Frankster177

Cancelled
Dec 22, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
AC Milan
it was actually more boring in the late 80's. but to each their own.
The early and mid 80's were good though.

dezlav

Debutant
Jul 21, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing F1
I miss Ayrton.

Here is what most Formula 1 addicts, like me, today still remember as

"THAT LAP"!!!!

Hot Action.

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkCyo24fABg[Youtube]

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
"THAT LAP"!!!!

THIS LAP

[YOUTUBE]5MAvSZPHSZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Its a basic principle of racing, the less you steer you car around a corner, the faster you can go.....same thing applies in the wet...
Unless there's a racing line the grips out wide where you steer less....so many proffessional drivers don't know that...
The best of everything is always the simplest....

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I'm hoping to get this film for my birthday. Senna was a great driver and, as demonstrated when he saved Erik Comas, a good person too.

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
Not being a Top Gear fan I only just stumbled onto this on youtube not sure how old it is.

Lewis is like a kid in a toy shop driving one of the greatest F1 cars ever the MP4/4. (the other is the MP4/13 of course :D)

[youtube]WmBl_XT0BpU[/youtube]

So in that vid Hamilton thinks Senna had no fear? Hamilton would be very very wrong.

There's fear and there's intolerance and then theres paranoia. Fear is an emotion you get from knowlage and from that knowlage a respect.

Senna knew that if he was scared of s**t that the other driver would be scared of that same s**t, So Senna used his knowlage to play on that. Once he out psyched a guy , he never needed push the envolope again in that manner with that guy.

Sport is filled with many such examples , cricket has sledging and bouncers, football used to have hip and shoulders and such...

Viv richards use to go out without a helmet because it took away any intimidation a fast bowler may use.
After all bouncers are just an act of a bully, what happens when you take away a bullies tool? He becomes weak....In vivs day when you walked out to bat with a helmet you were acknowlaging a weakness...

Smokin joes fear was based on knowlage and with that knowlage he turned it around and put it back on the bowler.

Senna did similar when a driver bluffed senna by positioning their car in such away senna wont be racing if he tries to overatake and fails , senna called that bluff...took away the bullies tool.....

I dont think prost understood this either, I think Mansel did.

Cole Dammett

Backyard Cricket Hero
Apr 7, 2007
The Bay
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bays - Giants - Bite
Just watched this, damn it was so good! Being born in 1990 I had no idea how good he actually was or anything, I've become a little obsessed with him now. It sounds weird because he died so long ago, but after watching it I've just had this constant feeling of 'I can't believe he is dead'. What are the best Senna books to read, keen to buy and read some but don't know what ones to get?

Also didn't I see ads a few weeks ago during F1 coverage etc saying this was out now on DVD? I swear I did yet I go into JBs and Sanity and can't find it apart from a preorder in Sanity which doesn't have a release date on it.

He was the greatest ever before he passed away

Greatest qualifier ever & greatest wet weather driver I would agree with. Greatest ever, not in my opinion.

TigerFan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2004
Hobart Rock City
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
the 'other' team
Greatest qualifier ever & greatest wet weather driver I would agree with. Greatest ever, not in my opinion.

while it's always difficult to compare eras, I think Senna inspired a sense of hero worship that no F1 driver has ever matched.

I mean, if we're going to compare statistics, Michael has him beaten. if we're going to compare him to his team-mates, Prost was his equal.

and if we're going to compare aesthetic flair, and the ability to bring joy to the masses?

Senna is, and will always be, in a league of his own.

and that, in itself, is why some people will never understand why he's the greatest. they'll sit down, they'll compare the eras, they'll compare the statistics, they'll choose a more successful driver.

but what they'll never understand is, when it comes to the legend of Ayrton Senna, what he achieved was not nearly as important as how he achieved it.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Saw it a few months back and was a bit underwhelmed. A few things that struck me though:

• The s**t load of people in the McLaren pit that had to be held back when they were changing his front wing after the collision with Prost.
  • The eerie image of Donnelly lying motionless on the track outside his car after his accident.
  • The non existence of Mansell in the film, his other great rival of that era.

As a documentary the Right To Win is a good view, entire movie here:

[YOUTUBE]Wl7rPM8_FgQ[/YOUTUBE]

Jakko

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Some of the Prost v Senna talk lately inspired me to crack out my old almanac from 88/89 when they were in the same car.

I could only be bothered to do one year, 1988.

Senna outqualified Prost 14 of the 16 races (one of the Prost poles was the French GP which he was always good at), both drivers used to rotate who used the "qualifying" car back then too.

In terms of who finished the races higher, I only counted the races in which both finished. Senna had 7 and Prost had 5 (2 of those 5 for Prost were with Senna well down the field with problems of some sort).

What a great era.

johnnymart1n

Draftee
Dec 11, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Watched this many times now - love it. Big Senna fan (though Michael Schumacher is my favourite ever driver as a Ferrari tragic who suffered for a long time before he was scooped up from then Benetton).

You cannot compare drivers from different eras. Too hard. Too many variables and unknowns. What I know is this: Senna and Schumacher shared the same traits. Both seeked perfection. Both were intense (Schumi has backed off in his second coming though - driving for pure satisfaction now). Both were faster in their prime than any other driver on the circuit in the same car by a second or more. Both were ruthless on the track. Both wanted to win more than anything else.

It's a shame we lost Senna on that fateful day in May 94. Schumacher as the young pup wanting to take on Senna would have brought the best out of Senna.

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Watched this for the first time tonight. Absolutely incredible movie, very moving as well. I didn't know much about Senna so it was great to be able to get an insight into his career and in particular his rivalry with Prost.

Oh how good it would be to have a rivalry as good as that right now. Would be so good to watch. Webber and Vettel/Hamilton and Button aren't even rivalries in comparison. It would've been great to see how the rivalry between Senna and Schumacher would've turned out.

Seems like that move to Williams turned out to be the beginning of his downfall. Going by the movie, it seems remarkable that he was able to get it on pole with its troubles. The change in rules seemed to greatly effect it.

Still strapped to his seat (what was left of it) and his legs on wrong angles.:(
I didn't know about this accident until I saw the accident but I honestly thought he was dead. Body was completely out of shape and just made you feel sick in the stomach.

Also, why would you have not cancelled the event after not one, but two major incidents on the weekend. Surely the death of a driver shows that the track is unsafe and shouldn't be raced on. Barrichello was very lucky not to be another too.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just finished.
10/10

Moved me to tears.
Funny because i despised him when he was still alive.

Vale Ayrton

My sentiments exactly.
I was always a Prost/McLaren fan and couldn't stand Senna.
The documentary has renewed my interest in the sport that I used to get up at 1am in the morning to watch when I was a teenager and filled me with great memories.
Vale Ayrton, a champion I never really appreciated until 17 years after his death.

Jakko

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I have watched about half of it so far.

First impression was a touch of disapointment over how much of his early career was overlooked, like the 22 minute mark was up to his 1988 championship.

Loving the drivers meeting footage, like Piquet and a majority of drivers sticking up for Ayton over his treatment from the 1989 prost closing the door on Ayrton to win the title (while alain tries to slink uncomfortably as low as he can get in his seat), and somehow Senna gets a 6 month suspended sentence out of it (even though Prost clearly decided to end Sennas title push with contact). Then the drivers meeting showing Senna pleading with that french pig Balestre over a simple safety issue.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
To be honest i think i am too bigger F1/Senna fan to like the movie as much as i should was very meh in my opinion. By little bro on the other hand who really only watches the Melbourne GP every year loved it.

I kept thinking s**t they missed out so much here and there. Ie:
  • Right at the start they show the first time he was ever in an F1 car. They dont speak that it was a Williams he was testing and that he set a ripping time in it at Donnington.
  • They then pretty much skip his whole Lotus career including the 86 season which he (along with Piquet and Mansell) where in the championship fight with Prost until the end. The start of the Prost Senna rivalry.
  • Then a few other things that have never really been documented that much as well. Apparently after Berger crashed at Tamberello a few years prior Ayrton and Berger wanted to try and alter the corner somehow for safety but could not work out how to do it as there was a huge river behind the corner.
  • Rumour has it at the end of 93 when McLaren were testing new engines for 94 (peugoet won out in the end) Ayrton tested a McLaren Lamborghini and said it was the most powerful thing he'd driven but due to its power it kept shitting itself. If it became realible he wouldve stuck around at McLaren for 94 and on.
  • Eddie Jordan offered Ayrton a 49% share in his team to try and entice him over as well for the 94 season.
I was dissapointed knowing all of this sort of stuff once i watched the film knowing some what i thought was interesting info was just skipped over.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate you've proved you may just have the biggest dick in this thread as far as F1 knowledge goes. How long do you want the movie to go for?
But, you've spelled Tamburello incorrectly:rolleyes:

Back