SEQAFL Div 4 Central 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard maybe 8 teams. Just not clear who they are. Yeronga, Woodsmen, Jimboomba, Collingwood Park from last year joined by Zillmere makes 5. Other possibles could be the above mentioned Beenleigh and Uni, maybe a Kenmore or Morningside side? Would be great to have a larger number of teams.

I've heard maybe 8 teams. Just not clear who they are. Yeronga, Woodsmen, Jimboomba, Collingwood Park from last year joined by Zillmere makes 5. Other possibles could be the above mentioned Beenleigh and Uni, maybe a Kenmore or Morningside side? Would be great to have a larger number of teams.

I have heard (through a source close to the club) that Morningside may look at entering a side in Div 4, as they are only allowed to field one U18 team this year by AFLQ and not 2 as in previous years. My understanding is that they have enough player interest for 2 teams in the U18 age group.

Unless AFLQ direct Morningside to "share" these excess players with other U18 sides in the area (ie Wynnum, Coorparoo etc), this may be an option for them. Of course they're going to lose players if they can only field one U18 team, so fielding a Div 4 side helps the club keep the majority of those blokes playing together.

What I didn't like hearing was that to top up this Div 4 side they would need to use excess players from their Senior reserves team. But given that's a NEAFL side, I doubt they'd be allowed to do that (Mind you, stranger things have happened).

The club is meeting over the weekend to go over their options. Should be decided (by either the club or AFLQ) in the next week or so. Stay tuned..........

I have heard (through a source close to the club) that Morningside maylook at entering a side in Div 4, as they are only allowed to field one U18 team this year by AFLQ and not 2 as in previous years. My understanding is that they have enough player interest for 2 teams in the U18 age group.

Unless AFLQ direct Morningside to "share" these excess players with other U18 sides in the area (ie Wynnum, Coorparoo etc), this may be an option for them. Of course they're going to lose players if they can only field one U18 team, so fielding a Div 4 side helps the club keep the majority of those blokes playing together.

What I didn't like hearing was that to top up this Div 4 side they would need to use excess players from their Senior reserves team. But given that's a NEAFL side, I doubt they'd be allowed to do that (Mind you, stranger things have happened).

The club is meeting over the weekend to go over their options. Should be decided (by either the club or AFLQ) in the next week or so. Stay tuned..........

Any updates on the aftermath of the meating? or any developments on new teams entering?

Any updates on the aftermath of the meating? or any developments on new teams entering?

Haven't heard anything at this stage, but I expect to in the next day or so.

Anyone catch the news footage on Channel 7 (??) last night of the floods in Jimboomba. It looked like the clubhouse and fields went under!! Unless it was a rugby league/union club in the area.

If someone from the club is on this forum, can you let us know how you fared (are faring)? It looked pretty severe.

Ok word coming through is 7 teams with a possible 8th team interested (Beenleigh). Teams are Yeronga, Jimboomba, Woodsmen, Collingwood Park, Zillmere, University and Kenmore. Second hand info mind you. Anyone that was at the meeting want to confirm? Exciting news for Div 4.

Hopefully the Buffs can muster the interest to put a Div 4 side on the park again. Was a real shame to see the numbers fall away last year as from a club point of view, cattle aside, it was great to have Friday night footy at Dauth Park in addition to the added atmosphere around the place. Just my opinion, not the official opinion of the club :)

Hopefully the Buffs can muster the interest to put a Div 4 side on the park again. Was a real shame to see the numbers fall away last year as from a club point of view, cattle aside, it was great to have Friday night footy at Dauth Park in addition to the added atmosphere around the place. Just my opinion, not the official opinion of the club :)

I'll ask again Morro, if the Buffs get a team together surely you'll suit up for a couple of games? ;)

Uni AND Kenmore? I had no idea the Bears had the numbers (unless their 18's have massive overflow)

At least it gets the numbers and credibility up in the division, I reckon for the last couple of years Div 4 has been an after thought for AFLQ. Almost a case of "well teams want to play and I suppose we should let them". I can guarantee the support has NOT been there though.

Well a draft draw that looks a lot like the final draw is out and it features 8 teams.

Beenleigh, Collingwood Park, Jimboomba, Kenmore, UQ, Woodsmen, Yeronga & Zillmere.

It's a 16 round draw with everyone playing everyone twice and then also playing 2 random clubs 3 times. Club presidents agreed to this to stretch the season out a bit more, and the AFL aint fair so why should Div 4 be fair?!

Rumour has it that Zillmere look very very strong. Cararra Reserves have had hitouts with both Jimboomba and Zillmere and beat Jimboomba by 6-7 goals and got done by the same margin vs Zillmere. Danny Dickfos apparently bringing his won footy, pulling in 20 odd marks and kicking a big bag playing in the midfield!

Good luck to any poor soul who has to play on him this season... They have reportedly got a bunch of very talented old blokes out of retirement down there, in addition to some young whippets. Those of us oldies that play in this league will surely agree with me that these young little whippets that run rings around you aren't much fun! They should be handicapped like racehorses :)

Looking forward to a good season though. Hopefully the final 4 won't be decided after 1 round of games this year and its a competition with a bit more credibility after being a virtual afterthought for the past few years.

AFLQ needs to realise that keeping these clubs going is good for the game in Brisbane.

Good to hear Danny Dickfos still running around, I'll pick Zillmere to be playing in the GF this year on that info alone.

Zillmere will quickly move up the divisions over the next few years, as long as they remain financially viable. There are some loyal ex 1st grade Zillmere players still angry at the machinations that led to Zillmere's demise in 2009 who have or will rejoin the club towards the ends of their careers. While past their best, they'll still do well at this level.

Great to see the Eagles up and running. And you make some great points about ex players. Loyalty is second to none at Zillmere, hopefully they do regain momentum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beenleigh officially out of the Div 4 Central comp, leaving just 7 teams - so I imagine a bye will be introduced for those weeks.

Unless there was more to come about Morningside putting in a side?

Great to see the Eagles up and running. And you make some great points about ex players. Loyalty is second to none at Zillmere, hopefully they do regain momentum
how can you say loyalty is second to none at zillmere? why didnt they just drop back a league or 2 4 years ago when they left the NEAFL

Are Zillmere going wear their Original Blue Jumper with the White Eagle? That was an awesome looking Jumper.

With Zillmere looking solid, Redbacks running around again, Collingwood Park getting a good recruit or 2 and the Woodsmen playing some good pre-season footy against sides in higher divisions - Div4 is going to be a pretty good standard again this year, perhaps more so than back in 09 when a few sides would have easily accounted for teams in higher divisions.

how can you say loyalty is second to none at zillmere? why didnt they just drop back a league or 2 4 years ago when they left the NEAFL
They were financially stuffed and couldn't even afford to pay to use the ground. Even the masters team had to move to Sandgate as the BCC wanted them to pay a few thousand to use O'Callaghan Park that year. Somehow the juniors clung on (I think the BCC did not want to bump off the juniors-bad publicity) and the club has finally had a chance to start up the seniors again. It wasn't a lack of loyalty that killed off the seniors for a few years. Unfortunately this has happened before, but each time the club comes back.

We had a good hit out against Jimboomba on the weekend with half our side missing and I was surprised at the difference between the 2 divisions. That's not a knock on Jimboomba at all, but as I haven't really seen much of Div 4 I wasnt expecting such a difference.

They were financially stuffed and couldn't even afford to pay to use the ground. Even the masters team had to move to Sandgate as the BCC wanted them to pay a few thousand to use O'Callaghan Park that year. Somehow the juniors clung on (I think the BCC did not want to bump off the juniors-bad publicity) and the club has finally had a chance to start up the seniors again. It wasn't a lack of loyalty that killed off the seniors for a few years. Unfortunately this has happened before, but each time the club comes back.
dont get me wrong it will be good to see Zillmere up and going again hope they wear the traditional jumper...

dont get me wrong it will be good to see Zillmere up and going again hope they wear the traditional jumper...
Not sure about the jumper. I'd love to see the old blue and white Windsor Zillmere strip- it had an aura about it. I think they might be going for a more modern generic white/blue/yellow style a bit like the WC Eagles away jumper.

We had a good hit out against Jimboomba on the weekend with half our side missing and I was surprised at the difference between the 2 divisions. That's not a knock on Jimboomba at all, but as I haven't really seen much of Div 4 I wasnt expecting such a difference.

There isn't really. there are plenty of sides in Div 3 that were well beaten in Div 4 but went up due to numbers. Pine Rivers is the only side that has been promoted on the back of a Premiership.

Griffith/Moorooka were non competitive in Div 4, Coomera never made a GF - and up they went. It's a numbers game.

I'm sure reserves aren't a great measure, but the Woodsmen vs Beenleigh Div 3 Ressies game was almost pointless it was so one-sided, and Woodies were missing significant quality from the side they put out there.

There isn't really. there are plenty of sides in Div 3 that were well beaten in Div 4 but went up due to numbers. Pine Rivers is the only side that has been promoted on the back of a Premiership.

Griffith/Moorooka were non competitive in Div 4, Coomera never made a GF - and up they went. It's a numbers game.

I'm sure reserves aren't a great measure, but the Woodsmen vs Beenleigh Div 3 Ressies game was almost pointless it was so one-sided, and Woodies were missing significant quality from the side they put out there.

You don't think there is much difference in quality between the divs? The top 5 sides in div 3 would destroy the top div 4 sides from what I saw.

Our ressies on the weekend were made up of only a handful of players that will play rd 1 IMO.

But you probably know more than me as that was my first real insight into div 4.

I didn't see too many of Jimboomba's regular players out there on Saturday, so its hard to say whether they have simply lost heaps - or they just didn't play.

I know they lost one very good player to Collingwood Park, but I didn't see many of their other players out there.

I don't believe the difference is great between the best sides in Div 4 and the better sides in Div 3, thats just an opinion based on who plays for who and how competitive promoted sides have been in Div 3 after being unsuccessful in Div 4.

Just looking at Griffith Moorooka in div 3 last year, they seem more competitive in that league than they were in Div 4, where it was essentially routine 100 point losses to the good sides. No doubt they recruited a few players, but not 100 points worth! Coomera were 10 goal losers in the Prelim in Div 4 and seem 'ok' in Div 3 but don't play finals.

Ipswich Div 3 has had players go to them for a game, after not being able to get a game with Div 4 clubs (including Woodsmen).

again, its all just opinion - but the main difference is that in div 4, a single club can be a 10 goal different side from week to week due to player availability and basic numbers. The measure isn't what your best side can do, the measure is what the side you usually put out there on the weekend can do and by that measure, no doubt there is a huge difference between Div 3 and 4. come finals time, though - suddenly everyone is available!

Zillmere players I refer to. Not admin. The shaw Sportz debacle was the end of the club, and poor decisions which lead to them having control. Talk to any player who spent time there, and you will see what Im talking about in regards to players loyalty to that jersey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back