Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's hard to apply 100% blame to one or the other, in fact I think it's disingenuous to portion 70% of the blame either way. For me it's partially delivery and partially movement, more movement than delivery in fact.

The forward movement is both the fowards and how others kick to them.

You guys are way too easy on the players.

I'm very wary of sacking Woosha because it will give our players another "adjustment" get out clause.

We'll throw another season away "adjusting" to the new game plan.

It's really a dilemma because whilst I have my reservations about Woosha's ability to inspire players, the players are not executing basic AFL skills. I don't think that has to do with Woosha's coaching. Well not entirely anyway.

Woosha is not the best match day coach, but I'd look at getting a brilliant tactician in the coaches box.

Can you feel it?

It's happening...the world's are aligning..

Woosh gets sacked, efc needs care taker while they go thru a rigorous process to find our next coach.

In steps J Hird to caretake temporarily.. ess win a few games, Hird slips seemlessly back into afl circles with no backlash.. Ess appoint Hird Ole Gunnar style after rigerous process.

Welcome back Jim.
You have to be joking that even in your world of fantasy that you would want Hird as coach? He was a major part of completely ******* up the club.

so where do we stand (pardon the pun) on coaches in the box vs on the bench?

again it would seem the forward thinkers have stolen a march on the ones mired in tradition.

im so used to seeing soccer coaches on the sidelines pacing, bellowing instruction that it seems like the only way.

in this day and age, what do you think the actual job of the head coach is on match day? if you were to split it in pie form.. the line coaches obviously take care of most of the match day stuff, of course the head coach has final call, you'd guess.. but id imagine on match day player motivation would/should take a fair chunk of their skill and expertise.

So whats old mate dong up in the box? No runners makes it even more imperative to get the messages across with zero barriers

Sure have eyes up in the box, direct into the coach's headset on the bench, relaying stats and trends as well.. opposition movements...

Should the coach be on the bench motivating, teaching... coaching the troops?

unless.. the players don't want him down there? :p

even more reason to get a coach down there to give them a rocket.

Not much point being on the sidelines telling the players to stand for something.

I must say I do feel like the coverage against us in the media has been harsh. We should've had the 4 points vs Collingwood and Sydney making us 5-3 and inside the top 8 with two of those losses to top 4 sides. This would've been achieved despite numerous injuries to our forward line throughout 2019. Yeh you can claim we should've beaten 18th regardless but sometimes you've got to win ugly espicially when your KPF is Zac Clarke.

Instead we are a tease, a failure and destined to miss the 8. I hope we can get last year's form back ASAP and prove the haters wrong.

I must say I do feel like the coverage against us in the media has been harsh. We should've had the 4 points vs Collingwood and Sydney making us 5-3 and inside the top 8 with two of those losses to top 4 sides. This would've been achieved despite numerous injuries to our forward line throughout 2019. Yeh you can claim we should've beaten 18th regardless but sometimes you've got to win ugly espicially when your KPF is Zac Clarke.

Instead we are a tease, a failure and destined to miss the 8. I hope we can get last year's form back ASAP and prove the haters wrong.

Should have, didnt

At the end of the day it’s wins and losses. Nothing else. We simply need to get the job done without excuses.

We should not have let Collingwood get to a 33 point lead.
We should not have even let Sydney into the game.

We cannot keep putting ourselves in the position to let umpiring dictate the result.

Instead of build a bear, we need build a coach with traits of any coach, from all time:

In my opinion, mine would have;

- The aggression of Dean Laidley. Put fear into some of the North and Collingwood kids during his time as senior and assistant coach.
- The tactical ability of Denis Pagan. Adapted game plans to win 3rds, 2nds and 1sts premierships in the best comp.
- The education ability of Leigh Matthews. He took two clubs to the promised land that shouldn't have come close with the lists they started with.
- The respect of Allan Jeans. Every Hawthorn player would bleed dry for the guy.
- The leadership of Ted Whitten. Leading by example as a player and a coach.

I know there's no such a candidate in the market currently, nor even probably in the current coaching ranks that we could poach.

I said earlier in the year that it seems Woosha has disconnected from the troops, where I don't see any of the above attributes coming out in interviews, in the video from the box during the game, nor in the pressers after losses. We all saw that from JLT 1 that there was no spark. This is more than just form, structures, injuries and a total 180 from the last 10 rounds of 2018. Players are not performing to their best and I feel it's because of the lack of direction from the top.

John. Give us something. Anything of the above would be more than what we're seeing right now. Otherwise I'd favour the board to make a coaching change at the bye, to see if selection, education and a new voice would shake the place up a bit. 6 Months under Rutten gives him a chance to test himself with no pressure. It puts us out in the spotlight early to show the Clarksons, Hardwicks and others that we're in the market.

I would never have expected to be saying that after 8 rounds of a season that a change like this should be made. But, in all honesty, the position we're in has been 2 years in the making and I think it's time to make the hard call.

Should have, didnt

At the end of the day it’s wins and losses. Nothing else. We simply need to get the job done without excuses.

We should not have let Collingwood get to a 33 point lead.
We should not have even let Sydney into the game.

We cannot keep putting ourselves in the position to let umpiring dictate the result.

Show me one premiership or even top 4 side in the last decade that hasn't had games close enough to be decided by umpires. You can't expect to win every game by 5 goals just as a umpire error buffer. Collingwood would've lost to Carlton on the weekend without another good run of the green (25-8 frees to them, with many Carlton frees not paid during the last 5min) but no one is going on about how bad they looked because they won.

If they lose to us and the Carlton with fair umpiring they sit 9th at 4-3. Instead they sit second with everyone saying they "deserved" wins that were handed to them by poor umpiring.

Literally they are us but have had umpiring go their way.

Instead of build a bear, we need build a coach with traits of any coach, from all time:

In my opinion, mine would have;

- The aggression of Dean Laidley. Put fear into some of the North and Collingwood kids during his time as senior and assistant coach.
- The tactical ability of Denis Pagan. Adapted game plans to win 3rds, 2nds and 1sts premierships in the best comp.
- The education ability of Leigh Matthews. He took two clubs to the promised land that shouldn't have come close with the lists they started with.
- The respect of Allan Jeans. Every Hawthorn player would bleed dry for the guy.
- The leadership of Ted Whitten. Leading by example as a player and a coach.

I know there's no such a candidate in the market currently, nor even probably in the current coaching ranks that we could poach.

I said earlier in the year that it seems Woosha has disconnected from the troops, where I don't see any of the above attributes coming out in interviews, in the video from the box during the game, nor in the pressers after losses. We all saw that from JLT 1 that there was no spark. This is more than just form, structures, injuries and a total 180 from the last 10 rounds of 2018. Players are not performing to their best and I feel it's because of the lack of direction from the top.

John. Give us something. Anything of the above would be more than what we're seeing right now. Otherwise I'd favour the board to make a coaching change at the bye, to see if selection, education and a new voice would shake the place up a bit. 6 Months under Rutten gives him a chance to test himself with no pressure. It puts us out in the spotlight early to show the Clarksons, Hardwicks and others that we're in the market.

I would never have expected to be saying that after 8 rounds of a season that a change like this should be made. But, in all honesty, the position we're in has been 2 years in the making and I think it's time to make the hard call.
.......and the marketability of Kevin Sheedy 😉

Show me one premiership or even top 4 side in the last decade that hasn't had games close enough to be decided by umpires. You can't expect to win every game by 5 goals just as a umpire error buffer. Collingwood would've lost to Carlton on the weekend without another good run of the green (25-8 frees to them, with many Carlton frees not paid during the last 5min) but no one is going on about how bad they looked because they won.

If they lose to us and the Carlton with fair umpiring they sit 9th at 4-3. Instead they sit second with everyone saying they "deserved" wins that were handed to them by poor umpiring.

Literally they are us but have had umpiring go their way.

If this isn't sarcasm, this is the most one-eyed nonsense I've ever read on BF - and that's truly saying something.

You think Collingwood are 2nd and we're 13th, due purely and simply to umpiring?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this isn't sarcasm, this is the most one-eyed nonsense I've ever read on BF - and that's truly saying something.

You think Collingwood are 2nd and we're 13th, due purely and simply to umpiring?

I don't think its "purely and simply" due to umpiring - they are obviously a good team that put themselves in positions to win games. But from what I've observed this year if the games mentioned were umpired fairly/consistently then the results would've gone as follows:
  1. We should've had the win against Sydney and Collingwood
  2. They should've had losses against Carlton and us
Do you think football games are purely decided by the two teams playing and that umpiring has/can have no impact on close games?

I'll be shouted down/ignored for saying it, but the Stringer selection is one that continues to vex me. Even though individually he is playing very well, the impact on the way the forwardline operates with him in it is still questionable.

I believe his strengths are more suited to an early 00s style of forward than that of our current era.
I tend to agree. He's really trying and playing well but I don't think it has improved our forwardline at all.

Long-term I'm hoping that he will spend more and more time in the midfield where he, team balance wise, would address a need. We don't have any other player on the list (aside from potentially Laverde or Begley) who can impact a stoppage in the way he does when he has his cameos in there.

I don't think its "purely and simply" due to umpiring - they are obviously a good team that put themselves in positions to win games. But from what I've observed this year if the games mentioned were umpired fairly/consistently then the results would've gone as follows:
  1. We should've had the win against Sydney and Collingwood
  2. They should've had losses against Carlton and us
Do you think football games are purely decided by the two teams playing and that umpiring has/can have no impact on close games?

So you think we should be above Collingwood on the ladder and that the umpiring is what’s standing in the way of that?

I'll be shouted down/ignored for saying it, but the Stringer selection is one that continues to vex me. Even though individually he is playing very well, the impact on the way the forwardline operates with him in it is still questionable.

I believe his strengths are more suited to an early 00s style of forward than that of our current era.
I think he just needs help. Someone, Mitch Brown, creating space.

2020 - Daniher, Brown, Stringer, Smith, Walla and Fantasia would be top 4 forward line in the league.

He’s a medium sized forward playing the role of a key position forward.

Can you imagine some of the crazy stuff Sheeds would of tried with this list of talent finding the best out of each player :).

Annnd I'm damn sure there wouldn't be any stinking effort problem like we have now with the figjam problem thats crept in.

We are caught in a very strange cycle with Worsfold (especially on gameday) where we are rudderless if pressured in our clear pressure points but our talent kind of floats us, yet also potent if we bring effort, instead of having to cojure it up after it's too late which is probably the holy grail of football frustration.

We have a coaching problem plain and simple for the team to be so vulnerable mentally and up and down on effort.
Might be time for Woosha to unleash fury.
Those who don't like it can leave.
Time for a hard edge!
Who wants in!?
Go hard or go home!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back