SEQAFL Div 4 Central 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

why doesnt the AFLQ say no you cant have a 5ths and let the players filter through to clubs like collingwood park and Redbacks etc to enable them to have two teams and grow their club? Calamvale are reliant on Collingwood park players to feild two teams now, yet the AFLQ still dont have a policy to deal with strenghtening existing clubs, just ones that weaken them

Why doesn't the AFL say no to Collingwood you can't have over 50 000 members, cap it at 50 000 and let the rest filter onto the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne's membership list. Better still tell Geelong to send their excess members up the highway to help strengthen weaker teams.

By the way I have no idea if collingwood are even past 50000 members just making a point that no club/business would ever turn people away, you try to do your best to keep everyone who wants to be involved with you. Who is going to drive from St Lucia to Collingwood Park to train twice a week?

By the way pretty sure this is a one off game to give people a run who have missed out on selection (wouldn't know for sure though).

Yeah spot on GT15..btw the pies had 77,000 last year. No club wants to turn away players. Especially in our league, where blokes just want to have a run around with their mates. Should be a good clash against the 5ths tomorrow. A lot of the boys playing for the devils tomorrow night are pretty new to the game, so I expect it to be a good contest.

Why doesn't the AFL say no to Collingwood you can't have over 50 000 members, cap it at 50 000 and let the rest filter onto the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne's membership list. Better still tell Geelong to send their excess members up the highway to help strengthen weaker teams.

By the way I have no idea if collingwood are even past 50000 members just making a point that no club/business would ever turn people away, you try to do your best to keep everyone who wants to be involved with you. Who is going to drive from St Lucia to Collingwood Park to train twice a week?

By the way pretty sure this is a one off game to give people a run who have missed out on selection (wouldn't know for sure though).

all afl clubs have a limit on numbers of players, so the competition is even. strengthening the competition should be the aflqs priority not creating super clubs like Aspley and UQ where clubs in close proximetry cant field one or two teams. Aspley has 400 junior players, the largest junior club in Australia, yet Zillmere folded because the AFLQ have no policies to keep clubs in existence. yes good on the super clubs, but all clubs look to the aflq to put practices in place that create an environment where a club can decide where it should be and have a resonable expectation that a new club will not be allowed to form within its immediate area, which is what a new team for an existing club is. there is a lot to be said for the old sqafl days when clubs had a vote on the logistics of the competition, not the adhoc days we now have where the future is not even considered. but you guys continue to live in your bubble and watch the competition burst. seriously UQ dont have an oval for their current senior teams to play on without the help of other clubs , and now those clubs struggling for numbers are going to be asked to host 5ths games. JOKE.

why doesnt the AFLQ say no you cant have a 5ths and let the players filter through to clubs like collingwood park and Redbacks etc to enable them to have two teams and grow their club? Calamvale are reliant on Collingwood park players to feild two teams now, yet the AFLQ still dont have a policy to deal with strenghtening existing clubs, just ones that weaken them

Hang on how would that work? You're either in Div3 with Calamvale or Div 4 with Collingwood Park? Not both. At least not for the full season. I'd hate to see what happens to either side come June 30 when you have to stay where you are (ie no further transfers).

or does that not apply in this instance? I can guarentee it doesn't take much but I am confused?

Hang on how would that work? You're either in Div3 with Calamvale or Div 4 with Collingwood Park? Not both. At least not for the full season. I'd hate to see what happens to either side come June 30 when you have to stay where you are (ie no further transfers).

or does that not apply in this instance? I can guarentee it doesn't take much but I am confused?

Calamvale reserves will be re enforced by the leftovers or doubling up of Collingwood park players each week, clubs agreement, allowed by the AFLQ.
Look at the players list from tonights team list for CP and compare with the list of Calamvale game against Moorooka. Some genuine ressies teams are going to miss finals because of the 4th div draw. Night game for CP this week so anyones guess who doubles up for Calamvale tomorrow, then the double ups for UQ from the 3rd div guys in the 4th div comp and things are not Kosher.

Calamvale reserves will be re enforced by the leftovers or doubling up of Collingwood park players each week, clubs agreement, allowed by the AFLQ.
Look at the players list from tonights team list for CP and compare with the list of Calamvale game against Moorooka. Some genuine ressies teams are going to miss finals because of the 4th div draw. Night game for CP this week so anyones guess who doubles up for Calamvale tomorrow, then the double ups for UQ from the 3rd div guys in the 4th div comp and things are not Kosher.

No it's not, I have to agree with you. I know it's only Div 4, but doesn't that hold true if a team missed out on finals in that Div because CP played players who were dual registered? As I said before you should be registered in one team or another, NOT both! It's harsh I know, but why change the rules to suit one club over another?

And if they don't need to be registered at Calamvale, then why have a registration process?

I know we're not playing for sheep stations here and forgive the old fashioned comment, but does AFLQ wish to show any integrity at this level, or is it a case of "It's a low level comp, no one really cares that much"

all afl clubs have a limit on numbers of players, so the competition is even. strengthening the competition should be the aflqs priority not creating super clubs like Aspley and UQ where clubs in close proximetry cant field one or two teams. Aspley has 400 junior players, the largest junior club in Australia, yet Zillmere folded because the AFLQ have no policies to keep clubs in existence. yes good on the super clubs, but all clubs look to the aflq to put practices in place that create an environment where a club can decide where it should be and have a resonable expectation that a new club will not be allowed to form within its immediate area, which is what a new team for an existing club is. there is a lot to be said for the old sqafl days when clubs had a vote on the logistics of the competition, not the adhoc days we now have where the future is not even considered. but you guys continue to live in your bubble and watch the competition burst. seriously UQ dont have an oval for their current senior teams to play on without the help of other clubs , and now those clubs struggling for numbers are going to be asked to host 5ths games. JOKE.

Yep all fair points there IPW. I guess i think that to turn a guy away from UQ will result in him turning up at Calamvale is not going to happen in reality.

AFLQ have to figure out there criteria for letting expansion happen, could it be that letting Collingwood park form 2 years ago has had an effect on Calamvales numbers? I'm not sure but i think that is more likely than UQ having a 4ths team. No teams within UQs area are struggling for numbers, Yeronga and Sherwood both have thirds.

University based clubs are always different to other traditional sports clubs, if you look at the other codes (cricket, rugby, soccer) they will all have teams stretching further down into the lower grades due to a much younger demographic within their area. There is a high turn over of players at UQ due to people graduating and moving on once employed. Whose to say that getting a positive footy experience while at uni isn't going to result in them joining their local footy club in their new area, hence strengthening AFL across the country.

Anyway a bit of a ramble but I just think don't turn people away if there is a way to give them a game. Sending them to a club miles away isn't going to work.

No it's not, I have to agree with you. I know it's only Div 4, but doesn't that hold true if a team missed out on finals in that Div because CP played players who were dual registered? As I said before you should be registered in one team or another, NOT both! It's harsh I know, but why change the rules to suit one club over another?

And if they don't need to be registered at Calamvale, then why have a registration process?

I know we're not playing for sheep stations here and forgive the old fashioned comment, but does AFLQ wish to show any integrity at this level, or is it a case of "It's a low level comp, no one really cares that much"

got it in one mate, poor policies equall weak clubs stuggling to field the teams they nominate.

Yep all fair points there IPW. I guess i think that to turn a guy away from UQ will result in him turning up at Calamvale is not going to happen in reality.

AFLQ have to figure out there criteria for letting expansion happen, could it be that letting Collingwood park form 2 years ago has had an effect on Calamvales numbers? I'm not sure but i think that is more likely than UQ having a 4ths team. No teams within UQs area are struggling for numbers, Yeronga and Sherwood both have thirds.

University based clubs are always different to other traditional sports clubs, if you look at the other codes (cricket, rugby, soccer) they will all have teams stretching further down into the lower grades due to a much younger demographic within their area. There is a high turn over of players at UQ due to people graduating and moving on once employed. Whose to say that getting a positive footy experience while at uni isn't going to result in them joining their local footy club in their new area, hence strengthening AFL across the country.

Anyway a bit of a ramble but I just think don't turn people away if there is a way to give them a game. Sending them to a club miles away isn't going to work.

Just to correct you there. The Woodsmen are a tennant of the Sherwood Football ground, they are not Sherwood's Third team.

The Western Magpies don't want a third team as they don't wish to administer it. The Woodsmen is a seperate club set up outside of that club, run entirely by people outside the WMAFC. They just pay for use of the ground to train, play etc.

There is no association with the Magpies at all

they dont go to clubs miles away, they go to clubs nearer their home not their uni. they play for wynnum, struggling for numbers, they play for Kenmore, or yeronga, or Calmavale, these clubs are limited to their chosen division and one thirds team, the player who miss out filter to other clubs and we have a strong competition, where clubs can know if they will be viable from season to season, not wondering if UQ will feild 6 sides next year. Is the AFLQ here to represent the wishes of ALL member clubs or to act without their input and agreement on things that directly affect the life of struggling clubs? I know RUL will come on and spin the yarn, but it is just wrong. but improbablywrong anyway, so no point going on anymore anyway.

they dont go to clubs miles away, they go to clubs nearer their home not their uni. they play for wynnum, struggling for numbers, they play for Kenmore, or yeronga, or Calmavale, these clubs are limited to their chosen division and one thirds team, the player who miss out filter to other clubs and we have a strong competition, where clubs can know if they will be viable from season to season, not wondering if UQ will feild 6 sides next year. Is the AFLQ here to represent the wishes of ALL member clubs or to act without their input and agreement on things that directly affect the life of struggling clubs? I know RUL will come on and spin the yarn, but it is just wrong. but improbablywrong anyway, so no point going on anymore anyway.

I explained this to you already in detail on the Div 3 thread as have others above on here, but here goes again. Restricting the number of teams a club can have will not directly result in the excess players moving to another club. The majority of new players to UQ are young students who want to try a new sport with their mates. A lot of them live in colleges on campus and have no means of nor desire to travel to Calamvale/Collingwood Park/Redbacks/Wynnum/etc 3 times a week to play for other clubs as you're suggesting. If they were forced to do so they would simply not bother. Rather than strengthening the competition, your arbitrary rule would deny kids the chance to play footy.

Calamvale reserves will be re enforced by the leftovers or doubling up of Collingwood park players each week, clubs agreement, allowed by the AFLQ. Look at the players list from tonights team list for CP and compare with the list of Calamvale game against Moorooka. Some genuine ressies teams are going to miss finals because of the 4th div draw. Night game for CP this week so anyones guess who doubles up for Calamvale tomorrow, then the double ups for UQ from the 3rd div guys in the 4th div comp and things are not Kosher.

No one is doubling up, the 5ths side consists entirely of the guys who cannot get a game in the Div 3 sides.

No one is doubling up, the 5ths side consists entirely of the guys who cannot get a game in the Div 3 sides.[/quote]

So putting aside the differences of opinion ;), how did your 5ths (spares?) go against Yeronga?

I think I heard on Friday night that you've approcahed Collingwood Park for a game this weekend?

So putting aside the differences of opinion ;), how did your 5ths (spares?) go against Yeronga?

I think I heard on Friday night that you've approcahed Collingwood Park for a game this weekend?

Wasn't too bad mate. Nice friendly hit out. My first game in about 2 years aswell, so my mate Bennallack (great bloke, gun player) from Yeronga towelled me up prettu badly :D

I enjoy this friendly games and am looking forward to Collingwood Park this friday night. Perhaps not the drive, but if the game is played in the same relaxed manner as last night, will be good fun for all involved.

Also got games against Jimboomba and Magpies lined up I believe. Our VP has done a great job to give the guys in the Division a friendly hit out whenever teams have a bye. My boys get a friendly game, the opposition don't miss a game :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't too bad mate. Nice friendly hit out. My first game in about 2 years aswell, so my mate Bennallack (great bloke, gun player) from Yeronga towelled me up prettu badly :D

I enjoy this friendly games and am looking forward to Collingwood Park this friday night. Perhaps not the drive, but if the game is played in the same relaxed manner as last night, will be good fun for all involved.

Also got games against Jimboomba and Magpies lined up I believe. Our VP has done a great job to give the guys in the Division a friendly hit out whenever teams have a bye. My boys get a friendly game, the opposition don't miss a game :D

Interesting comment..... I'm on the Board of the Woodsmen and it hasn't been discussed at training or on Friday night. Unless our president has gone "rogue" and has made the call on his own.

:)

Will have to put it to the boys and see what the general consensus is.

Cheers to the Uni fifths for the game Saturday night. The game was played in great spirits and it was good for our boys to have one final hit out before our season begins. So Pine Rivers look to be the goods this year. Beating the redbacks at their own ground is fairly impressive.

Mate, Im a Strathpine newbie. Just moved in 6 months ago. Been with the devils for 11 years, so im travelling between the two at the moment. Nice easy trip down the road for our first game of the season though

good win by the swans on Saturday. Bit too good for our boys this time. Sounded like a close contest at Chelmer for the other game.

Woodsmen vs Reddies was a strange game. Lacked intensity, with Woodsmen on top most of the day, however in the end losing 3 blokes to injury in the 1st quarter and 2 more during the game was a telling stat and Reddies came home in the last quarter with a wet sail.

Reddies also lost a bloke to what looked a pretty serious knee injury in the 3rd quarter, hope he's travelling ok and has had some good news.

First night game for the devils tonight. The boys are pumped. I see the redbacks have a game scheduled tonight also. Don't think I've ever played a night game at Glen Logan park. Did their lights get upgraded this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back