Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough but you could accuse most teams of doing same things week to week. For example Saints against us their defenders were standing off our players and sticking to guarding a zone and worked well in first half until we got smarter.

Again couple of decisions go our way and we’re 6-3 and no discussion required.

Last we go 10-4, yes we lost against top 4 but we were without Daniher and Fantasia at times.
And who have we lost to this year ?
GWS away. Third.
St.Kilda 5-5 better side than last year. Should have won but not as poor with them being better.
Collingwood . Second.
Geelong . First.
Sydney. Should have won.
Richmond . Fourth.
So we have lost to the top 4 sides. A middle of the r

GWS away. Third.
St.Kilda 5-5 better side than last year. Should have won but not as poor with them being better.
Collingwood . Second.
Geelong . First.
Sydney. Should have won.
Richmond . Fourth.
Richmond were probably ripe, but we evened up on injuries and the conditions are our kryptonite.

Sydney was the test, and we failed it.
Gotta smash the blues.

Rumours have circulated for a while that Woosha is getting undermined by others within the club.l (ie assistant coaches). If we lose this weekend and/or Woosha gets sacked...I will demand the entire coaching group gets the sack. This is the type of situation Xavier Campbell is there to straighten out. If not then it’s time for him to look elsewhere.

I personally think we should back the club in. Hold fire until years end.

If that’s the case I say sack all of the coaches bar Woosha and Rutten. It’s time for some new faces in there as well

Unpopular opinion - i think sacking woosha at any point this year is a classic knee-jerk reaction form a wanna-be contender.

Woosha isnt an idiot. Most of us here at Bigfooty can tell we dont have a plan B other than run and gun. Do you honestly think a panel of 10+ coaches and staff havent had it cross their mind too? Or even tried to implement it?
It obviously isnt getting through to the players (both a messaging problem from coaches and a learning problem from the players) to this point. But why sack the guy now, when he is missing his two best goalkickers for a good part of 18 months combined (Fanta and Joe) and now his reigning b&f winner and best forward this year in Stringer. And even if they do move him on - if the players arent listening to Woosha preach systems now, why are they any more likely to listen to the next guy?

I would at least see out 2019 and then see what the market is like. Sacking him now without clear candidates as a better alternative is silly

I may be in the minority, but i think an mini overhaul of players (re Port Adelaide this year) will be more effective. Zaharakis (Essendons last 10 years personified) would have some market value at least and be top of my list.
Bring in youth or role players from a successful system (i.e akin to Sam Lloyd to Bulldogs, Horlin-smith at GCS) who are willing to do exactly what the coaches ask without question.

It's been a bad year. I'm as disappointed as all of you.

Woosha steered us through a terrible time. Give him one more year to see if he can get the club firing. Re-evaluate next season.
If he sticks around another year and we serve up this same rubbish then we will be rebuilding from 2021-2025. Cut him loose now and guys like Hooker and Hurley at least have a chance to play and/or win a final.

We also went all or nothing with Stringer and Shiel and if he’s not going to make the most of it then it’s been a complete waste.

GWS away. Third.
Collingwood . Second.
Geelong . First.
Sydney. Should have won.
Richmond . Fourth.

i like the cup half full approach. However at an absolute minimum out of those teams we should be beating St Kilda & Sydney. We should not be here saying shoulda coulda woulda - both should have been beaten comfortably.

Fact is we didn't get the job done.

I don't personally care how close we got, i'm absolutely sick of sitting here retrospectively year after year after year saying that we shoulda done this and do that.

Just win the ******* game! I want results. 15 years is way too long too be waiting for a finals win. The continual request for patience from the club is giving me the utter shits.

Giving away first round picks to bring in star players then asking for patience is just a shithouse attitude.

I'm watching the Freo game again (after watching vs Richmond) I know it's only snippets you see of Worsfold coaching from the boundary line. But I have not yet seen him talking to a player. I thought the whole point of being there was to give personal instruction (not sit there with headphones on).

I'm watching the Freo game again (after watching vs Richmond) I know it's only snippets you see of Worsfold coaching from the boundary line. But I have not yet seen him talking to a player. I thought the whole point of being there was to give personal instruction (not sit there with headphones on).
I’ve seen him on a few occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of you blokes spend way too much spare time gibbering on with far flung conspiracy theories on why this team is so inconsistent with its form.

Sacking Worsfold is insanity. As much as his low key tone approach is giving me the shits every time he addresses the media, we all know he’s not the problem to focus on.

The real focus is on a key group of spuddly senior hacks continually playing marshmallow footy.

And without joe as a key in form tall forward we have big big problems in our forward structure.

A few years ago WC fans were screaming to sack their current coach.

Too laid back they cried!

It’s the players that drive the game day intensity.

We lack grit and toughness.

It’s plain to see.

Herald Sun speculating bs that we should chase down Ross Lyon if he wanted to come back to Vic. Honestly, think I'd prefer to keep Woosh if it were between the two of them.

Lyon is where he belongs and is the perfect fit for freo with their insular club culture that he rules over like a feudal lord. Tucked away in the back blocks of nowhere away from the rabid AFL media, he bats off the Perth media with effortless ease and does things his way...for a huge salary.

No way he would give all that up to start again with a Melbourne club.

Tomorrow’ fish and chip paper and all that..speculative bull crap.

Would prefer Harvs.

Wouldnt sugar coat and and would know who to chop and trade and who is worth persisting.

Might insert a bit more aggression and intensity and could easily bring a few of the soft***** down to size and how to play as a team and leaders who lead and not follow or go missing.

To be Honest, I couldn't give a stuff who is the new coach if EFC arrive at that stage - There are no guarantees how successful a coach will be - My only wish is the Board is not spooked by faceless coteries.

Would prefer Harvs.

Wouldnt sugar coat and and would know who to chop and trade and who is worth persisting.

Might insert a bit more aggression and intensity and could easily bring a few of the soft***** down to size and how to play as a team and leaders who lead and not follow or go missing.

errrr I respect Harvs as a junk yard assistant but even himself admits he couldn't cut the mustard as a senior coach.

Whilst i'm happy for a clean out of the coaching staff i'd be happy for club to keep Harvs is some capacity.

Some of you blokes spend way too much spare time gibbering on with far flung conspiracy theories on why this team is so inconsistent with its form.

Sacking Worsfold is insanity. As much as his low key tone approach is giving me the shits every time he addresses the media, we all know he’s not the problem to focus on.

The real focus is on a key group of spuddly senior hacks continually playing marshmallow footy.

And without joe as a key in form tall forward we have big big problems in our forward structure.

It’s plain to see.

I agree about the players but Worsfold is responsible for giving the players so much leash. Whilst the first 2 years he had his hands tied behind his back for obvious reasons I don't see players sprouting from underneath that play tough, hard aggressive footy which he and the recruiting staff have to take responsibility for.

He along with the selection panel also aren't making wholesale changes to the side week in week out to insert aggressive players or players that stand up in adversity, they aren't selecting the kids over veterans such as Myers, Baguley or even last year against port Leunberger over Draper.

Worsfold did a marvelous job as far as stabilisation for the club and providing hope. But its a bit like Barrassi to Swans, Roos to Dees, McCartney to Bulldogs. They've done their role and the club needs someone else to add the next layer towards continual success.

Richmond were probably ripe, but we evened up on injuries and the conditions are our kryptonite.

Sydney was the test, and we failed it.
Gotta smash the blues.
People have been saying the Tigers have been ripe for weeks buut they still keep winning. We will not beat them until we can play better structured footy across the whole side.

i like the cup half full approach. However at an absolute minimum out of those teams we should be beating St Kilda & Sydney. We should not be here saying shoulda coulda woulda - both should have been beaten comfortably.

Fact is we didn't get the job done.

I don't personally care how close we got, i'm absolutely sick of sitting here retrospectively year after year after year saying that we shoulda done this and do that.

Just win the ******* game! I want results. 15 years is way too long too be waiting for a finals win. The continual request for patience from the club is giving me the utter shits.

Giving away first round picks to bring in star players then asking for patience is just a shithouse attitude.

Did i not post should have won against both those sides ?

Asking for patience is reasonable if you can see the deficiency in the side. Only those with bloated views of where the side is at get the shits. Bringing in 4 really good players does not automatically make us top 4 when we have been a side that has little team defence in our DNA. It is rebuilding. Under their current coaches both Richmond and Collingwood went through 4 or 5 seasons to get towhere they are at now. Why are we expected to do so in 3 , notcounting the first year?
This is actually the first year we have had 8a seriouscoach to teach the team defence.

Asfor waitng 15 years for results, well the club sort of ****ed that up by making a rash decison and allowing us to be Danked. Cannot blame the current coach for that. Before that they ****ed things up by not having any senior support around Knights as a first time coach.

It’s plain to see.
On top of that Tiger fans wanted Dimma out and Pies fans cried for 3 seasons tosack Bucks.

Did i not post should have won against both those sides ?

Asking for patience is reasonable if you can see the deficiency in the side. Only those with bloated views of where the side is at get the shits. Bringing in 4 really good players does not automatically make us top 4 when we have been a side that has little team defence in our DNA. It is rebuilding. Under their current coaches both Richmond and Collingwood went through 4 or 5 seasons to get towhere they are at now. Why are we expected to do so in 3 , notcounting the first year?
This is actually the first year we have had 8a seriouscoach to teach the team defence.

Asfor waitng 15 years for results, well the club sort of ****** that up by making a rash decison and allowing us to be Danked. Cannot blame the current coach for that. Before that they ****** things up by not having any senior support around Knights as a first time coach.
If people could see gradual improvement in addressing the deficiencies, then maybe you'd get some patience. Do you see gradual improvement, or just more of the same served up each week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back