Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone fill me in on what Matthew Lloyd/Llyod actually said about Worsfold and the subsequent so called 'right of reply?'

Not much in it. Lloyd claimed Essendon have underperformed for two years and should consider a new coach at the end of the year. Worsfold said Lloyd is entitled to his opinion.
Lloydy backed it up again last night saying he is still under pressure, and the next 3 games could decide his future.

Not much in it. Lloyd claimed Essendon have underperformed for two years and should consider a new coach at the end of the year. Worsfold said Lloyd is entitled to his opinion.
Lloydy backed it up again last night saying he is still under pressure, and the next 3 games could decide his future.

Thank you for that and absolutely he is.

Lose one, more pressure added no doubt.
Lose two, even more fuel to the fire.
Lose all three and he's done & dusted.

**** me Lloyd is a crap Essendon taking head. Trying so hard to be objective he stopped paying attention

But we have underperformed.

The club went and got Smith,Saad,Stringer,Shiel that's a club aiming to win finals/contend for a flag not miss the finals 2 years in a row

Last edited:
But we have underperformed.

The club went and got Smith,Saad,Stringer,Shiel that's a club aiming to win finals/contend for a flag not miss the finals 2 years in a row

Agree to an extent, but remember that they’re all in the 24-26 age bracket so were expecting to get another 5 good years plus from them.

I thought we did have the foresight to do this

Heppell = we have to be patient

got slammed all round.

Because it was in direct opposition to everything we’d seen at the end of last year. We beat everybody bar a few close run games against the top four last year and the fact we have lost all semblance of that form seemed ridiculous considering we strengthened our side in the offseason without losing anyone. It is still bizarre to me that we don’t possess even a small memory of the style of football we were playing.

We beat everybody bar a few close run games against the top four last year and the fact we have lost all semblance of that form

That's what I'm most disappointed about we were suppose to improve and carry that form into this year but instead we have gone backwards.

i reckon its not the next 3 games...

if he doesn't make finals at a minimum and he should be gone.

So Carlton have won 3 games since the start of last year.

When we had half of our club suspended, and were made to pluck blokes from retirement and local footy, on the eve of the season, we won 3 games in less time than it took Carlton with no adversity.

Hence why they probably feel the need to sack Bolton.

Woosha isn't great but he may be far from the worst!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or, more likely, Goddard was still a decent player whose lack of pace was nevertheless starting to become a liability. Some players are able to adapt to slowing down, not sure BJ was one of the great examples though.

BJ was finished up at the right time. If there's an example of a recent player who was wound up when he definitely could have gone on, it was Kelly.

Agree. Kelly could easily have done another year. The gap left by his absence was obvious. Until Redman starts getting time on ball I'm not sure any of defenders our roll through the middle. Saad's burst speed out of the middle could be interesting though.

I've softened a bit in my appraisal of John. Continued selection of Myers and Bags notwithstanding, his ambitions for the team have been stifled by injury and there is some evidence that Rutten's defensive work is starting to become effective. In that context it looks like the finals hype was cart before the horse stuff. I'm not sure making finals or not should be the defining criteria though, although the team being clearly unready for R1 was also a clear indictment. So much has been invested in his relationship with the team that I'd be tempted to survey the players about whether they believe in the preparation and coaching direction, and to go from there.

I agree mostly, but the one person we did lose from last year to now was BJ, who never took losing lying down and was prepared to ruffle feathers to keep people accountable. Maybe that’s why he was delisted - ie, unwanted by the feel-good, inclusive culture....

Ridley, Gleeson and Redman are the reasons we had to move Goddard on. A guy like that does not play 2s and nor should he.

The change always has to be forced. It was absolutely the right call. If the players become as satisfied with themselves as they do without the competition to keep them honest, there is little 1 player is going to be able to change.

There is a sound bite on SEN in which Sam McKuratz says Worsfold is coaching for his career.

There are many signs Worsfold believes this to be the case.

It's perfect for us. He can spend 2/3 of this season developing the list which should have been done long ago and then we can go out and find someone that doesnt need to waste 24 months trying to work out the strengths of the list and the way in which the game is being played in the current era.

What guarantees are there that we don't just revert to form over summer? It's happened twice now. To the extent that we change, it is abundantly clear to me that the change is simply a function of the growth of the list which he stifled.

Might as well add someone who can add a tactical side to the game to maximize the talent which is there.

The Hardwick and Buckley scenarios just prove that if you give someone long enough and tolerate enough mistakes lists end up being good enough. If anything they prove that the head coach is not that important.

I'm not paying $800k a year for "not that important" and "cant be bothered even being the figure head of the club".

There is a sound bite on SEN in which Sam McKuratz says Worsfold is coaching for his career.

There are many signs Worsfold believes this to be the case.

It's perfect for us. He can spend 2/3 of this season developing the list which should have been done long ago and then we can go out and find someone that doesnt need to waste 24 months trying to work out the strengths of the list and the way in which the game is being played in the current era.

What guarantees are there that we don't just revert to form over summer? It's happened twice now. To the extent that we change, it is abundantly clear to me that the change is simply a function of the growth of the list which he stifled.

Might as well add someone who can add a tactical side to the game to maximize the talent which is there.

The Hardwick and Buckley scenarios just prove that if you give someone long enough and tolerate enough mistakes lists end up being good enough. If anything they prove that the head coach is not that important.

I'm not paying $800k a year for "not that important" and "cant be bothered even being the figure head of the club".
BrunoV goes BANG! Take that Woosha!

So the current success rate of ‘replacement’ coaches in 2019 is 100%.
If that trend continues, we can move Woosh on now, get a replacement, win the next 11 on-the-trot and finish the season 16-6 with the double chance :thumbsu: GF here we come!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back