Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
It might be plausible, but what evidence do we have that he doesn’t want the job longer term? I’d say the longer the tenure the better for any coach as they see these things as long term projects.

Roos was a little different as basically as soon as they won 2005 flag he started saying he wasn’t a career coach and would be moving on at some point. He achieved what he wanted to at Sydney.

Particularly with so many jobs having been made available, I highly doubt it’s something Worsfold would sign on to. I reckon he’d walk... happy to sacrifice one year to hopefully be able to get a job elsewhere.

Not to mention it’s stupidity of the part of the club unless it’s an actual retirement and the coach doesn’t want to go on. You can’t tell the future. What if we have a ripping year next year and everything is looking awesome for 2021? We move on the coach and completely destroy our chances right in the middle of a premiership window, like Collingwood did in 2011?
Exactly right, and if you announced an official succession plan, you end up with the collingwood situation. As it stands if we did happen to think Woosh was close to a flag after next year we still have the option of keeping him if we and he wants it.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The problem with the Collingwood plan was it was not what Mick signed up for. Bucks did not want Mick involved in talking to the players and staff and wanted him at arms length which was not the original deal.

That’s Mick’s excuse for walking out. Fast is he signed on for a deal he couldn’t refuse at the time when it looked like his career was coming to an end (5 years security at big money), then walked out halfway through it when they had success and that meant he’d be able to get a coaching gig elsewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a cockup from all parties and I think probably cost Collingwood at least one flag (happily), but Mick changed his mind.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
There isnt necessarily anything to gain from announcing a succession plan. Didn't work at the pies. Did it work at Melbourne? Hard to say. Roos to Longmire was a really smooth transition. Was that announced?

Pies didn't work because Malthouse wanted to be hands on and bucks changed his mind on it
Melbourne were down the bottom of ladder and if provided hope, Roos also left
Roos to Longmire they were a near finals side to become a great finals side that wasn't facing Melbourne media scrutiny.

As I said if we start the pre season like last 2 years the knives will be out and our club will bend at the knees.

If they're not prepared to announce then great there backing themselves to step up to challenge.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
3 coaches were sacked of the bottom 10. Clarko has a 5-year leave pass, Goodwin took Melbourne to a prelim last year, Longmire is rebuilding Sydney, plenty of pressure on Hinkley. More pressure will come on Dew next year.

Woosha is not being singled out.
My mistake, 5 coaches of the bottom 10 have been sacked.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Rutten favourite to take over Adelaide
Would be a big loss given the improvement in our defence. I won’t talk about his head coaching credentials as I wouldn’t have a clue, I can only go by what I hear and we could lose on that front too.

Best of luck to him if he decides that’s what he wants. We may soon know if he’s been promised the Essendon job in 12 months I suppose.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I laugh because people think Worsfold will coach beyond next year. He would have gone this year, but our intelligentsia, known as the board, saw fit to extend his contract for winning one game. Would he be coach if they didn't make such an idiotic mistake?

No and that's the point.

He's coaching because he has a contract not because he's doing a good job.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Back