SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Mayne didn't apply for a license. Same for noosa and Springwood!
I belive that the advice from AFLQ indicated that Mayne would not meet all the criteria and a lot of clubs including those from AP that moved in didn't either. My concern is the U18 comp will be seperated from Senior teams.
Marchoocy should have been in State league, especially with a great u18 group coming through.

I belive that the advice from AFLQ indicated that Mayne would not meet all the criteria and a lot of clubs including those from AP that moved in didn't either. My concern is the U18 comp will be seperated from Senior teams.
Marchoocy should have been in State league, especially with a great u18 group coming through.

From the AFLQ article about the restructure.....

"Not all Allied Pickford Cup Clubs chose to pursue the QAFL option, including Mayne, Noosa and minor premiers Springwood."

Wonder how many AP players and Club Presidents went to watch the TIS Cup Grand Final, witnessing a very high standard of just the reserves grade Comp. No AP Senior team would have come close to knocking over the Morningside 2's this year.

Can't see the Redlands boys heading over to play at Uni or the Western Magpies. Aspley overflow could head to Wilston Grange and Sandgate.

Southport overflow will go to the 4 QAFL Clubs the Gold Coast

Uni have made a brave decision,though brave decisions don't usually mean smart decisions.

Wonder how many AP players and Club Presidents went to watch the TIS Cup Grand Final, witnessing a very high standard of just the reserves grade Comp. No AP Senior team would have come close to knocking over the Morningside 2's this year.

Can't see the Redlands boys heading over to play at Uni or the Western Magpies. Aspley overflow could head to Wilston Grange and Sandgate.

Southport overflow will go to the 4 QAFL Clubs the Gold Coast

Uni have made a brave decision,though brave decisions don't usually mean smart decisions.

disagree with the bold bit, have no doubt the first couple of years Mside will be strong but believe the league will even out as juniors stay in their local area/club rather then go to Mside

Very strange that UQ gets a gig in Div 1, and that highest level a Sunshine Coast kid can play in senior footy without moving to Brisbane is effectively Div 2.

AFL struggles on the Sunshine Coast, with next to no coverage in the local media. I think it is only going to get worse now.

Pretty funny that they were talking about entering a Sunshine Coast team in the NEAFL a few years ago, and now they can't even put one in Division 1.

On the flip side, there is going to be some great local rivalries return in the Northern Division. Maroochydore verse Caloundra, Nambour verse Noosa etc. Some of these go back 20 years.

Will be interesting - potentially the local rag might talk more about the AFL bc of the local rivalries?

disagree with the bold bit, have no doubt the first couple of years Mside will be strong but believe the league will even out as juniors stay in their local area/club rather then go to Mside

Yeah think this will be the case too Speedy - M'side just won't pick up as many of the best kids from "outside" their junior set up.

Unfortunately JD I 'm not convinced good U18's leads to a good senior side - certainly helps fill gaps in your list but extremely unlikely that at a decent level of footy any more than half your side will be made up of local players. Certainly helps though.

My concern is more for the U18 comp now and hopefully it will consist of a "premier" division of the better U18 sides among all clubs. Reckon the 10am start is great and could be achieved still, just that not every game will consist of the 2 18's teams being the same as the rest of the day. Not insurmountable. My experience this year was that it worked really well and the clubs benefited from it with extras for their 2's when needed and just more people around the footy club on the Saturday. If I was running the comp i would be scheduling a 10am game every week whether it is 16's or 18's.

I watched that Morningside 2's GF last weekend and agree both them and Southport looked pretty solid front to back and would give most AP Seniors a good run for their money at the worst...

The UNI boys in the QAFL hey? The word is they are building some "AFL Complex" at St Lucia over the next couple of years and that's why their licence was approved, a bloke who used to play for them from work said they landed some big sponsor that is coughing up cash to load up on players both local and from south. no doubt they'll need them.

Would have thought that Maroochy would have got approved if Uni did or even before?

The confusing part for me is that on the Gold Coast we have one X AFL team, one X NEAFL team and 4 X QAFL teams???. Labrador were told that the football population did not warrant more than one NEAFL team, so does any one know why all of a sudden their lack of football population entitles the Gold coast to 40% of the QAFL.Or did the Football population on the Gold Coast expand enormously last week and I did not notice, or is pinocchio doing research for the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s
I was part of the UQ team of 3 who presented to AFLQ last Tuesday lads. There is talk of some ground development initiatives but, if they do happen, they are some years away. As for the sponsor - if there is one around we don't know them we would dearly love to meet them!
scholarships wouldve been the big factor.............

The confusing part for me is that on the Gold Coast we have one X AFL team, one X NEAFL team and 4 X QAFL teams???. Labrador were told that the football population did not warrant more than one NEAFL team, so does any one know why all of a sudden their lack of football population entitles the Gold coast to 40% of the QAFL.Or did the Football population on the Gold Coast expand enormously last week and I did not notice, or is pinocchio doing research for the AFL.

Not the only contradiction with the whole restructure LAB. No doubt the AFL uses statistics when it suits them and ignores them when it suits also.

i hope not! Gee whiz, the boys for instance that did play on scholarships aren't going to be the difference bn being competitive and not! They are 18yr olds for christ sake.

i hope not! Gee whiz, the boys for instance that did play on scholarships aren't going to be the difference bn being competitive and not! They are 18yr olds for christ sake.

Everything that I've heard has been about building the club into a long-term powerhouse. A large part of that is bringing in and developing the best young talent possible, and the scholarships are one way of doing that.

To be able to continue building into the future we obviously also have to be as competitive as possible as quickly as possible. That's not going to be easy but I'm sure the club will do everything they can to make it happen.

Everything that I've heard has been about building the club into a long-term powerhouse. A large part of that is bringing in and developing the best young talent possible, and the scholarships are one way of doing that.

To be able to continue building into the future we obviously also have to be as competitive as possible as quickly as possible. That's not going to be easy but I'm sure the club will do everything they can to make it happen.

I'm sure you will PP and don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see UQ in this comp if they can make a fist of it - like I said earlier, my experience as a coach and/or player with UQ has only ever been good BUT if they think scholarships to good young talent is going to make them competitive then I believe thats wrong - of the A grade list this year, probably lucky for more than 5 guys to be capable of holding their own in next years comp - thats a lot of players to find. TBH I could send you one tomorrow that I think is going to UQ as a student but then he will be also playing State 18's next year and so the number of games he will play for a club side is questionable. Good luck to you, alot of things in place to be a very strong footy club.

As a former Red Lion good luck in state league, but I am still dumbfounded on AFLQ's logic in allowing UQ to go up another notch after their first year in AP Cup, finishing in the bottom 4 without facilities that are AP standard at best. A great club but this could have a lot of negative impacts on UQ long term development.

A scary thought. Next year Springwood vs wynnum in the southern comp. wynnum this year in div 2 0-16, a %of 15, regularly getting smashed. Robina kicked 60 against them ffs. Against Springwood who only lost 2 games in the much higher quality AP cup. No doubt Hooper, Proud etc may leave and Wynnum may pick up a couple but geez it looks like that could be a rather embarrassing score. 500 not out of the question.

Having said that I do agree on the whole with the nth and sth idea in the lower divisions less travel for everyone so I guess some short term pain was always going to happen

any chance of putting a fence around the ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back