Basil, or anyone else in the box. But having to hear Darcy pause mid-sentence on every single call (to the point where the noise of the cogs clicking over his audible on TV) only to pump out the same handful of cliche phrases like string pulled toy is the worst experience in football.

Phrase

Talking Notes

He is a genuine star Player Y

Player doesn't have to be a genuine star

Love the way he goes about it

Is yet to not love the way a player goes about it

He could be anything

Player has probably been on AFL list ~5 years, doesn't matter

Player X kicks looooooooooooooooooooooooong

This is his most accurate call

ads an ey to the end of one syllable player names to sound matey and blokey..

particularly jakey

Aufkleber_Trollface.jpg

Not sure our problems are from coaching. It is our conversion rate per inside 50 and turnovers that are the bigger issue. I am sure the coaches are not telling players to just bomb it in long and/or kick to opposition (turnover). Sure, injuries are an issue, but take the Geelong game for example, we had more than double inside 50s in the first quarter but kept missing. Cats take it in a 6 times for 5 goals. Same against Sydney, last quarter we smashed them for inside 50s only for it to be rebounded or a behind. This kills any momentum and provides nil scoreboard pressure.

Heppell said as much post Syd game, pity he was the main offender bombing it long.

We are stagnant in the forward line. That is where Brown was great.

Daniher back will hopefully help.

I don't care if he wins us a premiership this year, I would want him gone for the next year because I believe with him as coach our list will always be under preforming, and someone with a better game style would be able to do better regardless.

Not sure our problems are from coaching. It is our conversion rate per inside 50 and turnovers that are the bigger issue. I am sure the coaches are not telling players to just bomb it in long and/or kick to opposition (turnover). Sure, injuries are an issue, but take the Geelong game for example, we had more than double inside 50s in the first quarter but kept missing. Cats take it in a 6 times for 5 goals. Same against Sydney, last quarter we smashed them for inside 50s only for it to be rebounded or a behind. This kills any momentum and provides nil scoreboard pressure.

Heppell said as much post Syd game, pity he was the main offender bombing it long.

Disagree. Conversion rate is poor because our players don't practice enough.
Players have bombed long into forward line because of coaching instruction, we've been doing it since Hird tenure. If players were doing this against coaching instructions they'd be dropped wouldn't they?
Turn overs are coming from chewing off more than they can bite, whilst it can be exciting if it works percentages say more often than not it won't. It's like hitting sixes off every ball in 20/20 to score over 200+
These high percentage kicks are encouraged by the coach staff.

I don't care if he wins us a premiership this year, I would want him gone for the next year because I believe with him as coach our list will always be under preforming, and someone with a better game style would be able to do better regardless.

What if we win the next 2 flags?

isn't it the very definition of poor coaching?

if you coach your players to play a certain system, or perform in a certain way and they are unable to excecute said skill or plan - who's fault is that?

its either poor coaching... or they don't want to play for you, for whatever reason

Last edited:

We’re underperforming if we win a flag?

Tough crowd.

Last edited:

Winning a flag or two is not under performing.

Literally.

What is your idea of 'performing?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you coach your players to play a certain system, or perform in a certain way and they are unable to excecute said skill or plan - who's fault is that?

its either poor coaching... or they don't want to play for you, for whatever reason
I would say poor execution more likely. No way coaches are saying "just bomb it in long"

He’s so overtly amiable I think it’s costing him.

There are coaches out there that only have jobs because they’ve spent years ramming excuses down the throat of the media to solidify their position.

Meanwhile Worsfold is sort of just inviting pressure by being such a straight arrow.

Underperfoming while winning a flag is quite an impressive feat. I'd hate to see what your criteria is for 'performing at expect rate' in that situation, let alone 'performing above expectation'!

At the moment it's our forward group that are the issue. We are bombing it because we have no movement and no connection.

Stringer wants it out the back, Joe will lead but then Walla leads into his space. Then Joe gets tired and starts flopping about.

There is a reason Mitch brown and Raz out has hurt us so badly. Mitch is our hardest working forward and link up man. Gets to dangerous spots and makes his player defend him isntwad of sagging off. Remember he is the player that was responsible for tearing Jeremy McGovern to pieces when we jumped west coast over there last year.
He couldnt have less athletic looks but he alongside Raz is our forward with the best forward IQ.

Raz is similar. He changes lanes when he is in the midfield and makes it easier for the forward by kicking it to where he wants them, and when he is down there he leads strong and demands the ball.

Pull those two out of the forwardline and it becomes so stagnant.

We have had this issue for years not through head coaching but through lack of continuity and proper forward craft.

Underperfoming while winning a flag is quite an impressive feat. I'd hate to see what your criteria is for 'performing at expect rate' in that situation, let alone 'performing above expectation'!

So if the free kick had of been paid against Rampe on Friday night, and we had of won, you would of said we didn't under preform? You don't think we could of played any better?

So if the free kick had of been paid against Rampe on Friday night, and we had of won, you would of said we didn't under preform? You don't think we could of played any better?

100% of people on here have so far acknowledged we could have played better regardless of the Rampe crap.

If we win a flag, 100% of people will not say it.

I agree that it is 100% how we kick the ball into our forward 50. I don't think that is all on the forwards. It is also on the mids and half-backs. It is a team strategy of how we move forward. Stringer is quick for a bigish man, Tippa and Fanta are quick. They should be spreading the defense and providing options a plenty. However, there has to be a genuine looking for that and consistent hitting of the target as well.

Our team defensive structure was a complete joke in the first few rounds. That was cleaned up by Anzac day. In fact the way we could lock it in the forward 50 for most of the game was pretty good. Our ability to defend their transition got better as the game went on.

A player like Brown is needed. However, I believe properly developed Stewart was/is that man. Trying to turn him into a beefcake for 2018 was a disaster. In my opinion, he was our barometer in 2017. When he was getting a lot of it, we were moving the ball quickly. We also had Hooker deep forward to hold one KPD deep to give Daniher more space. Having Stewart as a power forward stuffed that all up.

Our coaching staff lack imagination, and have misused a few of our players based on how tall they are. If we can trust Ambrose and Hurley to lock down on two tall forwards we can play Francis as 3rd tall/interceptor and one of Ridley/Redman/Gleeson as the 4th defender, while the other plays a defensive role from the wing. This defensive role can be part of hanging back when the ball is inside our 50, guarding opposition transition and dropping back to fill in a hole of their defensive 50. We then have spots for 2 quick small defenders, of which we have two very good ones.

That will allow us to play Hooker as a deep marking forward with Daniher as an old fashioned CHF and a running link up player like Stewart or Brown. The link up player draws their third tall up the ground, Hooker holds their strongest guy back and Daniher gets more 1v1 40-70m from goal. We play 2 genuine smalls. Tippa's job will be easier for him if it is "the pressure forward". That will take the pressure off him regards goals kicked. He can just hunt the ball and the man with it. If goals come, fantastic. Fantasia is capable of carrying the pressure of his scoring justifying his selection. Stringer should be predominately forward, but still considered part of the midfield rotation. We need at least 30% of his time on the field in the midfield to justify his trade. It also means that Smith rotates through the forward line as a pressure forward.

Those three KPPs up forward mean we can play fast or kick down the line to 3 different lines.

Once McKernan is back, he can play deep forward and Hooker can go back to defence.

Our forward movement needs to be Steward, then Daniher, then Fantasia spreading the defence. Those targets need to be hit. Only if we move the ball that quickly and spread the defence does a long kick towards Hooker or McKernan, with Tippa at their feet, make any sense at all.

I agree that it is 100% how we kick the ball into our forward 50. I don't think that is all on the forwards. It is also on the mids and half-backs. It is a team strategy of how we move forward. Stringer is quick for a bigish man, Tippa and Fanta are quick. They should be spreading the defense and providing options a plenty. However, there has to be a genuine looking for that and consistent hitting of the target as well.

Our team defensive structure was a complete joke in the first few rounds. That was cleaned up by Anzac day. In fact the way we could lock it in the forward 50 for most of the game was pretty good. Our ability to defend their transition got better as the game went on.

A player like Brown is needed. However, I believe properly developed Stewart was/is that man. Trying to turn him into a beefcake for 2018 was a disaster. In my opinion, he was our barometer in 2017. When he was getting a lot of it, we were moving the ball quickly. We also had Hooker deep forward to hold one KPD deep to give Daniher more space. Having Stewart as a power forward stuffed that all up.

Our coaching staff lack imagination, and have misused a few of our players based on how tall they are. If we can trust Ambrose and Hurley to lock down on two tall forwards we can play Francis as 3rd tall/interceptor and one of Ridley/Redman/Gleeson as the 4th defender, while the other plays a defensive role from the wing. This defensive role can be part of hanging back when the ball is inside our 50, guarding opposition transition and dropping back to fill in a hole of their defensive 50. We then have spots for 2 quick small defenders, of which we have two very good ones.

That will allow us to play Hooker as a deep marking forward with Daniher as an old fashioned CHF and a running link up player like Stewart or Brown. The link up player draws their third tall up the ground, Hooker holds their strongest guy back and Daniher gets more 1v1 40-70m from goal. We play 2 genuine smalls. Tippa's job will be easier for him if it is "the pressure forward". That will take the pressure off him regards goals kicked. He can just hunt the ball and the man with it. If goals come, fantastic. Fantasia is capable of carrying the pressure of his scoring justifying his selection. Stringer should be predominately forward, but still considered part of the midfield rotation. We need at least 30% of his time on the field in the midfield to justify his trade. It also means that Smith rotates through the forward line as a pressure forward.

Those three KPPs up forward mean we can play fast or kick down the line to 3 different lines.

Once McKernan is back, he can play deep forward and Hooker can go back to defence.

Our forward movement needs to be Steward, then Daniher, then Fantasia spreading the defence. Those targets need to be hit. Only if we move the ball that quickly and spread the defence does a long kick towards Hooker or McKernan, with Tippa at their feet, make any sense at all.
I'll be shouted down/ignored for saying it, but the Stringer selection is one that continues to vex me. Even though individually he is playing very well, the impact on the way the forwardline operates with him in it is still questionable.

I believe his strengths are more suited to an early 00s style of forward than that of our current era.

I think it's hard to apply 100% blame to one or the other, in fact I think it's disingenuous to portion 70% of the blame either way. For me it's partially delivery and partially movement, more movement than delivery in fact.

I think it's hard to apply 100% blame to one or the other, in fact I think it's disingenuous to portion 70% of the blame either way. For me it's partially delivery and partially movement, more movement than delivery in fact.
Take Langford for example. When our forward line movement was good late last year he did not look slow and was pinpointing passes to players in our forward 50. Against Geelong a couple of weeks ago he was one of the few who tried to refuse to bomb it and wait for movement and a decent option to present and inevitably looked slow. It was clear as day to me watching why he looked slow. Our movement is absolutely s**t without Raz and Brown. Brown is not really the complete answer for us either as we need a bail out option but he creates movement and a lead up option forward and through the middle.

I would put large money on Langford looking good with the ball again when our movement up field is halfway decent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back