The Law Separation of powers

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Does it really exist in any realistic form in this country?

This thread is asking for realistic input regarding the Australian aspects of the political and legal barrier (i.e seperation of powers).

1) This thread is not dedicated to Bilo family case specifically
2) This thread does not exist as any left/right point scoring w$nkathon, There's plenty of threads already to facilitate this already.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Well, they are still in an Australian territory even if it is Christmas Island..

In regards to your actual discussion. The separation of powers has been gradually closing to no separation since 2001. The huge amount of secrecy and ability to use the old "national secrets" line helps government be able to blur the line between the legislature and law enforcement/judicial system. In this instance I don't think this is necessarily the case. The department has the power to have someone removed from the country and they are exercising that, rightly or wrongly.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Well, the separation of legislative and executive powers has never really existed in Australia.

When it comes to judicial power, I'd like to think that our judicial system is at least not as partisanly politicised as say the American one, but there has to be a question as to how much power it actually has to limit the power of government.

Last edited:

JW Frogen

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
No.

It does not exist in Australia.

We never had a Madison.

We had a Bligh and a rum rebellion and a high court wearing their powdered wigs on too tight.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Spiritually, culturally, maybe.

But anyone that pays rent or a mortgage knows the more prosaic realities of it.

Australia is corparate entity not a sovrign nation.

Leagaly
Spiritualy
Culturally
Morally

Always was, all ways be, aboriginal land.

We live by the law of the gun.

Back