Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Thought it was spot on. The best sides have the most players who will play a role and then some A grade players who can carry you over the line.

Agreed. The best sides have a “system” (both offensive and defensive) that works for them, to the extent that having certain players out doesn’t really affect them.
For us, if we’re missing say Fantasia and stringer, we basically know going into the game that we will struggle to create a lot of scoring opportunities.

Dylan sounds like he has quite a smart head on his shoulders.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Ross Lyon is committed to Fremantle.

What do you think a new coach will achieve at Essendon? What are your expectations?

Top 4 finish and a finals win or two or flag.

The list has too much talent to be middle of the table i fear we will be wasting the talent.

We are about 3-4 years away from a rebuild. Guys like Hooker,Hurley,Heppel,Smith,Zaka won't see success if we don't get a wriggle on

Top 4 finish and a finals win or two.

The list has too much talent to be middle of the table i fear we will be wasting the talent.

2 years have already been wasted and we are about 2-3 years away from a rebuild.
If top 4 is the goal then it might be doable. Countless teams have tried it though, and the only ones that were predictably successful had a great coach already and the new guy just inherited it, as with Roos and Longmire, Bomber and Chris Scott, and they got a flag out of that within a couple of years.

Clarkson got one himself after 3 years (appointed 2005, flag 2008), though I don't think anyone was expecting the Hawks to pinch one that year and they didn't really hit their stride for another few years after that.

The one that got a flag fast and didn't inherit a ready-made team from a genius is Luke Beveridge, he was appointed to the senior coaching job at the Western Bulldogs in 2015 and they got a flag in 2016.

So either we need to put someone like Harding, Rutten or Skipworth in the big chair and hope some sort of succession plan works with the promoted assistant of a premiership coach. Or we need a 7th place finish and sheer dumb luck, as Beveridge got.

I dunno that sounds pretty dicey to me. Are you a betting man?

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If top 4 is the goal then it might be doable. Countless teams have tried it though, and the only ones that were predictably successful had a great coach already and the new guy just inherited it, as with Roos and Longmire, Bomber and Chris Scott, and they got a flag out of that within a couple of years.

Clarkson got one himself after 3 years (appointed 2005, flag 2008), though I don't think anyone was expecting the Hawks to pinch one that year and they didn't really hit their stride for another few years after that.

The one that got a flag fast and didn't inherit a ready-made team from a genius is Luke Beveridge, he was appointed to the senior coaching job at the Western Bulldogs in 2015 and they got a flag in 2016.

So either we need to put someone like Harding, Rutten or Skipworth in the big chair and hope some sort of succession plan works with the promoted assistant of a premiership coach. Or we need a 7th place finish and sheer dumb luck, as Beveridge got.

I dunno that sounds pretty dicey to me. Are you a betting man?

No not really haha

Can someone please post Shiel article everyone’s talking about?
It’s the one on the club website about Shiel and club systems. It’s basically this;

May 8, 2018
Shanghai
AFL Club
Essendon
Read the Shiel article . It is not simply about bringing in players.

Also last year we won the same amount of games as 2017 but it was an odd year. 90% of the time 12 wins gets you in. On top of that in 2017 we had Daniher kicking 60 goals and Raz kicking 40. Stringer was ment tocome inand comliment them and not having to replace either as the main man. He was the bloke to allow Hooker to play back. We dot have the depth to cover 100 goals and Joes marking ability when he was at his best. We are not a side that can cover a number of injuries to key players. That is why we have traded for some.
This year we also have our best and fairest winner out now and not being close to his best. The whole KPF bunch injured at one stage and a few players like Walla and McKenna down on form. There are real reasons for where we are at now.
Personally I have said for a while That we are average and until some leaders change the way we play we will remain average.
Could you pls post the link to the Shiel article? Sounds like a good read but I couldn’t locate it...

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What’d you think of the Shiel article out of interest?
While it didn’t go into a lot of specifics, I agreed with most of it.

I might be reading too much into it but When he discusses systems over talent, I interpret that as a dig out our game plan and structures set by coaching staff.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Top 4 finish and a finals win or two or flag.

We are about 3-4 years away from a rebuild. Guys like Hooker,Hurley,Heppel,Smith,Zaka won't see success if we don't get a wriggle on
The train has left the station.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Would prefer Harvs.

Wouldnt sugar coat and and would know who to chop and trade and who is worth persisting.

Might insert a bit more aggression and intensity and could easily bring a few of the soft***** down to size and how to play as a team and leaders who lead and not follow or go missing.

* me dead no.

Harvey was horrible as a head coach and has done nothing to inspire me as an assistant.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Woosha would be hating this.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
People have been saying the Tigers have been ripe for weeks buut they still keep winning. We will not beat them until we can play better structured footy across the whole side.
More that injuries have weakened them to a point where they aren't the benchmark of the comp at the moment

Give us a fully fit daniher, Smith and raz, keep stringer and shiel fit and play indoors and we would have been a very good chance (and id mark the loss down as another balls up)

This time the conditions and injuries probably meant even if we had put together some semblance of effort and structure we were gonna be up against it winning

Back