Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

The preseason will answer that, if they make an effort to change things on the training track then we can take it that the message from fans is getting through. I think the fans are more concerned with the performance of the players than the coaches.
Get rid of the players that aren’t up to standard. Better skilled players are needed along with a harder edge.

- New fitness and performance coach
- Blake Caracella
- New forwards coach
- New systems on the field

Conditioning coaches have failed miserably. Players that managed through last preseason should have gone under the knife. Hopefully all booked in for surgery soon so they can be ready for round 1.

If we don't turn up for round 1 next year I will be bitterly disappointed.

Woosha didn't have much to work with in the end. Glad he will see out contract.

I don't get the hate towards Worsfold.. He took over 3 years ago, with the club in a huge mess.

Year 1, most of the team was suspended and he goes 3-19. He should be commended for getting 3 wins.. with a team of 18 year olds and VFL players.

then.. 12-10, 12-10, 12-10.. twice making finals.

So taking out that first year, 2 of 3 years he has got them in the top 8 with a win loss record over 50% 3 years straight. This year in particular.. he did it with various star players missing all season. He's turned Shaun McKernan into a cult hero.. and got the best out of guys like Baguley, who's career was dead a few years ago.

Essendon's playing list is very mediocre. He doesn't have a powerhouse midfield to work with.. what do people expect from him? Bucks was under the same pressure a few years back.. as was Hardwick.. as was Bomber Thompson at Geelong before them.. the cycle continues of writing guys off before they have a chance. I think Essendon is doing the right thing keeping him. Would you rather have Ross Lyon?

I don't get the hate towards Worsfold.. He took over 3 years ago, with the club in a huge mess.

Year 1, most of the team was suspended and he goes 3-19. He should be commended for getting 3 wins.. with a team of 18 year olds and VFL players.

So taking out that first year, 2 of 3 years he has got them in the top 8 with a win loss record over 50% 3 years straight. This year in particular.. he did it with various star players missing all season. He's turned Shaun McKernan into a cult hero.. and got the best out of guys like Baguley, who's career was dead a few years ago.

Essendon's playing list is very mediocre. He doesn't have a powerhouse midfield to work with.. what do people expect from him? Bucks was under the same pressure a few years back.. as was Hardwick.. as was Bomber Thompson at Geelong before them.. the cycle continues of writing guys off before they have a chance. I think Essendon is doing the right thing keeping him. Would you rather have Ross Lyon?

People want progress.

People want progress.

Getting a new coach wouldn’t necessarily net us that elusive 13th win. It may even push us back if a new coach chooses to readjust stuff and we go a few steps back to go forward. Not saying that’s a bad thing, so you’re right.

We have one of, if not, the most impatient supporter groups in the league.

Getting a new coach wouldn’t necessarily net us that elusive 13th win. It may even push us back if a new coach chooses to readjust stuff and we go a few steps back to go forward. Not saying that’s a bad thing, so you’re right.

I don’t think there’s anything overly impatient about expecting some sort of improvement across two years when the club has openly stated that becoming a top 4 team is its aim.

No W/L improvement and the team still completely shitting the bed multiple times per season.

It’s right there are questions over the coach... that doesn’t mean you just sack him, but questioning him isn’t just impatience. It’s more than one bad season.

Makes perfect sense.

We've been building a game to win premierships, a final's brand if you like.

What is there not to like?

Gutless rubbish from a club that is too enamored with itself.

The hate isn't really directed at Woosha, most Essendon people see the list has one with issues which are not helped by a game style and questionable fitness levels.

I have no issues with woosha seeing out his contract IF it means we are grooming an assistant coach to take over from 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get the feeling it all blew up a year early. In the perfect world woosh held on a year and Caracella put the hand up to get the gig.

The spanner in the works was an early woosh exit, giving the gig to Rutten which potentially disgruntles Caracella who I assume has come over for the real job. I guess if it happens mid-year you can use a caretaker Rutten with no lock in, no such luck in a post season.

It’s funny how people tell us what to be satisfied with when their team makes grand finals.

We went backwards from 2017. 12-10 is nothing to commend. You don’t spend a ton of first round picks in trades to go backwards.

Last year, we started the season s**t and missed finals because of that.

The one thing he needed to do was get us ready for round one. We had most of our players. He didn’t. Nearly cost us finals again. Only reason it didn’t was because everyone else around us were s**t.

Ok we made it. The one thing we needed to do was remain competitive on Thursday. Again, another fail.

The biggest issue with Worsfold is that he genuinely believes this was a successful season. 12-10 with a % of 95 and another EF thrashing is apparently successful. No successful coach would ever say he was proud of yet another EF thrashing. Doesn’t set the right standard. Doesn’t challenge the players to improve.

He’s back again so he needs to pull his fingers out and set the right standard. Hopefully Rutten and Caracalla take care of gameplan.

It’s funny how people tell us what to be satisfied with when their team makes grand finals.

We went backwards from 2017. 12-10 is nothing to commend. You don’t spend a ton of first round picks in trades to go backwards.

The one thing he needed to do was get us ready for round one. We had most of our players. He didn’t. Nearly cost us finals again. Only reason it didn’t was because everyone else around us were s**t.

Ok we made it. The one thing we needed to do was remain competitive on Thursday. Again, another fail.

The biggest issue with Worsfold is that he genuinely believes this was a successful season. 12-10 with a % of 95 and another EF thrashing is apparently successful. No successful coach would ever say he was proud of yet another EF thrashing. Doesn’t set the right standard. Doesn’t challenge the players to improve.

He’s back again so he needs to pull his fingers out and set the right standard. Hopefully Rutten and Caracalla take care of gameplan.

thats a weird one - generally a game plan only changes with a regime

i cant recall a time a coach has drastically changed his teams game plan from year to year, maybe tweak, but not change. its like a dna thing.

with our run and gun sling game being so linked with our team and coach right now (because its so against the norm) any drastic change to it would immediatly have the media spys and footy world saying , woosh isnt coahing anymore, its one of the other boys. Cue the derailing media storm all year.

Id say you can look forward to another year of sling shot football now that john has been backed by the board.

I don’t think there’s anything overly impatient about expecting some sort of improvement across two years when the club has openly stated that becoming a top 4 team is its aim.

No W/L improvement and the team still completely s**tting the bed multiple times per season.

It’s right there are questions over the coach... that doesn’t mean you just sack him, but questioning him isn’t just impatience. It’s more than one bad season.

It’s more directed at those who want him SACKED ASAP, and those who are simply looking at the win/loss. Of course you question him, you question everything. But is there perhaps a reason supporter groups want the coach sacked a lot of the time? You can’t exactly sack a bunch of players who have been mediocre.

Was all of this woosh’s doing though? I mean it may be, I don’t know.

But what about the players? They’ve just played a season where they were unable to keep up until 3 rounds in and then limped to finals.

Was all of this woosh’s doing though? I mean it may be, I don’t know.

But what about the players? They’ve just played a season where they were unable to keep up until 3 rounds in and then limped to finals.
Our players are definitely responsible. No doubt. No one can only put this on Worsfold. The problem is, we see this as a failed season. We look for who is responsible. Do we internally see it as a failed season? Do our players? Does Worsfold? It doesn’t sound like it.

I was more inclined to look past Worsfold until he said things that concern me. There wasn’t a need for him to say that 2018 was his first year. There wasn’t a need for him to say that this is the first year under a new game plan. There wasn’t a need for him to call this season a success when it isn’t. There wasn’t a need for him to use injuries as an excuse. Buckley certainly hasn’t. Leon Cameron hasn’t either.

How many players copied what Worsfold said? Fantasia used injuries as an excuse after the final and called the season a success. He says 10 other teams would be wishing to be in our position. This guy is in our leadership group.
Hurley tells us about the learnings when this is what his 5th finals loss? This may be Worsfold’s 2nd final with us, but Heppell, Hurley, TBC and Hooker have been around for a lot longer than that.

We lack on field leadership. Woosha should take control of this situation and make sure he informs our players that this isn’t what success looks like. It’s important for players that haven’t tasted any success.

We need to readjust things our game plan doesn't work when we play good it looks good and exciting and when we play bad we are just so far off the pace.
i know this year we had a cruel year with injuries and capability of getting our best side on the park and healthy. Collingwood did it last year and still managed to make a Grand Final and only be a kick away from winning it. Changes need to be made.

thats a weird one - generally a game plan only changes with a regime

i cant recall a time a coach has drastically changed his teams game plan from year to year, maybe tweak, but not change. its like a dna thing.

with our run and gun sling game being so linked with our team and coach right now (because its so against the norm) any drastic change to it would immediatly have the media spys and footy world saying , woosh isnt coahing anymore, its one of the other boys. Cue the derailing media storm all year.

Id say you can look forward to another year of sling shot football now that john has been backed by the board.

Richmond did when the got rid of everyone but Dimma. Besides we are always going to be forced to play sling shot football as we dont have the players to win effective clearances.

its kind of funny that the first teams eliminated from the finals get the blow torch on them much more than the teams that missed the finals. I understand there is more focus on them because they are the only 2 out, rather than one of ten the week before but in the end, they still made the finals overr the other stragglers. Why smash the 8th placed team in the media more than ones that finished 10th or 9th?

I didnt see no, 'do they need nuclear change' crap spoken about port or norf or hawthorn...

8th and out is the poisoned chalace

Richmond did when the got rid of everyone but Dimma. Besides we are always going to be forced to play sling shot football as we dont have the players to win effective clearances.

guess thats why you cant just change at the drop of a hat, there are many moving parts to a footy club, when you go 'all in' it takes more than a change in tactics for it to work. Clearly the sling game has with it a draft strategy of using those types of players, a training and fitness regime which 'supposedly' benefits quick outside play - ect ect

how does change happen? do you start drafing brutes then change to a contested style? weed out the flankers one by one?

too complicated for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back